6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Aug 14, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #482 of 1,006
http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm
go to the section below, give you an idea on different brand/ county of origin tubes.
[COLOR=FF0000]OK, SO TELL ME HOW THEY SOUND!![/COLOR]
I can't. I haven't heard them.

Good grief. Sorry for sourcing others' opinions

And furthermore here we are in a thread that was started with a review.

Anyyyyyywayyyyy......i'll move on

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #483 of 1,006
I can't. I haven't heard them.

Good grief. Sorry for sourcing others' opinions

And furthermore here we are in a thread that was started with a review.

Anyyyyyywayyyyy......i'll move on

I gave you a link describing the different country of origin tubes, I did not ask you how they sound, that is the section you want to read. Starting with that title in the link I provided.
OK, SO TELL ME HOW THEY SOUND!!

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #484 of 1,006
Okay cool. I might have to grab a pair in the near future. Been wanting to try out some good Amperex driver tubes in my WA2.

Appreciate the info!

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #485 of 1,006
Preferring the Holland sound over the USA sound, these tubes are not in my rotation at all, some one else can give these the play time they deserve.

I've had the opposite experience, much prefer the more neutral and natural USN-CEP's to the euphonic Herleens.

I see some uber Herleen cheerleaders have jumped to the German Tele's recently on the Lyr thread. Funny the German sound more to the lean side then, those wooly Dutch tubes. The euphonic Dutch tubes do help those with mediocre sources. So YMMV.

Best of all are the spot on neutral Ruskies.

Had'em all.

Aug 15, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #486 of 1,006
I agree completely. Some 'Herleen Head's' have hijacked my review thread, to push this 'Dutch' tubes are the greatest nonsense here. After the Lyr tube rolling thread's biggest 'HH' went German. Then use this thread to advertise their tubes sales...very poor taste

Thanks for that.
I also have some 70's bugle boys. Even though the detail is lacking (relative to others mentioned) I understand why these might be of interest when looking to curb brightness. I'm guessing my Burke boys aren't the best ones/vintage going around.

But using my 70's Siemens cca as a reference point it seems that the HG of yours will add a euphoric sound and flow(as you say), the military USA 7308 would be queue similar but a little more warmth and bass and a tad less linear detail and the Philips sq e188cc sq offering a sweeter version of the USA 7308. Does that sound around the mark?

So all three above would be a small improvement in specific areas from my amperex 6922 USA pq and again not necessarily much of an improvement but a little bit of shuffling in the offering from my cca's.

(That was me thinking aloud whilst getting my head around the idea of whether I need more tubes and how badly)

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #487 of 1,006
Thanks for that.
I also have some 70's bugle boys. Even though the detail is lacking (relative to others mentioned) I understand why these might be of interest when looking to curb brightness. I'm guessing my Burke boys aren't the best ones/vintage going around.

But using my 70's Siemens cca as a reference point it seems that the HG of yours will add a euphoric sound and flow(as you say), the military USA 7308 would be queue similar but a little more warmth and bass and a tad less linear detail and the Philips sq e188cc sq offering a sweeter version of the USA 7308. Does that sound around the mark?

So all three above would be a small improvement in specific areas from my amperex 6922 USA pq and again not necessarily much of an improvement but a little bit of shuffling in the offering from my cca's.

(That was me thinking aloud whilst getting my head around the idea of whether I need more tubes and how badly)

I like the late Large Halo '50's BBs - but they lack tonal neutrality, detail and do not scale well in dynamic passages.  But a sweet tube none the less.  I did a Amperex vs Voshkod shootout and posted the results way back on the old Lyr tube rolling thread,  Preferred the BB to the OG's. But for $50-$70 not bad, and better than any new production I have heard.

I have had so many Amperex. Philips, Valvo, etc tubes to list.  Including the famed pinched waists in E88C and E88CC versions.  Not my cup of teas - although they have tons of tonal richness - to me sounding too tonally thick.  Like pouring dark chocolate on the detail.

My favorite (and many others if you read the original Lyr tube rolling thread) Amperex are the USN-CEP 7308 and the White Shield PQ's.  The most natural and neutral in tone of all the Amperex tubes - and rival the Tele E88CC and Siemens '70s Silver Shield CCa's.  The Tele E188CC and Siemens '60s Gray Shield CCa's being in a league of their own.

The HG's have the tonal density and richness of the best Amperex - but coupled with greater detail, air and transparency.  So they are a touch warmer then the Siemens (the most tilted to the detail, air, transparency side of the tonal balance).  The German Tele E188Cc are very close to the HG's in neutrality and detail - a truly exceptional tube.  The very best Siemens '60's Gray Shield CCa's are very close to the HG's as well.  So the best of these Amperex, Siemens and Tele tubes converge on this rich natural sounding tone.  The best Tele and Seimens moving to the warmer side, the best Amperex to the airy side and the HG's spot on.

What the HG's do that exceeds the best of those tubes - is plumb greater depths of detail and add a greater flow factor - some call musicality.  You need good gear and a great upstream  source to appreciate these differences.  Since I have done this review I have improved my already good digital source chain considerably - and the HG's have scaled right along.  I have yet to hit their limit - or feel they have serious flaws uncovered - just the opposite their 'magic' just grows with the greater detail revealed from the source chain.  I can not say that about many of the other top tubes.  With the improved dynamic range from this improved source - some tube seem to run out of juice on loud complex passages - they turn muddy and compressed.  Not the HG's they have ample reserves to stay clear and focused when presented they difficult passages.  Really fun to try and through the toughest at them and watch how the stay composed and detailed.  sorting out all the varying layers of music and dynamics with supreme finese. 

I realize my systems are unique - and for many folks with bright or edgy sources the Holland tubes can help tame this so as always YMMV.

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #488 of 1,006
rb2013

Some interesting reading there. My older BB's sound just like yout description.

You mentioned the amperex pq white shield and if you mean the 6922's thats what my first tubes bought were thanks to some extra guidance from brent jessee and joes tube lore.

And having the silver shield 70's cca (as i just checked amd never had before) those cca's are then better than what i thought. I was thinking the 70's were quite a step down from the 60's but maybe the 70's are not that bad :)

I didnt think that my ccas would be described as warm. Or did you mean the best ones and the tele e188cc are on the warmer side. I expected them to be on the brighter side of neutral thanks to that linear extension in the mids and uowards. With the amperex 6922 pq shields being considered by me a tad warmishly neutral.

and going back to the BB's i would hope the top end holland tubes (eg philips e188cc pq) would show a LOT more detail even if it was down with some fatness/texture in the mida

Some great food for thought and comparisons for considereing if its worth me spending another $200-400 for more tubes there rb2013

Edit: and all these tube contemplations are for my wa2 thats smooth and silky rather than tubey and gooey, my metrum hex thats quite naturally toned and the gec6as7g tubes that really deliver detail and great extension up and down and absolutely YMMV

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #489 of 1,006
Oops double post

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #490 of 1,006
@rb2013

Some interesting reading there. My older BB's sound just like yout description.

You mentioned the amperex pq white shield and if you mean the 6922's thats what my first tubes bought were thanks to some extra guidance from brent jessee and joes tube lore.

And having the silver shield 70's cca (as i just checked amd never had before) those cca's are then better than what i thought. I was thinking the 70's were quite a step down from the 60's but maybe the 70's are not that bad
smily_headphones1.gif

I didnt think that my ccas would be described as warm. Or did you mean the best ones and the tele e188cc are on the warmer side. I expected them to be on the brighter side of neutral thanks to that linear extension in the mids and uowards. With the amperex 6922 pq shields being considered by me a tad warmishly neutral.

and going back to the BB's i would hope the top end holland tubes (eg philips e188cc pq) would show a LOT more detail even if it was down with some fatness/texture in the mida

Some great food for thought and comparisons for considereing if its worth me spending another $200-400 for more tubes there rb2013

Edit: and all these tube contemplations are for my wa2 thats smooth and silky rather than tubey and gooey, my metrum hex thats quite naturally toned and the gec6as7g tubes that really deliver detail and great extension up and down and absolutely YMMV

Yes the '60's Siemens CCa Gray Shields move toward warmth from the ones you have - converging toward neutral.  Not quite spot on neutral but close.  Same for the Tele E188CC's vs the E88CC's.  Never had the Tele CCa's to try - at $1K not going to.

We are on the same page the Amperex move from warm toward neutral as they get better - to me the USN-CEP 7308's being the best - followed by the USN-CEP 6922/PQ White Shield (many say they are the same).  So they are still warmish, but the most neutral of the Amperex family.

Great DAC and HP amp - so you have a nice kit to hear the differences in these tubes.  Versus say a Lyr and BiFrost.

Compared to the BB's the USN's have muchmore detail and focus.  Better dynamics as well.  The Dynamics part would important on Rock and Large Orchestra.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #493 of 1,006
I do not have any test equipment unfortunately. Its just what i hear.
He did gave me some test results.

Tube #1 (01.1975): Ia1 = 11.0 mA; Ia2 = 12.0 mA;
Tube #2 (06.1975): Ia1 = 12.0 mA; Ia2 = 11.0 mA;

So far the tubes are a big improvement over my 1971 siemens. They are clear and spacious, detailed, with a hint of warmth.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #494 of 1,006
  I do not have any test equipment unfortunately. Its just what i hear.
He did gave me some test results.

Tube #1 (01.1975): Ia1 = 11.0 mA; Ia2 = 12.0 mA;
Tube #2 (06.1975): Ia1 = 12.0 mA; Ia2 = 11.0 mA;

So far the tubes are a big improvement over my 1971 siemens. They are clear and spacious, detailed, with a hint of warmth.

Well I really don't trust these Ebay overseas sellers - as I do have a tester and most of the time their reported test results don;t match up.  But at least they are not noisy - so consider yourself lucky.

They are still my favorite tube - enjoy!

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #495 of 1,006
  Anybody try these yet?  They look very interesting.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-nos-6922-2/

/snip

I just received a pair of these today and have been listening to them for a few hours in my Mjolnir 2. I have to say that my initial impressions are really good for these so far. The bass has a nice added kick to it with great extension. The mids are slightly warmer than neutral and have a nice, pleasing sound. The treble is slightly smoothed, but without sacrificing any detail. The soundstage has opened up as well. I feel like iFi hit a home run with this tube/adapter.

The adapter base is wrapped in silicone, which helps with heat. I haven't been able to separate the tubes from the adapter, but I haven't tried very hard at this point. I can pull the tube out of my amp and the adapter has no problem staying attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back