7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Mar 26, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #2,491 of 4,273
As much as I like Timeless, I agree that it's not the last word in organic and natural. I hear it as "dry". My brain adapts pretty quick but I notice it again as soon as I go back to a good dynamic (or even a good hybrid). Also agree about the bass to a degree. While I don't hear it as congested, I do feel that bass from a good dynamic driver is more palpable, for lack of a better word, even if the Timeless, objectively, has more bass quantity. The Dunu Zen is a good example to my ear. Objectively, I hear more bass in terms of quantity from Timeless, but the Zen bass is still more palpable (to my ear). Regardless, I really appreciate the overall quality of the Timeless bass replay and don't find it congested.

Which single DD or DD's do you have and like? I love the Zen (don't have the Zen Pro). It's not perfect but probably my most listened to iem.
ive tried a lot of single dd iem under 100 and my pick is defo the tin t2 plus. I've tried moondrop aria and a bunch of kz/cca sets, and I still think that t2 plus is the most enjoyable out of all

Mar 26, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #2,492 of 4,273
This IEM just needs the right source. Has anyone tried the Zishan Z4? Currently I'm using the Zishan Z3 to power my Timeless. Has anyone found a good DAP for the Timeless?

DSD audio sounds so good on my Timeless. So much more soundstage.
Only have on DAP, M6Pro (OG). Good pairing with Timeless!

If you have an android DAP or transport that supports DSD, you should give Neutron Music Player a try. If it has a good processor in it, Neutron can convert files on the fly "PCM to DSD 256" (as long as your device supports 256, otherwise it can also do 128). It does indeed increase the quality of the sound of files. It also fixes quantization errors, and other sorts of distortions. Unless you don't have a Delta Sigma DAC (which is very common nowadays), all music is converted from PCM to DSD anyhow. Neutron just gives you the control of how much upsampling it does, and completely bypasses the complicated and potentially limited processing of PCM into DSD from the DAC level. You can read more about it here. Obviously having native DSD files is even better.
Never tried up-sampling from PCM. Interesting. Agree that native DSD is great! NativeDSD is a great site for classical and jazz.

As much as I like Timeless, I agree that it's not the last word in organic and natural. I hear it as "dry". My brain adapts pretty quick but I notice it again as soon as I go back to a good dynamic (or even a good hybrid). Also agree about the bass to a degree. While I don't hear it as congested, I do feel that bass from a good dynamic driver is more palpable, for lack of a better word, even if the Timeless, objectively, has more bass quantity. The Dunu Zen is a good example to my ear. Objectively, I hear more bass in terms of quantity from Timeless, but the Zen bass is still more palpable (to my ear). Regardless, I really appreciate the overall quality of the Timeless bass replay and don't find it congested.

Which single DD or DD's do you have and like? I love the Zen (don't have the Zen Pro). It's not perfect but probably my most listened to iem.
I have a number of single DD. CRA, T2; T3+ Heart Mirror, Aurora; FD5, FD7 and Ozar. All are great and bring something different to the table. I do really like the Ozar. It really has a great tuning.

Mar 26, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #2,493 of 4,273

I only have two pairs of single DD IEMs; CCA CRA, and iBasso IT-01S, and while the CRA is great (especially for the price), the IT-01S does it better in every category. They are tuned much the same as my IT-07 (flagship model), but being as how that one is 1 DD + 6 BA, it can't quite achieve the greatness of the IT-07. The rest of my IEMs are either hybrid (DUNU DK2001 eg...) or multiple driver (Audiosense T800 eg...).

As for (classic) earbuds, most of those are single DD (one is dual DD, and one is 1 DD + 1 BA), and my favorite for those is fairly easy. The Moondrop Chaconne (flagship) earbuds. That being said, I recently ordered the Yincrow RW-3000 (their flagship model), and am due to get it some time next week, so the verdict could change (though I doubt it).

Mar 26, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #2,494 of 4,273
Upsampling all PCM audio to DSD is actually a good idea. I have found a software that allows PC users to do this with all their audio files.

https://www.audiofaidate.org/sw/sox-dsd/

The effects are noticeable. DSD128 sounds good enough for me. I converted some of my FLAC albums into DSD with this tool. This is the one thing that should be added to UAPP.

Mar 26, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #2,495 of 4,273
Upsampling all PCM audio to DSD is actually a good idea. I have found a software that allows PC users to do this with all their audio files.

https://www.audiofaidate.org/sw/sox-dsd/

The effects are noticeable. DSD128 sounds good enough for me. I converted some of my FLAC albums into DSD with this tool. This is the one thing that should be added to UAPP.
Hello, are you using UAPP? I bought it recently and I'm using it with Qobuz but when I am searching for an artist, firstly I'm presented with some songs of the artist and even songs containing the name of the artist... Scrolling further below, I can see the artist I've searched for, and a whole bunch of irrelevant results... Like bands the artist has participated or other irrelevant stuff. It is not usable/convenient. Is there a way to reset UAPP? I've asked in the relevant thread, as well, but not much happening there...

Mar 26, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #2,496 of 4,273
Hello, are you using UAPP? I bought it recently and I'm using it with Qobuz but when I am searching for an artist, firstly I'm presented with some songs of the artist and even songs containing the name of the artist... Scrolling further below, I can see the artist I've searched for, and a whole bunch of irrelevant results... Like bands the artist has participated or other irrelevant stuff. It is not usable/convenient. Is there a way to reset UAPP? I've asked in the relevant thread, as well, but not much happening there...
That is nothing to do with UAPP. Qobuz is just integrated into UAPP, like Tidal is (and Google Play Music used to be). This same question should be asked about from Qobuz thread here. In other words, the UI is different if using Qobuz through UAPP vs. Tidal.

That being said, I don't use Qobuz so I am not familiar with how their search is set up. But, with local files (UAPP UI) doing a search for an artist, it will show Tracks with that name in it, then albums with that name, then artists with that name, then composers. If you click on the artist (for instance), it will show all albums from that artist, then clicking on one of those shows all the songs. AFAIK that is how all music player apps work. If Qobuz doesn't do it that way, then I agree that it is unusable (for search anyhow).

Mar 26, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #2,497 of 4,273
That is nothing to do with UAPP. Qobuz is just integrated into UAPP, like Tidal is (and Google Play Music used to be). This same question should be asked about from Qobuz thread here. In other words, the UI is different if using Qobuz through UAPP vs. Tidal.

That being said, I don't use Qobuz so I am not familiar with how their search is set up. But, with local files (UAPP UI) doing a search for an artist, it will show Tracks with that name in it, then albums with that name, then artists with that name, then composers. If you click on the artist (for instance), it will show all albums from that artist, then clicking on one of those shows all the songs. AFAIK that is how all music player apps work. If Qobuz doesn't do it that way, then I agree that it is unusable (for search anyhow).
Thank you for the link to Qobuz thread, here. It's been just a few days since I've started using Qobuz/UAPP so I'm not fully familiar with these, yet. It seems that this is a Qobuz issue. I just searched for an artist in the Qobuz App, it happens as you describe, the issue is that it brings up Albums that do not belong to the specific artist, some albums are completely irrelevant. I will read a bit the Qobuz thread. Thanks, and sorry for the off-topic.

Mar 26, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #2,498 of 4,273
Thank you for the link to Qobuz thread, here. It's been just a few days since I've started using Qobuz/UAPP so I'm not fully familiar with these, yet. It seems that this is a Qobuz issue. I just searched for an artist in the Qobuz App, it happens as you describe, the issue is that it brings up Albums that do not belong to the specific artist, some albums are completely irrelevant. I will read a bit the Qobuz thread. Thanks, and sorry for the off-topic.
It's all good. :) It would not be pleasant if I was seeing what you are seeing. I guess it's good that I don't subscribe to Qobuz then huh?

I mainly use Amazon HD because it is high res, but also has a HUGE category of music (something like 90 mil at last glance). The only thing that I would want to see is UAPP integration also (their native app sux). I actually emailed Davey with UAPP once upon a time and the told me that it was impossible as the UI was not a public one like the others, so there was no way to integrate Amazon HD into UAPP. Which means that apparently he actually thought about it at some point. :slight_smile:

That being said, I mainly listen to local files. I have something like 23K songs (and growing all the time) at this point. The only thing I absolutely abhor about Amazon Music is that if you buy music from them, it is ONLY 320 .mp3. I don't get it. Just why? So I buy most of my music from Bandcamp (or simply order the physical media) because the artists get most of the money from it.

Mar 26, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #2,499 of 4,273
It's all good. :) It would not be pleasant if I was seeing what you are seeing. I guess it's good that I don't subscribe to Qobuz then huh?

I mainly use Amazon HD because it is high res, but also has a HUGE category of music (something like 90 mil at last glance). The only thing that I would want to see is UAPP integration also (their native app sux). I actually emailed Davey with UAPP once upon a time and the told me that it was impossible as the UI was not a public one like the others, so there was no way to integrate Amazon HD into UAPP. Which means that apparently he actually thought about it at some point. :slight_smile:

That being said, I mainly listen to local files. I have something like 23K songs (and growing all the time) at this point. The only thing I absolutely abhor about Amazon Music is that if you buy music from them, it is ONLY 320 .mp3. I don't get it. Just why? So I buy most of my music from Bandcamp (or simply order the physical media) because the artists get most of the money from it.
You are right, it is not pleasant what I am hearing... I've selected an artist in Qobuz via UAPP and opted to shuffle play. UAPP/Qobuz "gathered" the artist's albums. Then it started playing and I ended up listening to... Italian and French songs(!) which had absolutely nothing to do with the artist initially selected! I then run the Qobuz app and shuffle played normally. I might post in the respective threads.

I'm also using Amazon Music Unlimited for around 2 years now. Huge collection, yes, but non bit-perfect on Android, and still missing a few things. For a week now, I own the Chord Mojo 2 which offers a 90 days free trial on Qobuz. So, I got UAPP, as well, to listen to bit-perfect. I'm not saying I will hear a difference, necessarily, just trying it out. I also wish to get the best quality on Bluetooth, via my FiiO BTA30 Pro, and UAPP has an option for that, among others. I think I will start creating playlists to listen to what I desire, through UAPP.

I stopped collecting/transcoding in 2018. Until then I had gathered around 30K songs. I still have the original FLAC files but not at my current location. I was using the latest LAME on Foobar2000 to transcode in 320kbps/fixed. I will start listening again, I hope, after I will set up my new desktop, later this year.

To me, YouTube is still the biggest surprise when it comes to music discovery and I am grateful it can sound so nice with what I am using.

Sorry for the off-topic, guys, I am out :)

Mar 26, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #2,500 of 4,273
Sorry for the off-topic, guys, I am out :)
doesn't seem off topic to me. I'm amazed at how many albums I have and then look at streaming services (boom) mind blown. 500gb locally about 20% flac. 2500 folders. listening is mostly folders, as in one album at a time... no playlists. I considered myself a caveman. Then I look at some of the computer setups; Eq and Dsd, tidal and wonder what percentage I miss out of pure enjoyment of music. probably a little but Google and Bandcamp are watching and sends recommendations so I "find" things. Great Headphones make all the difference. That old adage about 90% is transducer (headphone or speaker) the rest being accessories seems as true as ever.

Mar 26, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #2,501 of 4,273
So I am using an old LG V30 as my definitive DAP now. The V30 cannot do DSD but my usb dongles can. The sound upsampled to DSD128 is mindblowingly good. Even MP3 files benefit a lot from DSD upsampling. Totally enjoying it right now. My iBasso DC05 dongle creates such a full sound using DSD128.

Mar 26, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #2,502 of 4,273
I'm also using Amazon Music Unlimited for around 2 years now. Huge collection, yes, but non bit-perfect on Android, and still missing a few things. For a week now, I own the Chord Mojo 2 which offers a 90 days free trial on Qobuz. So, I got UAPP, as well, to listen to bit-perfect. I'm not saying I will hear a difference, necessarily, just trying it out. I also wish to get the best quality on Bluetooth, via my FiiO BTA30 Pro, and UAPP has an option for that, among others. I think I will start creating playlists to listen to what I desire, through UAPP.
If you are streaming mostly through BT, you will not hear the difference between bit perfect and non bit perfect. Besides, I have found that Amazon app adds less coloration than other apps (Tidal, I'm looking at you). I can BARELY hear a difference between 24/192 from the Amazon app, and the same from Neutron (unless I am using PCM to DSD). If it weren't for the functionality issues with the app, I wouldn't have a problem with the app at all.

For local, I like UAPP for its interface. I like Neutron for its DSP (dithering, PCM to DSD, 64 bit processing, etc...) that other apps just don't have, and Auto-EQ integration when needed. I like the Hiby app for when I need remote control (eg, DX300 hooked to home stereo via coax, and using phone to control media playback).

It is a shame that functionality is that bad that you need to make playlists to control how you listen ALL of the time. As for me, when listening to local files, I simply set to play all at random. If I run across a song that hits me that day, I will then do a search and play that for a while. Most times I am not totally sure what genre I feel like listening to until I hear it. LOL
So I am using an old LG V30 as my definitive DAP now. The V30 cannot do DSD but my usb dongles can. The sound upsampled to DSD128 is mindblowingly good. Even MP3 files benefit a lot from DSD upsampling. Totally enjoying it right now. My iBasso DC05 dongle creates such a full sound using DSD128.
Not to get you wanting more, but you should hear the difference using DSD256. I think that LG and dongle should do nicely though. There is a reason that LG was/is known as "sound first" phone. I wish my DAP could do DSD512 just to hear it, though I do have something similar in PCM (24/384). Usually a PCM that high was originally a 5 bit DSD512 ripped to PCM.

I think it is ironic that DSD sounds so good. DSD was originally invented only to act as a storage container... :)

Mar 26, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #2,504 of 4,273
Thanks to DSD upscaling I can now enjoy my library in a much better audio quality. DSD128 is good enough for me as an even higher quality is mostly overkill.
Oh no, it does get even better (to my ears anyhow), and I don't have golden ears. This all comes down to the gear you have too though. But you are right, DSD 128 (or even 64) is fantastic sounding.

Great find on that software BTW! I had found a few more also that I liked. This is one of the best free ones I have heard of (though I have not heard of the one you suggested, so can't comment on that one yet), and this is one of the best on the market if absolute sound quality is your concern (note that this one costs quite a bit, but is worth it IMO).

Mar 27, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #2,505 of 4,273

Users who are viewing this thread

Back