5th Danish national Head-Fi meet - 3rd October 2009
Oct 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Anders

1000+ Head-Fier
The meet was very nice and a successful event. About 30 persons arrived of the 40 registered, unfortunately some had to opt out because of illness or unexpected happenings. We who arrived had a very good time and I hope to meet the others next year.

Big thanks to nc8000 and others who helped organize the meet.

The location of the meet was a former upper-class residence that now is used as an office, at the outskirts of Copenhagen and nearby the sea. There was a lot of equipment set up in four rooms so it was never overcrowded. I think the meet has reached a critical point - there is much to listen to - more than you have time for and you start thinking of next time already when you leave.

I think an important experience of such meetings is that there are lots of good headphones and other gear. Moderately priced equipment as well as high-end was represented and there were also low-budget systems that sounded good.

I will return with more impressions in a later post.

Oct 4, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 32
Hey, hey, hey!
smile.gif

With SR-007, HE60, HF2, K1000, PS-1000, L3000 around, with several amplification choices I am quite sure you all have a joyful time.

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 32
The L3000 wasn't there as I forgot to bring them (not good) and the K1000 rig did not turn up as the owner was one of the ones who succumbed to illness. Still a very nice meet and the biggest so far in Denmark.

Reposted from the organising thread.

Yes PS-1000 removed from wishlist (not that it was ever on it as it is open). They were the big disapointment of the day. The best word I can think of for their sound is vulgar, the HF2 seemed much better. Overblown and all over the place. Also the finish would be bad for a $200 phone let alone a $1600 one but then this is a Grado so not so unexpected. The rig of the meet for me was Anders' HE60 running from his tube Stax driver driven balanced from a big Wadia player (don't know the model). This bettered the HD800 with Adrenaline cable running from a HeadAmp GS-X fed balanced from the same Wadia player. To me I'm also happy to say that my new Ed8 held it's ground nicely againt those 2 though not being able to beat them being probably one of the worlds best closed phones provided that your ears fit inside the small cups (have still not heard the Stax 4070 as the Danish Stax importer was unable to turn up in the end).

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 32
Here are some pictures.

Head-fimeet1.jpg

Group-picture

Head-fimeet2.jpg

Head-fimeet3.jpg

Sound Magic PL50!! A big surprise to me. It was the first time I heard them and I really liked their great sound. They are not ER-4S quality but still a GREAT bargain for the money in my opinion.

Head-fimeet4.jpg

Head-fimeet5.jpg

The Sugden Headmaster!! Really really GREAT synergy with my favourite headphones - the SR325i. This amplifier has made it's way on to my wishlist after the meet!

Head-fimeet6.jpg

Old SR325 + SR325i and the HF-2. I am going to find some HD414 pads for my SR325's. Great improvement in sound and makes them easier on the ears.

Head-fimeet7.jpg

Head-fimeet8.jpg

A lot of Sennheiser grear. The IE8's weren't bad at all...

Head-fimeet9.jpg

The quiet library.... low light - perfect or in depth listening.

Head-fimeet10.jpg

Heavy activity around the table.

Head-fimeet11.jpg

Head-fimeet12.jpg

HF-2 and PS-1000 - side by side. I definitely liked the HF-2's better than the PS-1000.

Head-fimeet13.jpg

Head-fimeet14.jpg

Head-fimeet15.jpg

Head-fimeet16.jpg

Quick shift - A/B comparisons are really the essence of Head-fi meets.

Head-fimeet17.jpg

Head-fimeet18.jpg

Head-fimeet19.jpg

Head-fimeet20.jpg

All in all a great day. The PS-1000 went off the wishlist - the Sugden Headmaster made its way on it. :)
Regarding the HD800 - I think I am going to wait some time before I get it. I really really love the wearing comfort and space in the sound. But my conclusion after this meet is that I will gain MUCH more by getting a better amp. Even the Headamp GS-X was a great setup up. But the synergy and price-difference made the Headmaster my prefered choice.

Thanks nc8000 for arranging this!!

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 32
Next time I am on the list of attending, this is the 3´rd meet that I miss... why did I have to be in Brazil for 4 months, typical.

Oct 4, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 32
Really great, got the chance to hear some different Grado gear, the HE60 and Stax 007 on the 007 amp and loads of other stuff like this custom cable for HD800.... BTW did anyone notice me talking to the editor in chief of the T3 gadget magazine?
Also interested modded Dot IV oh and the new closed fullsize Shures where not bad at all!

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really great, got the chance to hear some different Grado gear, the HE60 and Stax 007 on the 007 amp and loads of other stuff like this custom cable for HD800.... BTW did anyone notice me talking to the editor in chief of the T3 gadget magazine?
Also interested modded Dot IV oh and the new closed fullsize Shures where not bad at all!

I never noticed you talked to T3??? Did he leave before I came in?

I did not like those Shures all that much - a set of HD595 would do much better in my opinion.
normal_smile .gif
- but they aren't closed of course.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 32
T3 was a she not a he and yes she left fairly early

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 32
Hey krmathis, hope we meet sometimes. It was close both in Stockholm and Copenhagen. I hope my short impressions can compensate somewhat for missing the meet, but of course very faint compared to reality.

One of the headphones I have wanted to hear for a long time is Audio-Technica W5000. And here it was. Even more beautiful in reality and very comfortable. My listening was short and I didn't listen to it with the top source at the meet, but it was obvious that the midrange and treble is of high quality and captivating. For my taste, the bass seemed to be a little under-emphasized. Also first time I heard a Sugden Headmaster that seems to be a neutral and smooth sounding amplifier. Good detail and no artificial coloration, but lean.

Also first time I heard the Dark Voice and Little Dot amplifiers. Nice sounding and good value. Not the ultimate in detail and transparency but pleasant to listen to with much warmth. There also was a modified Little Dot IV that had a very good and balanced sound with HD650 and seemed ideal for the classical music the owner listened to. He had modified it to tone down the warmth of the stock amp and probably also got better detail with the capacitor upgrades. Maybe the tubes were changed also.

I also listened to the Rudistor RPX-100 and Ultrasone Edition 8 combo. It is warmish and relaxing to listen to, no listening fatigue but not so much excitement. Not my cup of tea but I can see that is has a great strength as a bedroom system, where most top high-end systems would interfere with calming down before sleep.

The best sources were the current top of the line Wadia and the Weiss DAC1, different in character but both excellent. We used them mostly when listening to HD800, HE60 and Stax. The HD800's were driven both from the outputs of the Wadia and a Headamp GS-X, that is a very neutral and transparent amplifier. HD800 sounded very good balanced with GS-X. I didn't listen to the Wadia output but it was said to be competitive with GS-X in sound quality. Some seemed to like HE60 better than HD800 but I have no clear favorite and appreciate their different strengths. The HE60 was driven by my Stax 007t with Raytheon tubes that I like with this headphone. The competition was not fair for the O2 that is underpowered by this tube amp.

Lawton Audio had graciously sent a balanced Adrenalin for HD800 to the meet, burned-in by one of the participants before the meeting. And upgrade cables for HD800 is of great interest to me just now. When first listening to the HD800 /GS-X I didn't think much about the cable but noticed that it sounded better than what is usual with my Headroom Balanced Max. We swapped to the stock cable and it was clear to me that Adrenaline improved over the stock cable. With the stock cable the usual treble character of HD800 with stock cable returned. It is subtle but there is some unnaturalness, it is not harsh, not even especially bright but something I can't find a good description for. Smoothness and dynamics also improved with Adrenaline. I had no great exception on Adrenaline and a previous cable comparison showed less difference. Of course, it was a short listening to Adrenaline but I felt convinced that it improves on the stock cable in in important way. Finally, I don't like the looks of the cable and definitively not the price. But tempting it is.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-fimeet1.jpg

The group picture was taken towards the end when many had already left. At the top we were about 30. And as is typical of this kind of thing there was only one woman present, the editor of T3 magazine, and then some poor suffering wifes/girlfriends at the start and finish.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The location of the meet was a former upper-class residence that now is used as an office, at the outskirts of Copenhagen and nearby the sea.

Shameless location promotion

cdm1.jpg

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #12 of 32
The location is absolutely fantastic for the purpose of meets with different quiet rooms. And the beautifull surroundings are great too.

But if more people and maybe a few vendors attend next year it could be too small.

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #13 of 32
Well there are another 8 offices of varying sizes on 1st floor, it is just nicer for all to be on the same floor

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The location is absolutely fantastic for the purpose of meets with different quiet rooms. And the beautifull surroundings are great too.

But if more people and maybe a few vendors attend next year it could be too small.

Thought it was suppose to be without actual vendors...

On another note - good to know there is expainsion space however

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #15 of 32
Well headaudio.dk were there and HiFiFreaks.dk were supposed to have been there as well as the whole Jays range had Claus not been ill (and you kind of sort of a little bit representing Sennheiser). But yes you are right in that the intention is not for it to be a vendor driven fair but a freaks driven meet where some vendors of special interest to the head-fi community have a chance to show off some stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back