5g iPod or iAudio X5 Decisions Decisions.... Recommendations?
Oct 20, 2005 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TWIFOSP

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've been waiting for the 5g iPod to arrive. I came extremely close to ordering an X5 several times after I broke my 4g iPod, but I decided to wait to see what Apple had in store. I liked my 4g iPod, so I wouldn't mind owning another... but I also like what the x5 has to offer.

I just want an audio player. I couldn't care less about the video capabilities of either player. The ipod has twice the space, which is appealing as I can easily fill that up with just my electronic folder, let alone my lossless folders that I already had ripped to AAC for my last iPod. In retrospect, having lossless on a portable device is cool, but it isn't very useful. So if I don't get the iPod, I will have to rerip a lot of music, but it doesn't bother me that much since I consider lossless on a portable device a waste of space.

So is the sacrificing of space worth the extra X5 features? I will be using a line out most of the time to an amp, and to the rca jacks in my car. So the x5 wins there, but the ipod has 3rd party solutions... so it doesn't win by much.

Who wins in audio quality?

I've read a bunch of threads and dapreview and all the new 5g reviews over the past few days and I'm even more torn between the two than ever. I might even have information overload. Everyone say a lot about both devices, but nothing that has been that definitive or has helped me make a decision. So I turn to head-fi, to yet again help me out. Sorry wallet!

What say ye head-fi?

Oct 20, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 22
I'm interested in hearing the replies as well. I'm going to be selling my Karma soon, and these two players are on my radar. One question though, does the X5 have gapless playback?

TWIFOSP, you should also look into the X5L, which has an incredible 35 hours of playback
eek.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 22
Bah, I'm in your shoes
k1000smile.gif

If I took my UK money to US though, I could afford both!

But I will thank Apple for releasing a video iPod at such great prices. The prices on UK webstores for the X5(L) has really dropped...

...making it harder for me! I also qualify for a student discount on apple store. Choices choices

Sorry I'm no help

Oct 20, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 22
If space is a concern the 60gb X5 is available
http://www.iaudiophile.net/news.php and cheaper than the ipod.
If lineout is important you should be aware that just about everyone hates the X5 lineout, but no-one has problems using the headphone out to an amp.
There hasn't yet been a decent comparison between the 2 as far as sq goes but from what I'm seeing(not hearing- I have yet to get my hands on one) the 5g is not a clear winner against the shuffle-more open, but less impactfull bass. I love the shuffle sound but still prefer the X5. If you use eq and/or effects the X5 must be the clear winner as it doesn't seem apple has done anything in this regard except maybe reduce some distortion on the most abysmal eq in the business. As a lover of the X5 sound, eq and effects my view at the moment is that the X5 still has the edge purely as a music player. I have, however ordered a 5g ipod and hope to post more detailed impressions in the next few weeks.

Oct 20, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 22
the line out sucks.. I would steer clear.

I got my 5th gen ipod 60 black for $360 so price isn't really an issue.

The video on the ipod is alot better as well. I don't have the number in front of me but there is a difference in video is an issue, mihgt want the ipod as well.

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 22
There's a 60G version of the X5 too, I think? Or at least there will be.

If you're using an amp and need a line-out, then don't go for the X5. The lineout really sucks, and it's not even on the player, but on a flimsy mini-dock which is going to break on you really fast. IPods have line-out cables that will do the job a lot better than the X5's silly mini-dock. Also, you already have a lot of AAC's, and it will be a hassle to re-rip.

The X5's biggest advantage is it's FLAC and .ogg support. It's headamp is also not bad, better than the 4G iPods and downwards. I had a lot of FLAC's and .ogg's lying around, so for me the decision was easy.

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
There's a 60G version of the X5 too, I think? Or at least there will be.

If they release an x5l 60gb it'll be no contest at all for me! I'm now about 50/50 torn on buying the x5 and 5g iPod, with a slight lean towards the iAudio. $365 from eCost is really tempting for the 60gb version:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/...pno~611243.asp

Oct 20, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch

If you're using an amp and need a line-out, then don't go for the X5. The lineout really sucks, and it's not even on the player, but on a flimsy mini-dock which is going to break on you really fast. IPods

Quote from Bangramans blog

" However the Line Out fall-off is something that I've rarely seen on modern players. According to my measurements at the headphone side of the Porta Corda II amplifier (input impedance: 3.6kohms), it is registering a 4.5db falloff at 47hz, with a 1db falloff starting at 130hz. Plugging in the Porta Corda II amp into the headphone socket of the X5 however, turning the volume up to max and turning off all effects, I'm rewarded by a ruler-flat frequency response and significantly decreased distortion compared to the subpack line out... a very audible difference, I ought to say."

So if he's getting such good results from the X5 headphone out, I dont really see the lineout issue as a problem, I know people talk about a cleaner signal path with a lineout but after Vinnie from redwineaudio exposed what was in the signal path from dac to lineout in the ipods he was looking at, it is no longer a traditional lineout anyway. So if the X5 headphone out to an amp performs well on the tests and sounds good I'm not going to be hung up on terminology. Anyway if you really do wan't a high quality lineout you'll need something like the redwineaudio mod.
And another thing-has anyone reported on an amped lineout from an ipod sounding better than the amped headphone out of the X5-I've never seen a claim like that being made. until someone makes that claim convincingly, I think the fact that you shouldn't use the dock on the X5 is perversley a plus- you don't have to worry about carrying around that flimsy and poorly designed piece of rubbish.

Oct 20, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 22
Not being a true audiophile, I'm sticking with iPod because it's convenient. I know the format well and I'm fine with all my files ripped to AAC 320kbps. Having grown up with the Sony Walkmen/Diskman, what I have now borders on the miraculous. Twentyfive years later I'm walking around with 3000 songs in my pocket, listening on headphones sounding better than anything I could have imagined back then. Hey, I'm counting my blessings, listening and lovin' it. I'm a lucky guy.
etysmile.gif

And the 580 cables for my HD 25-1's just showed.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #10 of 22
i am also in the same boat, i have wasted so much of my life during the past week trying to read up on both - its driving me crazy!

please, if any one is luckily enough to have both units
tongue.gif
(or access to them), let us know how they compare!

Oct 20, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 22
how about use in a home system for background music?

drop in cradles? they are seperate for both and I know the apple has a remote option as well

I am also looking at a phillips gogear HD6600 in the mix with the other 2.

I have a karma, want usbotg if I can but not mandatory, love the X5L battery life, not the nub stick. Like the apple interface but want more battery and dedicated volume.

The phillips meets all the requirements but still only 15 hours of battery life and I am concerned with the published Signal to noise, want some opinions on SQ...

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
How many people have heard both at this point?

A good question for sure. Sound quality is important, but aren't both regarded as being in the upper eschelon for SQ?

As far as the shuffle sound being better, I haven't heard one. But I did like the sound out of the 4g. It was very uncolored and I didn't really have to tweak my mp3s at all to get good bass. Of course, that could also be due to the fact that I was pairing it with a shure e5 and a SM3.

Maybe I'll just fix my old 4g, or buy another one since all I care about is audio anyway. My psp would blow both devices out of the water as far as video is concerned, but for me portable video is a waste of time. Portable device use: Gym, Car Stereo, and Work.

Damnit why do I have to be so picky and just pull the trigger on one...
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
If they release an x5l 60gb it'll be no contest at all for me! I'm now about 50/50 torn on buying the x5 and 5g iPod, with a slight lean towards the iAudio. $365 from eCost is really tempting for the 60gb version:

I think there is/will be a 60g version of the X5, but not the X5L. From what I've read, the extra space needed by the 60G HD will leave no room for the larger battery, unless they want to make the 60G version fatter than a McDonald's regular.

Oct 21, 2005 at 11:08 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador

I suppose it depends on how portable you want it to be. The 60Gb X5 is twice as thick as the 60Gb iPod (the 20Gb X5 is actually the same thickness as the 60Gb iPod 4G. iAudio's measurements are rather optimistic).

The theoretical advantage for me is when amping the X5, I can use the remote since I can use the subpack. However the subpack Line Out is flawed in much the same sonic manner as a 4G Photo iPod with a very low-impedance phone. It's definitely not unlistenable by any means, but you know you're not getting the best out of the player. Using the headphone out to amp is just a minor hassle, but it's one I can do without.

If the 5G iPod has even the same quality as the Nano, the X5 has no sonic advantage out of the headphone out for those who shun onboard processing as a rule. The iAudio is definitely more versatile in terms of features, but up to now I prefer the iPod as a player... which I presume those of us who invest in higher-end set-ups concentrate on. I don't expect my opinions to change with the 5G. I'll have comparative sonic impressions when I get a 5G, hopefully soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back