5400RPM vs 7200RPM
Nov 21, 2010 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sonci

500+ Head-Fier
I have to buy a new desktop internal hard disk for my growing music library,
I see that the 5400rpm (green) hard drives are really cheaper than the same sized 7200s,

Is it ok to go for the slower ones? Any experience?
I`m not using any NAS or htpc, just serial ata2.
The OS is in a raid array,

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Higher RPM is helpful if you're pushing large amounts of audio or video. For normal stereo playback 5400 should be fine.

Agreed. By higher amounts of audio it should be pointed out that this most likely applies to recording & mixing more than 24 channels of CD qualty audio (16 bit 44.1 KHz) or eight channels of DVD-Audio qualty audio (24 bit 96 KHz). Above 16 channel DVD-Audio quality I would use a RAID setup to get the neccessary bandwidth + cushion in the case that other unplanned activities kick in during recording

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 7
Definetly slower ones. Higher speed is only useful when you have to move lots of stuff around or your HD is under heavy load and needs to be fast (like loading in videogames). Using it as movie or music storage for playback doesnt even break a sweat for slower spinning harddrives. Plus they are usually more silent, though there are VERY silent fast harddrives too like some samsung models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back