$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Aug 2, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #4,051 of 6,550
There are those all important screws on the back of the M. It isn't an iPhone; it can actually be opened. I definitely plan to install a larger battery once I figure out what will work and how to get properly into the unit. Still waiting for someone to "break down" the M.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #4,052 of 6,550
  There are those all important screws on the back of the M. It isn't an iPhone; it can actually be opened. I definitely plan to install a larger battery once I figure out what will work and how to get properly into the unit. Still waiting for someone to "break down" the M.

That sounds awesome. I'm sure there will be a larger capacity battery soon. Let me know how it goes.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #4,053 of 6,550

Can you be more precise because distortion could be any type of sound deemed offensive and in some cases even liked.  Is it a hiss, smear, crack, brightness, shoutiness?  

Electrically the Kaede is a much easier load than the Heaven in every way imaginable.  It's frequency response is a mess but that's a problem for your ears not the amp :p

People were getting weird sounds which they call noise, but not the noise we are accustomed to hearing like hiss.  There was a Korean user that was using an impedance adapter with his LCD-X to take out this sound or noise.  LCD-X is resistive and low impedance.  Some dynamic drivers are low impedance and close to flat impedance graph. I have heard this issue for my Galaxy S4 for low impedance phones, but it happened with BA iems also.  What it did was distorted the bass creating distortion.  IT was fixed by firmware upgrade.

I finally have time to answer this. SilverEars description sounds about right although I have not tried full size cans like the LCD-X. With the Kaede, the issue was especially obvious on one song where a bass line produced a distorted echo in my right earpiece. This did not happen with the Heaven VI or ES5 both of which drive super clean. If I then turned the M to line out mode, i.e. maximum volume at high gain producing an output of 1.2 Vrms, and then placed the Quickstep amp between it and the Kaede, the distortion disappeared and the Kaede (within its funky harmonic resonance sound profile) sounds fantastic. Actually it sounds as good as it ever has. So with the M outputting at maximum volume, and feeding an amp renowned for its black background, producing excellent results, the issue should not be background noise of the M. There is something in the circuit created by the M directly driving the Kaede that is causing distortion. I believe that it is the zero ohm impedance, in no small part because the problem is quite unique in the DAP world and there is no other satisfactory explanation.

My FAD 1601SC and 1602SS have similar issues with a smeared distorted sound directly from the M that completely disappears with the introduction of an intermediary amp. Again, my BA IEMs sound fantastic and uber clean directly driven by the M.

All the mathematical / damping factor logic in the world will not make this issue go away. At a certain point we have to avoid being like the economist who says 'there cannot be a ten dollar bill by my foot because if there was, someone else would already have picked it up.' It is there!  :wink:

I have these 1 ohm resistors on the way.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190822877396&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:3160

Hopefully once I use my multimeter to isolate a matched pair, they will be of sufficient quality to create a good adapter cable, test the above theory, and hopefully make the issue go away altogether. (In the short run, I will have the 15 ohm adapter Monday for testing.)

Time will tell how all of this plays out.

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #4,054 of 6,550
  I believe that it is the zero ohm impedance, in no small part because the problem is quite unique in the DAP world and there is no other satisfactory explanation.

All the mathematical / damping factor logic in the world will not make this issue go away.

The problem with this opinion, is that it's anecdotal and feels like people are running down the feature sheet until they see something they like and go... that one.  The AK and early Apple DAPs are among the only DAPs that aren't 0 ohm output.  Damn near every speaker amp ever built is 0 ohm, most every desktop headphone amp is also 0 ohm.  Adding resistors to artificially bump up the output resistance is a safety/tuning feature.  The Corda you are using... 0 ohm output.

If adding an amp fixes the problem then the problem is current delivery which means Calyx may have decided to run the outputs directly off of an opamp and not a buffer.  Ie there is only a voltage gain stage and no current gain stage.  The LCD-X would most certainly draw more current than an opamp could ever hope to supply .

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #4,056 of 6,550
Looks like new firmware to address short playback time will be out soon! 
k701smile.gif

Quote:
The current battery is of 3100mA.
We are working on the power management software and the life will be longer soon.. 

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #4,059 of 6,550
They said battery is replaceable but the warranty void if the device already opened. 
confused.gif

Warranty Support
For warranty support, and technical support, please refer to your local official Calyx M distributor or local Calyx M authorized dealers.

Terms of Calyx M Warranty
The Calyx M warranty is not worldwide, but is limited to the country or economic region, where the product was purchased. Warranty service is conducted by the official Calyx M distributor in each country/economic region and the warranty has no coverage outside of the country/economic region where the warranty has been registered.

Disclaimer of Warranty
Calyx M products are manufactured to the specifications of Digital & Analog Co., Ltd. So any modification of Calyx M or even opening M by customers automatically voids the Calyx M warranty. Once Digital & Analog determines that a product has been shipped outside its authorized country/economic region without literally permission by Digital & Analog, the product will not be accepted for any service at any cost.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #4,065 of 6,550
 They need to add digital coax spdif input.. at least on a docking station if you can't do it on the player.. IMPORTANT.. if they do this i'll sell my dac, portable player and pull the trigger like tons of people in home studios!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back