50% Gaming 50% Media - Budget ~300 CAD - Looking for Suggestions
Dec 8, 2011 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

domino584

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I'm going to bite the bullet. I'm looking for headphones for ~300 CAD. I also don't plan on upgrading them or replacing them for awhile.

They'll be used for 50% music and movies and 50% gaming. They'll be powered through the headphone jack on a Pioneer 520k receiver.

Criteria:

1. I'm looking for natural, real, sound. No colouration.
  2. Great sound stage.
  3. Full frequency response. I don't want any compromise (or as little as I can get in this price range). I don't want amazing bass that causes recessed highs or muddy mids. I also don't want good mids and highs but poor or non-existent bass.
  4. Low distortion cable.
  5. Comfort in long sessions.
  6. A carrying case (doesn't need to be included in price) - for storage. I'm going to ask my Dad for a headphone stand for Christmas that he'd craft up. Would be nice. But for travelling or lan-parties, it would help out a lot.
  7. Isolation.
  8. Good depth.
  9. edit: Explosive Bass; explosions should sound and feel explosive.

I'm looking at the Shure 940s, but wonder if there are any better phones in this price range?  

Cheers on input!

Edit:  Due to the lack of closed back headphones in this range for choice, what other options are available outside of closed back do I have?  Semi open would be great as it kinda builds on both realms.

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 40
Thanks for the suggestions... are the Shure 940s not good?  What's your input on those cans?

Oh, those Fischers look really nice.  Is the wooden one any better with the wooden encasing?  That might just be my next pair of cans.

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 40

Quote:
I'm looking at the Shure 940s

Quote:
I also don't want good mids and highs but poor or non-existent bass.

You have answered your question :).

SRH940 is a very good headphone with beautiful midrange but lack bass imo.

Without isolation its easy, HD600.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 40

Quote:

You have answered your question :).

SRH940 is a very good headphone with beautiful midrange but lack bass imo.

Without isolation its easy, HD600.

Oh.  Thanks.

It sounds like I posted that wrong, I meant that I don't want a headphone that is only good in the high/mid range but completely lacks the low end.  Do you think the Fischers would maintain the quality of the shures for the midrange (and even high) while still getting that bass response?

I'm reading his review on the shures now.  I was hoping for spending 300 bucks, but I might spend less if these Fischers are as good as the reviews I'm reading.  Holy crap.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:
Do you think the Fischers would maintain the quality of the shures for the midrange (and even high) while still getting that bass response?

Sorry i don't known Fisher line. (no puns,lol)

SRH840 is not very natural, but has better bass.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 40

Quote:

Sorry i don't known Fisher line. (no puns,lol)

SRH840 is not very natural, but has better bass.

lol.  Hmm... alright.

Well, the fischers might take awhile until they get shipped in, so I won't be able to enjoy them over Christmas.  Though, if they do perform like the others, then I'll definitely just grab them and make due with what I have until then.

I can't get the A900x for a reasonable price here, and although I have been suggested the ultrasone 650s, I don't hear as good as reviews as the others.  Do the 272s have lacking bass as some of the reviews show?  I like how the reviews are saying that they are so detailed that you can hear people adjusting their strings/using the foot pedals during orchestras.  That is something that really is leaning me towards them, but, if the bass doesn't extend that low then I dunno...  One thing that I really disliked about my 555s was that horrific bass and really sharp mid-highs.  Vocals are important to me as well in music.

Oh, what about teh Q701.  They seem to make up for what the 272s lack?

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 40

The Shure SRH-940's have very good quality sub-bass, from what I could tell.

The 840's sounded a bit muddy.

The only complaint about the 940's seems like the "mid-bass hole", in reality I wonder if it accentuates the sub-bass / lower-mids to give them a cool sound, idk have to try them again and listen more.

There's a lot of headphones out there, some people are very satisfied with the sub-$100 Creative Aurvana Live, Sony ZX700 and Fostex T50RP too.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 40

Quote:

The Shure SRH-940's have very good quality sub-bass, from what I could tell.

The 840's sounded a bit muddy.

The only complaint about the 940's seems like the "mid-bass hole", in reality I wonder if it accentuates the sub-bass / lower-mids to give them a cool sound, idk have to try them again and listen more.

There's a lot of headphones out there, some people are very satisfied with the sub-$100 Creative Aurvana Live, Sony ZX700 and Fostex T50RP too.

Alright, I'd stand clear from teh 840s.  I hear the 940s lack that "boom".  Is it safe to say that by realistic sound, that "boom" that you get from explosions is related to realistic sound?

Hah, yeah, that's what is getting me now.  There are so many headphones to choose from and I want to get a pair that satisfies everything where as I'd be keeping them for awhile.  I'm once again learning towards the Fischers.  I guess I'd have to do with not hearing them until march or so...

Alright, I might go with these: http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=134&category_id=5&keyword=fischer+audio&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

the 8 strip beechwood ones.  I heard one of the reviews on here by LFF, would the 8 strip sound the same as the one he got or at least sound better then the 003s?

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 40

If you use a good DAC/Amp and a little equalizing in the bass then I've heard the 940 can become pretty intense.

Not sure if you already have a quality sound-card or DAC, but check out the Musiland Monitor 02 or 03 for instance, their driver software has "Mu bass".

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 40
I'm just going to be using the Pioneer 520k receiver to do all the audio processing (for computer and music).  I'll just do PCM directly to the receiver.  Later on, I'll be grabbing an external DAC.

Ugh, I dunno about the Fischers now.  I can't easily obtain them in Canada.  What other suggestions or "hidden gems" are there?

Right now, realistically, only the Shures and the AKGs are in the price range.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 40
I wonder if those AKG K550 would be good.  I don't think they're quite available yet...

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #14 of 40

Quote:
I wonder if those AKG K550 would be good.  I don't think they're quite available yet...

Lol, I'm now leaning towards the 272 HDs now.  I can get them in Canada.  They are suppose to be extremely detailed which is something I'm craving in my games.  I once had this cheap pair that I got from radio shack that had a very detailed mid-high range, which was just about all it had.  The grinding sound on the metal weapons was amazing.  At first I thought the 272s would be lack luster as the bass wasn't there, but it seems that the bass is just more realistic rather then over-exposed.

But these K550s.  How do they compare to the 272s?

Quote:

The reviews don't really seem promising?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back