75ohm coax for analogue?
Mar 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gitbags

100+ Head-Fier
Not meaning to cause a war over cables, but would there be any adverse affects by using 75ohm coax (not antenna coax) for a analogue interconnect?

I only ask as I'm planning on knocking up some cables using van damme cable and their digital coax seems better made than their standard stuff (braided screen vs spiral, ofc vs ofc/spofc conductors)

this is the stuff I mean
VAN DAMME|268307|CABLE, COAX, VIDEO, RED, PER | Farnell United Kingdom

cheers

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Why not? It looks a rather nice cable.

Some years ago when the ‘cable revolution’ had just started I used for a time 75 Ohm TV down-lead for interconnects. It had un-plated copper which is thought to ‘sound‘ better than tin plated wire, air-spaced polythene as a dilectric (insulator) and it was also very cheap. The only slight problem was terminating it to the phonos.

Don’t worry about the 75 Ohm impedance, that’s at the RF frequencies that these cables are designed to work at, it is meaningless for audio.

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 5
many ppl say that 50Ω is a terrible idea for video, as the impedance mismatch would create ghosting...but 75Ω for audio would be perfectly fine.

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 5
IMO 75ohm shouldn't effect analogue audio

One of my favorite looking cables, the Noble Cyprium, touts the benefits of using a 75ohm cable, which I honestly don't quite understand. I'd like to stress that I only like this cable purely based on aesthetics.

Now, back to my favorite cable manufacturer Blue Jean Cable, they claim the following:

"In analog audio, particularly, impedance is basically a nonfactor--because at the relatively low frequencies involved in analog audio, and at anything approaching ordinary lengths, any reasonably designed cable will effectively "pass through" the impedance of the devices at either end--and the input and output impedances of line-level analog audio devices themselves are usually not critical. For analog audio cables, other design considerations like shielding and capacitance may be very important, but impedance really is not."

hope it helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back