May 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 21
I own the 595 (nearly identical to the 598, save the removable cable) and the d2000.  For sound quality in electronica (my primary genre), I would say the 2000's win hands down.  The Senns excel at crisp airy sounds, which you don't find much of in this music.  The 595's are a little light on bass as well.  The d2000 on the other hand put out absolutely amazing sound for electronica, better than almost everything else I've heard.

I think you may be disapointed with the high end feel of either product though.  The Senns are very flexible, and while they seem to hold up pretty well, they just don't have that "solid" feel you would expect.  The Denons feel very flimsy, and are largely considered to be a "stay at home" can.  I would never wear these things outside, nor in any setting where I needed to move my head regularly.

Based on what you've said here, I think you may want to give the Phiaton MS400 a look.  They may be more in line with what you are looking for.  If you can scrape together a bit more cash, the Ultrasone pro line is probably perfect for you, but you're looking at a 300+ market at that point.

May 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 21
I disagree with that statement but we may just have very different standards.  With the exception of the cups, nothing on them is plastic -- that to me puts them a cut above many headphones.  Additionally, they're considered a "stay home" headphone because of their ridiculously long (and hard to deal with) cord, not due to their construction.

Quote:
I own the 595 (nearly identical to the 598, save the removable cable) and the d2000.  For sound quality in electronica (my primary genre), I would say the 2000's win hands down.  The Senns excel at crisp airy sounds, which you don't find much of in this music.  The 595's are a little light on bass as well.  The d2000 on the other hand put out absolutely amazing sound for electronica, better than almost everything else I've heard.

I think you may be disapointed with the high end feel of either product though.  The Senns are very flexible, and while they seem to hold up pretty well, they just don't have that "solid" feel you would expect.  The Denons feel very flimsy, and are largely considered to be a "stay at home" can.  I would never wear these things outside, nor in any setting where I needed to move my head regularly.

Based on what you've said here, I think you may want to give the Phiaton MS400 a look.  They may be more in line with what you are looking for.  If you can scrape together a bit more cash, the Ultrasone pro line is probably perfect for you, but you're looking at a 300+ market at that point.

May 6, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 21
I don't think the 595 is identical to the 598.

Quote:

For a more natural, airy spacious sound, go for the 598.

For a more club feel from your music, go for Denon.

May 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 21
The d2000 cups themselves are very nice, but the cup forks and the headband are flimsy and poorly designed as far as I'm concerned.  They barely stay on my head.  The cable is the least of my concerns for portability.

May 7, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 21
I had them for a while, they were way too dry for the proper enjoyment of music. Analysing imperfections of recording yes, actual listening to the music - no.

May 7, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 21
Since you have S4, i think you'll love D2000. D2000 is v shaped eq hp with bass thump and clear hi., which goes great with music with beats. HD598 is smooth and more polite. Yes, I own both.

May 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 21
D2000 every time for me!
wink.gif

May 7, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 21
Out of what you've listed there I'd also opt for the Denon.

Also just to throw this out there, if you want well constructed feel high end headphones with plenty of bass and yet with a wide airy soundstage - ie not boxed in sounding - have you considered the Beyer DT 990 Pro ?  They don't get that much love here, people say the treble is/can be harsh but in my opinion for me it's an overstated statement.....they've steel frames, comfortable, plenty of bass, also wide and airy sounding with plenty of detail. Actually made in Germany too. Unlike the Sennheiser HD650 which is made in Ireland if I'm not mistaken. 

Just thought I'd name drop there, since you seem to be in the same boat I was in and the DT990 Pro nailed it for me on bass, look and feel. Another option (perhaps better for you) might be the Beyer DT 770 Pro (80ohm) supposedly bass cannons and same build quality as the DT 990 Pro from the looks of things.

I'd be tempted with the Denon though - in fact I was lol! This close but it was about 100 dearer than I could justify at the time....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back