7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Mar 18, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #2,431 of 4,273
My full video review of the 7Hz Timeless is live now!! If you like V-Shaped sonic presentations, this is going to be a favorite. Also, it is supported fully by Linsoul Audio, making the deal even better~

We all heard that some Flavor Of The Month IEMs sound good, but what does that mean? Well, FOTM is an expression often used on the Head-Fi forums, and it refers to to products that become popular quickly, and which tend to be forgotten a while after launch, thus their month of popularity. Is 7Hz Timeless one of those, or it's just a really popular IEM that everyone started liking fast?

Mar 22, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #2,432 of 4,273
Question:
On my right pair I'm hearing sometimes weird sounds. It happens very randomly and I can't reproduce it on purpose.
Its hard to describe but it kind of sounds like a digital fart.
Not really a pop, but kind of like when your ears were clogged with water from being in a pool, and after some time out of the pool it just releases, that sound, but more digital. Not sure if this is a defect or not but I don't like it. Did anyone else experience this? Should I have them replaced? Not even sure if I can do that since I purchased them from Ali and the 15d past confirmation passed

Mar 22, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #2,433 of 4,273
Question:
On my right pair I'm hearing sometimes weird sounds. It happens very randomly and I can't reproduce it on purpose.
Not really a pop, but kind of like when your ears were clogged with water from being in a pool, and after some time out of the pool it just releases, that sound, but more digital. Not sure if this is a defect or not but I don't like it. Did anyone else experience this? Should I have them replaced? Not even sure if I can do that since I purchased them from Ali and the 15d past confirmation passed
I guess you will have to start narrowing it down. What type of music does it occur with? What quality of files does it happen on? How loud do you have it when this happens, and does it happen with different volumes? Have you tried switching out cables, tips, source? Does it ONLY ever happen on the right one? Does it occur more often when a certain frequency is played through the driver? Is it louder than the sound playing through the driver when it happens? Have you checked the filter to make sure it doesn't have gook in it, as well as the tips? Do you experience driver flex at any time while wearing them? Does the sound coming from the right one sound the same as the left all other times? And of course there are the hygiene questions about your ears, or ear health that come to mind; does this happen with any other IEMs you have?

It is really difficult to diagnose an issue like this (especially blind) without you running them through a battery of tests. This is what the factory would probably do (along with taking them apart and/or measuring electrical this and that...) among other things.

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #2,434 of 4,273
Question:

If there's any sign of digital with it, I would suggest to first test and see if a different source helps, sounds like a problem with the source more than the IEMs (?)

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #2,435 of 4,273
Question:
Sounds like driver flex. I have a bit on my pair depending on the tips I'm using. If you have some foams, try them to see if it dissipates. If foam tip alleviate what your hearing, it driver flex which is normal and common with DDs and planars. If foams don't mitigate it, it's something else.

Mar 22, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #2,436 of 4,273
Question:
Driver crinkle?...each of our ear canals are different so a head/jaw movement etc could effect one side by realeasing the internal air pressure causing clicking/popping sounds..Driver lock unlikely unless the drivers are actually locked..Driver Flex again unlikely as Timeless is well vented unless your ears are restricting the vents?...If it's not a source or cable problem...switch L and R over check, change source and test done then yes it's a faulty set 😢

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #2,437 of 4,273
How loud do you have it when this happens, and does it happen with different volumes? Have you tried switching out cables, tips, source? Does it ONLY ever happen on the right one? Does it occur more often when a certain frequency is played through the driver? Is it louder than the sound playing through the driver when it happens? Have you checked the filter to make sure it doesn't have gook in it, as well as the tips? Do you experience driver flex at any time while wearing them? Does the sound coming from the right one sound the same as the left all other times? And of course there are the hygiene questions about your ears, or ear health that come to mind; does this happen with any other IEMs you have?

It is really difficult to diagnose an issue like this (especially blind) without you running them through a battery of tests. This is what the factory would probably do (along with taking them apart and/or measuring electrical this and that...) among other things.
To answer your questions: The noises volume does change, but is mostly louder than the music. It also happens without any music playing or just directly connected to the laptop (7hz > 4.4 to 3.5 > MB pro), so switched sources but not cable yet, will try and report.
The filters are clean and the tips too, my ears too since I clean them regularly. Not sure how to understand driver flex .... what is it?
This never happened with any other IEM, I use the Shure SE846 for many years now and never had something similar.
Besides that random noise both earpieces sound exactly the same, as far as I can tell. Didnt hear something off balance.

Maybe 'digital fart' is not the best description since it's not digital noise (nothing like playing a data CD on a regular audio cd player). It kind of sounds like the driver is farting or releasing air but in a very aggressive way. Ive never heard smth like that so its hard to explain.

Also: i heard this noise right from the beginning, but it didnt happen so often so I ignored it but today it was unbearable and I had to stop listening

If there's any sign of digital with it, I would suggest to first test and see if a different source helps, sounds like a problem with the source more than the IEMs (?)
Tried both the Cayin RU6 and directly plugged into the macbook pro and its the same
Sounds like driver flex. I have a bit on my pair depending on the tips I'm using. If you have some foams, try them to see if it dissipates. If foam tip alleviate what your hearing, it driver flex which is normal and common with DDs and planars. If foams don't mitigate it, it's something else.
Dont have foams, just the ones that came with the 7hz, some spinfits and azla crystal/xelastec
Driver crinkle?...each of our ear canals are different so a head/jaw movement etc could effect one side by realeasing the internal air pressure causing clicking/popping sounds..Driver lock unlikely unless the drivers are actually locked..Driver Flex again unlikely as Timeless is well vented unless your ears are restricting the vents?...If it's not a source or cable problem...switch L and R over check, change source and test done then yes it's a faulty set 😢
what is that driver crinkle/flex? I dont move my head when this happens it just sounds like the driver is about to explode inside my ear but then it was just some kind of fart, maybe just a series of fast pops that sound like a fart, really hard to describe.

Thanks for all your replies - much appreciated!
It's definitely not related to the music since it happens without any music playing, and it doesn't seem to be related to the dac/amp dongle (cayin ru6) since it also happens when directly plugged into the laptop. It's loud and unpleasant thats for sure

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #2,438 of 4,273
Without trying to sound dumb, you mention that it happens when there is no music playing - how about when they're not plugged in?

That'll determine if it is a seal issue (driver-flex) or an equipment issue.

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #2,439 of 4,273
DDs an Planars are both membranes. In some ears with Silicone tips the seal is so good that it creates a pressure in the chamber that causes that membrane to move, crackle, pop or a host of other descriptive sounds. It's quite common and what your are describing is that flex of the driver - hence driver flex. It's nothing to worry about. Changing tips can eliminate it and typically, while foam gives a better seal, there is some breathability so pressure in the ear canal is less and driver flex stops.

Mar 22, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #2,440 of 4,273
Swap the cable channels ... left side to right iem, right side to left iem. If the problem moves to the left iem, it's a cable issue (connector most likely). Using a different cable is quickest fix.

If problem stays with right earpiece, assume some type of fault within the right side earpiece or earpiece connector.

Before trying this, you can try to disconnect and reconnect the right side cable from the right earpiece just to make sure you have a solid connection there.

Mar 22, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #2,441 of 4,273
Without trying to sound dumb, you mention that it happens when there is no music playing - how about when they're not plugged in?

That'll determine if it is a seal issue (driver-flex) or an equipment issue.
Please let me try to sound dumb
Too :) Do you mean disconnecting the once the weird sound is happening, or just having those IEM’s unplugged in my ears until there’s a noise? I have to admit that I never listened to the IEMs without them being plugged in somewhere, that’s the true sound of silence I guess :)
I can try but I think that some current has to flow to generate that noise
DDs an Planars are both membranes. In some ears with Silicone tips the seal is so good that it creates a pressure in the chamber that causes that membrane to move, crackle, pop or a host of other descriptive sounds. It's quite common and what your are describing is that flex of the driver - hence driver flex. It's nothing to worry about. Changing tips can eliminate it and typically, while foam gives a better seal, there is some breathability so pressure in the ear canal is less and driver flex stops.
Nothing to worry about because it doesn’t damage the IEM or what do you mean? Today this happened during a zoom meeting and the ppl could actually see from my facial expression that something wasn’t right with me and I had to remove the right side to stop suffering :) it was unbearable
Swap the cable channels ... left side to right iem, right side to left iem. If the problem moves to the left iem, it's a cable issue (connector most likely). Using a different cable is quickest fix.

If problem stays with right earpiece, assume some type of fault within the right side earpiece or earpiece connector.

Before trying this, you can try to disconnect and reconnect the right side cable from the right earpiece just to make sure you have a solid connection there.
Thanks gonna try this

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #2,443 of 4,273
Nothing to worry about because it doesn’t damage the IEM or what do you mean? Today this happened during a zoom meeting and the ppl could actually see from my facial expression that something wasn’t right with me and I had to remove the right side to stop suffering :) it was unbearable
I think what he is trying to say is that if it is indeed driver flex, there is nothing to worry about as far as damaging the driver. It does nothing to alleviate your issue though.
Please let me try to sound dumb
Too :) Do you mean disconnecting the once the weird sound is happening, or just having those IEM’s unplugged in my ears until there’s a noise? I have to admit that I never listened to the IEMs without them being plugged in somewhere, that’s the true sound of silence I guess :)
I can try but I think that some current has to flow to generate that noise
Could you try and put the earphones in your ears like you were going to listen to them, but don't plug them in. See if the issue still happens.

If it does nothing, try plugging them into a different source than your Macbook. Try a phone, or someone else's headphone jack, just to test if it is local to the wire and/or earphones, or if it is the source you are listening to.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #2,444 of 4,273
Have heard of the timeless, but it was rather not a good first impression. It sounds congested to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back