595 50 ohms?
Dec 6, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 14
I have ones that are 120 ohms. Can you contact the seller?

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I have ones that are 120 ohms. Can you contact the seller?

Well is there some difference in how they sound or how they can be driven? Thats the only reason i would care about it...

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 14
Not having heard both I can't really tell you the difference in sound. However, judging by the impedence I would say the 120 ohm headphones might be harder to drive and may benefit a bit more from an amp. Many people say the HD 595 don't need an amp to sound good. I pretty much always use an amp, though.

Dec 6, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by yevocdivad
ok, thanks. Its such a good price I think il just go ahead and get them, since im getting an amp anyway.

Well, i went ahead and ordered them, so they should be arriving on thursday
600smile.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 14
When they arrive, you can check its impedence if you have a multimeter handy. Simply set your multimeter to read ohms and read from left/right channel to ground. The readout will be what the impedence on your headphones is. It doesn't matter which channel you measure to ground, either one will work.

My HD595's read about 52 ohms.

Dec 6, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 14
You are stating how to measure resistance, a DC measurement. Impedance is different. Think of measuring the resistance of a capacitor... will be close to infinite since no DC current will flow. Impedance is a bit more complex, and is used in AC analysis... So a circuit that goes thru a capacitor does have impedance.
So... to people much smarter than I... could this be the source of the confusion in the two quoted values? Essentially both answers could be correct... 50 ohms resistance, 120 ohms impedance. I would think impedance is the more representative measurement for a headphone, since this is the measure of it's reaction to the entire circuit.

Dec 7, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigeek
So... to people much smarter than I... could this be the source of the confusion in the two quoted values? Essentially both answers could be correct... 50 ohms resistance, 120 ohms impedance. I would think impedance is the more representative measurement for a headphone, since this is the measure of it's reaction to the entire circuit.

No I believe there were actually two models of the HD 595. Mine is definitely 120 ohms, as it says so right on the package.

Dec 7, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 14
I just got the senn. 555 and the web site said they were 120 ohms but I think all of the 555-595 are now 50 ohms.

On the box of my new 555 it says 50 ohm. Not on a sticker but in the print with all the other print.

They only cost 103.00 + 10.00 shipping.

Dec 7, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
I just got the senn. 555 and the web site said they were 120 ohms but I think all of the 555-595 are now 50 ohms.

This is correct. Manufacturing of the 120 Ohm model stopped late last year, and sales shortly after.

Differences in sound are negligible.

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by yevocdivad
ok, thanks. Its such a good price I think il just go ahead and get them, since im getting an amp anyway.

My thoughts exactly. This is where I plan on purchasing mine, either today or tomorrow.

Dec 7, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
This is correct. Manufacturing of the 120 Ohm model stopped late last year, and sales shortly after.

Differences in sound are negligible.

Ah, good.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back