6 volt battery hack
Sep 18, 2007 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jeff Guidry

Headphoneus Supremus
I just found out about this battery hack from another forum.

Watch this video:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/824477...ull_be_amazed/

My first instinct when watching this video was to wonder if each of those identically sized batteries was a full 1.2 volts as a standard AA battery is, and if it had the same mah rating that a standard AA has.

Anyone familiar with this hack? Are the resulting batteries actually the direct equivalent of a store bought AA?

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading the comments it seems a lot of the 6v batteries are made up of 4 elongated D cells. And AA batteris are 1.5v.

I guess I'm thinking of rechargeables then.......which then leads to the question of whether these batteries from these units are actually 1.5v.

Anyone?

With 4 D cells at 1.5v each, that makes 6v, which makes sense.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'm thinking of rechargeables then.......which then leads to the question of whether these batteries from these units are actually 1.5v.

Anyone?

With 4 D cells at 1.5v each, that makes 6v, which makes sense.

The cell voltage is determined by battery chemistry. Alkaline cells have a nominal voltage of about 1.5V, NiMH and NiCd 1.2V, Lithium ion 3.6V. Assuming you've got a standard alkaline or zinc-carbon 6V battery, it will be composed of multiple 1.5V cells.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 15
Seemed cool and useful until reading some comments.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 15
Seem fake to me but what would I know I never open a 6V battery before.

Upon re-watching I just notice the huge GAGFILMS title at the beginning of the video
wink.gif
Yea I know I wasn't paying much attention the first time.

What tips me off is how the battery are all free floating and not connected together. I would expected if they want to make 6V with multiple AA they would wrap everything tightly in a battery pack or be somehow more secured than that.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seem fake to me but what would I know I never open a 6V battery before.

Upon re-watching I just notice the huge GAGFILMS title at the beginning of the video
wink.gif
Yea I know I wasn't paying much attention the first time.

What tips me off is how the battery are all free floating and not connected together. I would expected if they want to make 6V with multiple AA they would wrap everything tightly in a battery pack or be somehow more secured than that.

It's not a gag.

The reason they're not tightly secured inside the package is because there's no reason to do so. Extra materials/assembly cost and all that. The lid with the contacts has to clamp the batteries hard enough to ensure good electrical connections. That'll provide more than enough force to keep the batteries from moving around.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 15
Not being one to believe whats on the WWW (or youtube for that matter). I decided to give it a shot myself.

I was in the mail room today, and glanced at the battery recycle bin and low-behold, what do I see?...

Some dead lantern batteries waiting to be recycled.
0919071222nd4.jpg

Brought all 3 back to my desk for a little autopsy (no dremel required for this one!)

Sample #1, an Eveready = some funky non-D cells.
0919071220cr8.jpg

Sample #2, a Duracell dated Mar2000 = Some generic OEM-looking D-cells
0919071224xi6.jpg

Sample#3, a Duracell dated Jan 2003 = Off the shelf D batteries
0919071219vj2.jpg

0919071219acq7.jpg

Overall a very productive lunch-break. No AA's in site however
rs1smile.gif
At the very least there is a lot of variation from battery to battery.

Sep 19, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 15
Nice lunch investigation Kramer!

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #13 of 15
Never allow lithium batteries to short across their terminals, they will blow! Danger, Danger, Will Robinson!

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 15
Here's another sacrifice for our bit of investigative interneting. This is a dead Rayovac. No AA's. This particular 6V has 4 1.5V cells (I assume) in series that are the same diameter as standard D's, but the cells are as tall as the housing, unlike the shorter, normal D cells in Kramer's 6V.

008.jpg

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 15
I wanted to know what was inside a 3v lithium battery once, and cut it open with a hacksaw. As the saw cut it made sparks, and there was a strange smell. It had some polymer mixed with lithium inside. Don't bother!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back