<$50 Home headphones
Jul 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Gensou

100+ Head-Fier
My Pannies HTF600 broke so I am shopping for something a little bit better but at not much higher cost. 

I use the Xonar DG soundcard if that matters, it has a built in amp for headphones.
I game occasionally:Dota2, Smite, APB, etc.
Listen to music: Prog./Alt. Rock, Trance, DnB
Watch a ton of movies. Probably 50% of the time watching movies.
My PC is somewhat loud so I would like something that would keep the PC noise out. I don't care about sound leaking out though.
Needs to be comfortable and durable. 

Not sure if there is anything that will fit my criteria for under $50.

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 21
I've used the JVC HA-RX700's for a year and they should fit your needs very well, and they are only $32. I listen to a lot of classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, so the headphones will work well for any type of rock. They should also perform well for trance, and DnB. The HA-RX700 are fairly neutral but do have a bit of emphasis on the bass. The HA-RX700's are incredibly durable, I've dropped them numerous times without any damage, and you would have to try and break them. As for comfort they are a little on the heavy side, but the headband is awesome, and the length adjustment system is one of the best I've seen/used. These headphones do isolate sound, though not as good as more expensive headphones, but they will isolate a fair amount of sound and on top of that they do not leak. JVC also makes HA-RX900 which can be found on Amazon for $52-56, though I understand that is outside of your under $50 requirement, but I thought I would mention it anyway. 

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 21
Have you considered the Superlux HD668b? If you want to try something new, They're sort of the polar opposite of the Pannies.

They're open but they isolate fairly well for open headphones. They have a very bright sound signature. Very detailed and analytical. Not colored at all. Large soundstage. They have a lot of bass for an open headphone but nowhere near as much as the Panny. Better build quality too. I had a pair of 681 (identical build quality) and they only broke when I opened them up and wasn't careful enough. I dropped them, slammed them on my desk out of anger, not a scratch.

The JVC I heard uses the same driver as the panasonic and it built very good for price.

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:
Have you considered the Superlux HD668b? If you want to try something new, They're sort of the polar opposite of the Pannies.

They're open but they isolate fairly well for open headphones. They have a very bright sound signature. Very detailed and analytical. Not colored at all. Large soundstage. They have a lot of bass for an open headphone but nowhere near as much as the Panny. Better build quality too. I had a pair of 681 (identical build quality) and they only broke when I opened them up and wasn't careful enough. I dropped them, slammed them on my desk out of anger, not a scratch.

The JVC I heard uses the same driver as the panasonic and it built very good for price.

Yes, I second this! OP, definitely check those out. When I was overseas for vacation I was fortunate enough to find these and pick them up for $45. Great pair of headphones for the price. You get $100+ sound for less than $50. I actually kinda like them better than my Sennheiser HD429s.

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Yes, I second this! OP, definitely check those out. When I was overseas for vacation I was fortunate enough to find these and pick them up for $45. Great pair of headphones for the price. You get $100+ sound for less than $50. I actually kinda like them better than my Sennheiser HD429s.

Better than Pannies HTF600?

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
Better than Pannies HTF600?

They aren't really better or worse. It's like comparing a butter knife to a chefs knife. 

Pannies are warm sounding with lots of bass, smooth highs, slightly recessed mids and a mediocre soundstage.

Superlux are REALLY bright with a lot of detail and thundering highs, a larger soundstage then the Panasonic, not lacking in bass but not as much as the pannies. So much treble it might require a bit of EQ in the highs but only if you're really sensitive to treble.

Technically I guess they could be considered an upgrade since they have a better soundstage/detail then the pannies.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
It's like comparing a butter knife to a chefs knife. 

Well, the chef's knife is sharper, so it'll inflict more damage.  But the butter knife might offer a more visceral feel to it.  The dullness of the butter knife, would allow you to really put your all into it and not feel like you're going overboard.  Just years of pent up aggression could be let loose as you ever deeper into the victim.  Honestly however, I'm a big fan of paying homage, so ultimately I might choose neither and go with the wooden spoon.  It certainly is dull, and will hurt more, supposedly.

Oh...  you probably meant cutting ability in kitchen purposes.  Yeah, I see your point.

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 21
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HTX7-G1-Monitor-Headphones-green/dp/B00186YNIA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2CIKPQT31RVWM&coliid=I18QWLKAVXFV12

I haven't had a chance to try these out myself, but from everything I've read they seem promising.  They seem to review as being durable, comfortable and isolate well.  They're also rather inexpensive being around $32 on amazon currently.  Oh yeah, they also have color options if that might interest you.  Given your previous experience with Panny HTF600, this might suit you.

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 21
Does anyone know anything about Samson SR850?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280930993827

Right now I am looking at. I am looking for an upgrade from my HTF-600 so I am not sure about some of these.
  1. Superlux HD668B
  2. Samson SR850
  3. Monoprice 8323

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
I like the hd201's, they're around $30. I was very impressed with them, even compared to my srh440's...

I could be wrong, but I think Fry's Electronics is having a sale on them.  I know they are in the store, not sure if it applies to online purchase as well, they were marked down to 18.

Honestly, kind of tempted to give em a try for 18 myself

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 21
I should mention the Samson and Superlux are the same headphone. Except the Samson is slightly easier to drive and doesn't have a detachable cable. I recommend the 668b/Samson over the mono's if you want to try something different. Both are excellent for price. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #15 of 21
+1 for 668B

and to also consider HD661 maybe ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back