6SN7 Tube Addicts
Oct 26, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #1,306 of 7,413
I have RCA branded tubes made by ATES in Italy.
I have to ask Paolo for more info, but it's very complicated I agree.

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,308 of 7,413
One more time, there aren't any true 6SN7 valves made by Mullard. Branded—yes. Made—none.

Mullard, however, had their ECC3x series valves, none of which are true 6SN7s.

why do they let this happen to their brand? because they want to keep the production cost down? 
Are the word  "Mullard" made in England   made by the Mullard or are they fake?
The  Mullard tubes (Stavros)  was also identified by one of the Thai member as the Brimar because of the code .

So the Mullard that was made in russia is "Remark" not "Rebranded"  and this was done by Mullard itself.
Are Stavros's pair are fake or intentionally done by Mullard? , then it should be called "remark" not "rebranded"
I got confused here too.

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #1,309 of 7,413
I'm really curious about trying out the Synergy Hifi/Create Audio 6SN7 tubes, anyone know a place that sells them matched?. Or at a lower price for that matter, I mean there must be some cheap Chinese sellers out there :) 

Though maybe it is not that crucial to match the drivers with the WA22?. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #1,310 of 7,413
The thing is that the 6SN7 was a US tube. Eventually some UK makers started to make some, but only due to the demand for the tube in the USA.

The whole point of "Brimar" is that they made US type tubes - Brimar stood for "British Manufactured American Radio" (valves) and as such used all American designations. In fact, Brimar/STC was a UK subsidiary of the American giant ITT (International Telephone and Telegraph).

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #1,311 of 7,413

Quote:
Brimar stood for "British Manufactured American Radio" (valves) and as such used all American designations.

<Johnny Carson voice> I did not know that. </Johnny Carson voice>

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #1,312 of 7,413

Quote:
I have RCA branded tubes made by ATES in Italy.
I have to ask Paolo for more info, but it's very complicated I agree.

Now there is an interesting score.  I could see these going for cheap under the radar on fleabay since most would take it for what it looks like:  an RCA 6SN7GTB.  The micas seem to be the giveaway, they don't have the "teeth" holding them against the glass you typically see on US made RCA tubes.  Actually that makes me wonder how they control microphonics in that tube since there doesn't really seem to be anything holding the micas against the glass at all.

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #1,313 of 7,413

Quote:
The thing is that the 6SN7 was a US tube. Eventually some UK makers started to make some, but only due to the demand for the tube in the USA.

The whole point of "Brimar" is that they made US type tubes - Brimar stood for "British Manufactured American Radio" (valves) and as such used all American designations. In fact, Brimar/STC was a UK subsidiary of the American giant ITT (International Telephone and Telegraph).

On November 1st that last remaining remnant of ITT in electronics and communications will be known as something else, haha.

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #1,314 of 7,413

Quote:
On November 1st that last remaining remnant of ITT in electronics and communications will be known as something else, haha.

A shame to see it all go downhill.  When I see cheap junky tvs and stereos in stores labeled RCA and Sylvania I can't help but see irony since those brands used to stand for quality and innovation.  I've gotten so used to thinking about Sylvania as a great brand I have to remind myself that it isn't one *today*.....

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #1,315 of 7,413

Quote:
Now there is an interesting score.  I could see these going for cheap under the radar on fleabay since most would take it for what it looks like:  an RCA 6SN7GTB.  The micas seem to be the giveaway, they don't have the "teeth" holding them against the glass you typically see on US made RCA tubes.  Actually that makes me wonder how they control microphonics in that tube since there doesn't really seem to be anything holding the micas against the glass at all.

Actually they are not microphonic.
They both look exactly the same, one is silk screened as 6SN7GTB and the other as 6SN7GT.
The micas are semicircular and rest on the glass to give the added support.
Combined with a long glass RCA 7N7 they sound fine on my SP PPX3-6SN7.

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #1,316 of 7,413
The RCA and Sylvania brands are owned by European companies today.  Tompson the French consumer Electroncis giant owns RCA, and OSRAM, a division of Siemens in Germany owns Sylvania.  Of the Big Three US tube makers, only GE is a strong US company today.

Of course even in the tube heyday, all three of those companies did much more than make tubes.  And while GE is a very large company today, they don't make much in the way of consumer electronics anymore.

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #1,317 of 7,413
Talking about GE just now I am evaluating a pair of GE 6F8G Black Glass.

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #1,318 of 7,413
Wile there really isn't a famous GE 6SN7, GE made some GREAT tubes, especially some of the small 9-pin types.  LOVE their black-plate triple-mica 5751's for example.

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #1,319 of 7,413

Quote:
The RCA and Sylvania brands are owned by European companies today.  Tompson the French consumer Electroncis giant owns RCA, and OSRAM, a division of Siemens in Germany owns Sylvania.  Of the Big Three US tube makers, only GE is a strong US company today.

Of course even in the tube heyday, all three of those companies did much more than make tubes.  And while GE is a very large company today, they don't make much in the way of consumer electronics anymore.

I thought rights to the Sylvania brand were owned by Funai?  Guess my tv manufacturer knowledge is starting to slip.  :)  I just think it's a shame how those companies could not adapt with the times and basically faded away by the 90's.

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #1,320 of 7,413

Quote:
Wile there really isn't a famous GE 6SN7, GE made some GREAT tubes, especially some of the small 9-pin types.  LOVE their black-plate triple-mica 5751's for example.

I know this isn't 6SN7 related, but are GE rectifier tubes considered good in general?  I always go to Tung Sol or Sylvania first, but I'm looking at a couple of lesser sought rectifiers for something and most of what is popping up is GE made (or branded something else and obviously GE manufactured).  No need to avoid them if they are actually good tubes after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back