$5K for source(s)?
Jan 25, 2004 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

tk_suki

100+ Head-Fier
Believe with a budget of $5K less is better of course, might be able to get excellent redbook, SACD and DVD-A. 2 ch audio is my only concern.(video, MCH is a plus but thats it.)

I would prefer a Uni due to space, convenience and savings on cables.

My options are:
1) Wait - as tuberoller suggested for new models. But wondering how long?

2) DV-50 kind of does it at $4K, but minor jitter rpt, though I am not sophisticated enough to pick out in the stores(with components I do not plan to own) only read about it. UX-1 is way to expensive!

3) Good Uni for DACD/DVD-A ex. Pioneer 59AVi or Sony + separate redbook.

4) Good SACD player like Shanling T200, and pass on DVD-A for now;( but with mods costs get near DV-50.

5) Get dedicated redbook for $2K e.g. used meridian, now and wait for Uni later for SACD/DVD-A.

6) Put $2.5 towards R10s, (upgrading from CD3Ks) and be happy with $2 - $3K for source.

The dilemma is also, I can not effectively test any of the equipment together. It is pretty much impossible to get the headphones, amp, source and cables all together and do an effective comparison. So limited listening tests and feedback on this forum is all I will have to go on.

Keeping in mind 2 units mean more $ on cables plus space so would want to save money and/or get noticably better performance.

I am considering an amp along the lines of HR-2 or XP-7. Budgeting another max around $1K for cables interconnects/power.

I am following the "Expensive CDP or cheap SACD" thread where many pros/cons suggestions were provided but did not want to Hi Jack that thread.

welcome input.

Jan 25, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 27
Go for the DV-50. While the report on the jitter is mentioned, the guy who listened to it said he loved it and didn't motice much sound wise. It is simply a fabulous unit on all accounts, and the competiting players that come close are much more expensive. A member here recently got one and stated just how good it was and how good the redbook playback was when compared to expensive redbook only units.

Do a quick search in the source forum here and look for esoteric. Many good comments on this unit when compared to some other contenders.

Jan 25, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 27
Tk_suki,
YOu're based out of Japan, any word on the new 5.6Mhz Sharp Universal player? I have the 2.8Mhz SACD/DSD player and it rules. I think the more powerful DX-SX200 in combination with SM-SX200 amplifier would be an outstanding combination. I don't know if it would fit in your price range though. The SM-SX100 amp (older model) used to retail for $15,000.
regards
Kartik

Here's the press release:
"1-Bit Audio Super Home Theater (models SM-SX200, DX-SX200 and SO-SX200). Super 1-Bit digital amplifier (model SM-SX200) has a 5.6 MHz sampling rate, twice that of the original 1-Bit digital amplifier, 200 watts of output power, and 128fs sampling speed. Model DM-SX200 is a multi-channel super audio compact disc (SACD) player with DVD and DVD Audio. Paired together with the SO-SX200 multi-channel control center, the units create a super home theater for true enthusiasts. Product availability and pricing to be announced."

Jan 25, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 27
Ill throw in another option.

Cary 306/200 ~2500-2700$ used.

Excellent dedicated redbook and can be used separately as a dac/transport. Also plays hdcd, which is a nice bonus considering i didnt realize how many albums i had in hdcd.

Jan 25, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 27
I've started listening to my DV-50 and have been enjoying it a lot.

I have a 47Ai which works great -- if you go that route, I wouldn't get a separate red book player. Either use the redbook in the unit, or use a separate D/A convertor, or buy an i.Link compatible Pioneer or Yamaha receiver. You have a lot of options and all of them would sound great.

Jan 25, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 27
Get the Shanling CD-t200 SACD player with the level one plus mods from www.underwoodhifi.com You can read the reviews at www.6moons.com I have auditioned these players twice and they are totally AWESOME. The sacd is.......well, SACD. The redbook is unbelievable. You guys need to start checking out the Shanlings with mods. IMO they smoke the Carys, Meridians, and Wadias in the same price range.
If you could get buy without SACD. You can pick up a used Audio Aero Capitole MKII for about $5K on audiogon.

Jan 25, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 27
I like #6, the R10 idea!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 27
I would wait if I were looking for a universal player. THe new models that Tuberoller has spoken of are making their ways to reviewers hands now and will be available very soon. From what I hear the wait will be worth it.

Jan 25, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 27
Well I hate buyers remorse more than upgrade-itis. So appreciate the encouragement to wait. It will be several weeks at least b4 I am to assemble other components as well.

If new units are to be launched soon, should help to drive down older model prices too. So the other suggestions are still very helpful. I am starting a price watch on most plus reading-up.

#6 R10 idea? They are listed at 288Kyen at Yodobashi now with 10% discount(in store) but 5% tax. So close to $2.5K. I think this appears to be a reasonable price, er that is for these phones. Though, I need to reconcile whether they are that much better than having CD3Ks and Senn HD650s, for less than 1/2 cost. Yes I have seen the rave reviews on the R10s. Reason on my list.

Sharp - strange have not seen these models in the show-rooms? I may have over-looked if not in my price range, tend to not pay attention. I frequent Audio Dynamics the most, they have several branches hi to low, nice listening rooms, plus used equip. Audio Union as well. Then Yodobashi which does carry the SD-HX500 just over $1K, but would likely be in the home-theater sections along with their gorgeous Aquos TVs, but I already have Front PJ with DVI and HT setup. Will keep an eye out now that my curiosity is up. BTW $15K is more than I would like to spend. I feel I can be happy with much less.

Jan 25, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I would wait if I were looking for a universal player. THe new models that Tuberoller has spoken of are making their ways to reviewers hands now and will be available very soon. From what I hear the wait will be worth it.

Well only one of the models Tuberoller mentioned was a universal player (the new Philips -- replacement for the 963SA) and I doubt it will be as good as the players mentioned above. Indeed, Philips is considering withdrawing from the US electronics market and has a very weak presence in Japan.

I don't think universal players are in sufficient demand yet for substantial price drops.

Jan 25, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 27
For a stock Player The Esoteric DV50, Modified Player The Denon 2900 with a Reference mod which includes an Analog tube stage.Mod perform by John Tucker of www.exemplaraudio.com at a cost of $2500(Mod cost with tube analog output).
Having lived with the Shanling T200 with the underwood mod,Owned the Sony SCD1 and MarantzSA1 Sacd players,Also Redbook cd players Electrocompaniet EMC-1 SE and Audio Aero Capitole MKII.Cary 306-200.The Moded Denon 2900 IMHO is the most refined player i have come across for sacd/Rebook.For Redbook only cd,the Audio Aero is the best,but is very unreliable.
For the Street price of the Denon 2900 around $700 (used)and the mod $2500 Total $3200 you'll have a universal player that rivals pretty much everything on the market.
Remember the best deciding factor should always be an audition in your own listening enviroment.

Jan 26, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #14 of 27
Add the Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista to your list. SACD and awesome redbook CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back