6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Jul 28, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #931 of 1,006
So my tube, the 1975 Reflector above, arrived today from ebay. All is well apart from the tube has a ringing in the right channel with the slightest touch of any of the surrounding things in close proximity. Even my amp (Lyr 3) has a cut off until the tube has warmed up for around 45 secs, after the 45 sec warm up time even the relay(?) clicking the tube sound on causes it to ring in the left channel.

Being a noob to tubes, does this mean the tube has A. had a knock, B. on its way out - EOL, or could it be as simple as C. that the tube just needs time to burn in?

The tube was advertised as NOS, but no returns. Going to look for a local business that has a tester at the weekend to test the tube but would like opinions in the mean time from you guys in the know about these things.

I have a Ken Rad VT231 that rang on the right channel when touching anything close by, but that also had an audible hum intermittently in same channel. My father reckons it could be because it's on its way out. Is it the same case with the ringing mentioned above - that the tube is dying? The ringing clears after a few seconds each time its present. But even pausing loudish music causes it to ring for a few seconds also. There is no deep hum like the Ken Rad, but the reflector does ring like a chime if you tap it super gently whilst on (left channel only).

Any help is much appreciated

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #933 of 1,006
Have you tried adding dampening rings to the tube?
Not yet, got some on order at the mo to see if that helps. Can a new (NOS) tube have this issue or only old used ones?

My main concern is that the tube will blow whilst headphones plgged in and wipe out the headphones (pretty sure I read somewhere this happened to at least 1 person with a Lyr amp)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #934 of 1,006
If isolating the tube or equipment doesn't work then either tube is EOL or just doesn't work well in that circuit. I find that some tube that's noisy in equipment A can surprisingly work well in equipment B, this whole thing has been an interesting learning experience.

Still I will note that the 6N23P has been one of my quieter tube.

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #935 of 1,006
I have found that all ECC88-equivalent tubes are somewhat prone to noise and microphony. About half of my NOS collection are absolutely quiet.

Best have proven to be disc-getter Mullards.

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #936 of 1,006
So! The original is microphonic, dampers haven't arrived yet but... I found another reflector 6N23p advertised as a holy grail tube and bought it from USSR tubes here.

However, I now have reservations. There is no mention of SWGP. What even is the SWGP part of its designation!? Have I just paid for an inferior tube? It says Voshod Plant for the brand, although it's listed as Reflector.... Confused!!

EDIT: Single Wire Getter Post!! Have just found out... Now just the brand confsuses me lol

Any help is most appreciated

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #937 of 1,006
So! The original is microphonic, dampers haven't arrived yet but... I found another reflector 6N23p advertised as a holy grail tube and bought it from USSR tubes here.

However, I now have reservations. There is no mention of SWGP. What even is the SWGP part of its designation!? Have I just paid for an inferior tube? It says Voshod Plant for the brand, although it's listed as Reflector.... Confused!!

Any help is most appreciated

SWGP = single wire getter plate. It refers to the construction of the getter, you can search in this thread for a more detailed diagram.

Voskhod and Reflektor are different factories that make the 6N23P IIRC. Voskhod tubes have this rocket like emblem on their tubes. Reflector has a different emblem, like the one you linked.

Aug 9, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #938 of 1,006
SWGP = single wire getter plate. It refers to the construction of the getter, you can search in this thread for a more detailed diagram.

Voskhod and Reflektor are different factories that make the 6N23P IIRC. Voskhod tubes have this rocket like emblem on their tubes. Reflector has a different emblem, like the one you linked.
Ahh ok, so providing the pics match when it arrives it's a Reflector, right? Should a Voskhod turn up, do they even sound close? Cheers very much for the prompt reply

Aug 9, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #939 of 1,006
I have used 1974 Reflektor SWGP with silver shield, they're pretty decent tubes. not warm sounding at all. Quite fast and airy. Can be a bit bright.

I haven't tried Voskhod before. I just ordered a 1975 gray shield but they haven't arrived yet. I'm curious how they compare myself because there isn't a clear consensus which one is better.

Aug 9, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #940 of 1,006
I have used 1974 Reflektor SWGP with silver shield, they're pretty decent tubes. not warm sounding at all. Quite fast and airy. Can be a bit bright.

I haven't tried Voskhod before. I just ordered a 1975 gray shield but they haven't arrived yet. I'm curious how they compare myself because there isn't a clear consensus which one is better.
OK, many thanks. Still a bit doubtful of what will turn up as, like you say, the pics show a Reflector but the brand description says Voskhod Plant. Will have to wait and see i guess!

Oct 1, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #941 of 1,006
Based on the older discussion in this thread there is a possibility to replace 6922 / 6DJ8 with 2C51 / 396A type + adapter and since I've tried almost all the popular 6922 types I thought I wanted to try something different. I went with the Western Electric 396A JW square getter from early 50s since they seem to be a safe bet.

I still need to listen to them more but initial impressions that the 396A sounds "big", esp. human vocal sounds taller and presented quite upfront. Soundstage is also excellent in terms of width and depth, probably better than any of my 6922s. The 396A also has a punchy and hard hitting bass, I actually need to dial down the low shelf knob on my monitor speakers lol. These definitely lean towards warmth but they're not muddy and still have quite good details unlike some Mullard tubes.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #942 of 1,006
Yes. I like 2C51 / 396A types instead of 6DJ8/6922 in my speaker amps as well. I haven't actually tried the WE, my favorite is the Tesla 6CC42. I have some really nice pinched waist, cross swords that sound fantastic, but even "plain" 6CC42s sound really good. For cheap the humble GE 5670 and the Russian 6N3P-DR (but not so much other designations) punch well above their weight, at least in my gear. FTR/FWIW I bought all my 6N3Ps before the war, I don't know what the current prices are like.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #943 of 1,006
Yes. I like 2C51 / 396A types instead of 6DJ8/6922 in my speaker amps as well. I haven't actually tried the WE, my favorite is the Tesla 6CC42. I have some really nice pinched waist, cross swords that sound fantastic, but even "plain" 6CC42s sound really good. For cheap the humble GE 5670 and the Russian 6N3P-DR (but not so much other designations) punch well above their weight, at least in my gear. FTR/FWIW I bought all my 6N3Ps before the war, I don't know what the current prices are like.

Thanks for the tip! I'm on the lookout for a more "neutral" pair as a partner for the WE so these look like they will fit the bill. I read that Tung-sol and some old Soviet ones are worth trying too.

Oct 11, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #944 of 1,006
OK, many thanks. Still a bit doubtful of what will turn up as, like you say, the pics show a Reflector but the brand description says Voskhod Plant. Will have to wait and see i guess!

Did the tube ever show up? Curious if you received the tube that was pictured in the advert or something different.

Oct 11, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #945 of 1,006
Did the tube ever show up? Curious if you received the tube that was pictured in the advert or something different.
Yeahh, it showed up fine and dandy.... but it's very microphonic in one channel. Although the images were as advertised, I've got a feeling the seller had had the item returned already for the same issue or something - as soon as I said I needed to return the item due to being microphonic, the seller just refunded me off the bat and said keep the tube!! The microphonics are only noticable if you tap literally anything in th surrounding area, the ringing in one channel is real obvious, but when sat completely still it's not there. So I at least had a brief go with the tube. I say brief because I have amassed a fair collection. As soon as I found the ringing sound, it kind of got left behind.

You've actually reminded me of the tube, think I'll give it a wee whirl again!! Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back