6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Feb 26, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #301 of 1,006
I read some conflicting reports on the Amperex Orange Globes vs Bugle Boys on which one is brighter & which one is warmer.

I'm looking for lush, liquid, SMOOTH sound over a analytical, brighter & accurate sound.
More emphasis on bottom end rather than top end.

Preferably a lower gain as well, so I can turn the volume knob at higher levels.

I actually do have the '74 Voskhod 6N23P Gray shields & while they are fantastic in the Woo 2, they are a bit too bright & revealing in my other tube amp.
I'm using the HD800 headphone, which are a tad bright themselves. So I'm looking something to tame it.
I haven't heard the orange globes but I do have 6922 amperex PQs and bugle boys. The bugle boys are a little warmer and a bit of edge taken off the highs (definitely). And as mentioned earlier they do lose a little detail. But a touch of detail lost (for me) is okay for the edge taken off.

I use the bugle boys with my Gec 6as7g and the 6922 PQs for my other power tubes that already have a bit more warmth.

Also have a look on "joes tube lore" if you haven't. Just google it. It seems to be an accurate guide for the more popular tubes.

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #302 of 1,006
Not also grab the cheap ones in the classifieds are go from there. That's how I bought my bugle boys

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #303 of 1,006
Hm, seems like whenever I plug something into my Lyr 2 now with this tubs, they make an odd hiss sound and then it dies down. Is this normal?

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #304 of 1,006
  Hm, seems like whenever I plug something into my Lyr 2 now with this tubs, they make an odd hiss sound and then it dies down. Is this normal?

Hiss or ringing? High frequency ringing could sound like a hiss. Not normal for all tubes but for a percentage of tubes, it happens. Typically it fades after the initial ring.
Tap the tubes lightly with a pencil eraser or finger nail, does it happen again? Ringing usually happens when you tap the tube or the amp or make a connection. One tube or both? Does channel switch when you switch tubes?

Give the tubes some burn time anyway to settle in, at least 24 hrs, that's not full burn, just a start.
If it's not ringing, just low level noise, it can clear up sometimes with time. Ringing will usually remain. I have several tube sets with minor ringing, but the tubes sound great and I use them.

Where did you purchase the tubes?

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #305 of 1,006

Hiss or ringing? High frequency ringing could sound like a hiss. Not normal for all tubes but for a percentage of tubes, it happens. Typically it fades after the initial ring.
Tap the tubes lightly with a pencil eraser or finger nail, does it happen again? Ringing usually happens when you tap the tube or the amp or make a connection. One tube or both? Does channel switch when you switch tubes?

Give the tubes some burn time anyway to settle in, at least 24 hrs, that's not full burn, just a start.
If it's not ringing, just low level noise, it can clear up sometimes with time. Ringing will usually remain. I have several tube sets with minor ringing, but the tubes sound great and I use them.

It's not really a pure ring that you'd hear from a bell or hitting glass. It's like a high pitched hiss really. It starts after full connection to the amp and within a second fully diminishes and the amp is dead silent through the volume pot, sans the dangerous levels of volume on high gain and dead silent through the whole pot on low gain. This only happens in the left channel.  It does not happen when I turn the amp on, but I wasn't willing to cool the tubes off for more than 10 minutes to cool off. Oh and I bought them from Upscaleaudio

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #306 of 1,006

It's not really a pure ring that you'd hear from a bell or hitting glass. It's like a high pitched hiss really. It starts after full connection to the amp and within a second fully diminishes and the amp is dead silent through the volume pot, sans the dangerous levels of volume on high gain and dead silent through the whole pot on low gain. This only happens in the left channel.  It does not happen when I turn the amp on, but I wasn't willing to cool the tubes off for more than 10 minutes to cool off. Oh and I bought them from Upscaleaudio

Switch the tubes  and see if the noise switch's to the right channel to narrow it down.    Upscale is legit and I know they test their tubes.

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #307 of 1,006
Ok I will. Oh and I confirmed it also does the noise when turning the gain from low to high and when the amp is powered down

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #308 of 1,006
Yep, it switched sides. It's not as bad on this side though....or it could be me not remembering. Regardless, it's definitely just one of the tubes causing the issue, if you can call it an issue. Like I said before, the tubes sound good and there is no hissing or anything otherwise. It just comes when I turn the gain from low to high, when the amp powers down, and when I plug a headphone in.

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #309 of 1,006
  Yep, it switched sides. It's not as bad on this side though....or it could be me not remembering. Regardless, it's definitely just one of the tubes causing the issue, if you can call it an issue. Like I said before, the tubes sound good and there is no hissing or anything otherwise. It just comes when I turn the gain from low to high, when the amp powers down, and when I plug a headphone in.

I would ask Upscale about it.  Glad its not the amp.

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #310 of 1,006

I would ask Upscale about it.  Glad its not the amp.

I probably will. Regardless, they work well and they sound really good, but definitely could use some burn-in time I think. We'll see how it goes.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #311 of 1,006
  I read some conflicting reports on the Amperex Orange Globes vs Bugle Boys on which one is brighter & which one is warmer.

I'm looking for lush, liquid, SMOOTH sound over a analytical, brighter & accurate sound.
More emphasis on bottom end rather than top end.

Preferably a lower gain as well, so I can turn the volume knob at higher levels.

I actually do have the '74 Voskhod 6N23P Gray shields & while they are fantastic in the Woo 2, they are a bit too bright & revealing in my other tube amp.
I'm using the HD800 headphone, which are a tad bright themselves. So I'm looking something to tame it.

Just keep in mind the '74 Voskhods are $40/pr tubes - and no where near the best of the 6N23P's.  Here was my ranking of the Voskhods:
  All Voskhod Rockets 6n23p Kaluga factory:

#1 1975 Gray Shields - Supreme detail, coupled with this magical flow or liquidity to the music...just draws you in.  I try to read while listening to my headphones.  These just make you drop the book and turn the volume up.  Sit back and enjoy the ride as they sweep you away.  Rich textured tone, deep extended tight bass...Who said the HD800 have wimpy bass!  Not with these.  Sound stage - surround sound, reflected sounds actually project behind you!  As well as wall to wall and 30 ft deep in front, with tons of air blooming from each instrument.  The effect enhanced by closing your eyes.  I did this last night...for 4 hours!  Dead quite, zero floor noise, the incredible details just project from inky blackness...you really notice this at the end of songs as they fade into this deep black silence.  The next track re-emerging, building, as you forget how high you've set the volume!  Never harsh or brittle - and here is the magic, even at higher volume levels.  Levels that would have you diving, on most other non-Super V-R tubes, to turn down as the etch becomes annoying.
With the sweet nature of these tubes, it allows you to add this additional volume, the sound becomes enveloping.  You're really projected into a different venue.  What the high end headphone experience is all about!
These are my new reference tubes - so I will describe the other V-Rs based on these.

#2 1975 Silver Shields - these are almost a tie for first.  They actually have even more detail!  But lack a bit of the liquid flow that's so captivating on the '75 grays.
Also have the tonal richness and sweet character.  Likewise the same bass extension and tightness.  Ditto for the sound stage as above.

#3 1978 Silver Shields - Just a bit less detail then above.  Great flow, slightly smaller sound stage - but still wide and deep compared to most tubes.

#4 1976 Gray Shields - A little less detail again.  Good flow - the sound stage is very good.

#5 1977 Silver Shields - Very detailed, a little more analytical.  Nice harmonically rich tone - The Prince of V-Rs.

#6 1974 Gray Shields - Very nice tube.  Liquid mid range, sweet tonality.  A slight reduction in the ultimate detail retrieval and sound stage width and depth. Good bass.

#7 1979 Silver Shields - Amazing detail and mid-range liquidity.  This is were, what I refer to as the 'Super-Voskhods', starts.

#8 1980 Silver Shields - Awesome tube - borders on greatness.  Lacks the extreme detail of the above mentioned tubes.  Also - not quite the tonal richness (would not recommend added volume with these)

#9 1979 Gray Shields - With the '79s and '80s the Silver variant is better - More detailed.  That's not true after '79 - in fact the 'King' is the '75 Grays.

#10 The 1981 -1989s Gray or Silver - Good tubes, won't bowl you over.  Pleasant to listen to.

After that - the 1990s on - pretty pedestrian.  These and the '81-'89s are what's pretty much typical of what's available now on E-bay and through the Russian Dealers.  I hope they don't sour folks on the Voskhod magic.

The best of the Voskhods -the '75 Gray only ranked only #9 in the best of shootout.  Not sayin g for $30-$40 the '74 Voskhods aren't good  - but hard to compare with tubes costing $200 to $280/pr like the BB's. For that kind of money you can get a pristine pair of HG's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUGLE-BOY-6DJ8-ECC88-6922-AMPEREX-MATCHED-PAIR-TUBES-1961-AMPLITREX-PROOF-L-K-/291509942279?hash=item43df58b807:g:EAkAAOSw5VFWN3Ib

Reflektor Holy Grail '75 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields121.7
Siemens Cca Gray Shield '63s117.8
Siemen Cca Gray Shield '65s117.5
Telefunken Ulm E188CC '60s117.3
Reflektor '74 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields116.1
Amperex PW D Getter115.2
Philips Miniwatt SQ E188CC Herleen Halo Getter VR9 '64114.2
Amperex USN-CEP 7308 White '65 VR5113.7
Voskhod '75 6N23P Gray Shield SWGP111.3
Amperex 7308 Green Print '68109.1
Siemens E88CC '60s Gray107.6
Telefunken Ulm E88CC '60s107.5
Reflektor 6N23P '65 Dual Straight Wire Getter106.8
Valvo Herleen E88CC '67 Large Halo Getter106.3
Nevz 6N1P-E '66 105.3
Siemens E88CC '70s Silver100.0

Quote:

You are right sometimes this kind of noise will go away.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #312 of 1,006

It's not a ring like a bell or glass but rather a high pitch "Ting" that fades long or short. Upscaleaudio actually mentions this with some tube selections such as the Siemens E88CC: "...so if you hear a slight "TING!" when you flip switches or tap your preamp don't worry... it's normal."

Bottomline, it's an expensive tube set and you want to hear good sound, amazing sound, and... feel good about the purchase!
Keep burning and listening but if it's a distraction or something you know you don't want to live with, go on record with Upscaleaudio now. Kevin is likely to tell you to burn for a while and get back to him. It's also important to Upscale that you are satisfied with the purchase. BTW, if this a Platinum match pair, I would be much less tolerant of accepting anything that is annoying. You are paying top dollar for the assurance of top quality.

Trust your ears :) I see you're feeding the Lyr2 with a GMB from USB, if the USB is clean and the recordings are good quality, you should have amazing sound coming from these tubes.

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #313 of 1,006
Could someone help me identify this 6922 tube?
The branding is International C Servicemaster Germany. I searched & looks like that company rebrands random tubes, but doesn't make them.

http://i.imgur.com/SBf22bb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xfORzr0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3diI3Z2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gsnnCdL.jpg

Look familiar to anyone?

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #314 of 1,006
Check this Voskhod rebrand out - http://www.ebay.com/itm/222081870444 :) Gold pins . I think the only other Gold pins 6N23P rebrand I've seen is Zaerix. There are many others non-gold pins ofc like Zais, Giant Electronics Brand, Amperex and more, but still rarely you see a gold pinned 6N23P (probably just gold plated).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back