5-year Re-Review: Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000
Oct 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #16 of 40

Quote:
Very nice and honest re-review ASR

Wondering your thought if perhaps you ever tried the AD1000PRM to compare to your most favourite headphone :)

I'd be interested in this comparison too. I was looking where to buy an AD1000PRM, but it's been a moot effort.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #17 of 40

Quote:
For me as you go higher up the chain the "holy ****" moments become few and far between - though I have not heard any of the full-sized flagships yet. Maybe something that you enjoy listening to music from will suffice, rather than looking for the next audio revelation which may or may not exist
o2smile.gif

That being said, I'm looking at picking up the AD2K as my first full-sized cans as well - been doing a ton of reading and these really interest me, especially their ease of drive. Do they really sound as "wrong" with classical as the opening review suggests? My music is part mellow female vocals, part pop/electronica, and small part classical. Will they run fine out of an Audinst HUD-MX1?

Yeah I understand what you're saying. I do have faith that I'll find another set of headphones (paired with the right amp) that'll blow me away. I'm hoping it's from the HD800 or LCD-2. ... I need something to look forward to here...haha.

In the meantime, I suppose I'll just continue to explore different amps for the AD2k, maybe try to find a used Gilmore or Dynalo. Was hoping I could find one amp that would suffice for both the AD2k and a future purchase of the HD800 or LCD-2. 

Anyway, thanks for the great review ASR!

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:
Love the can's so far, and have noticed a decent amount more detail on these as compared to the ATH-W1000's at the house. Very, very impressive! And I definitely plan on keeping them... however, I'm not completely blow away by them. Do guys think it's because of the amp i'm using?

And would I get the "holy ****" effect by moving on to HD800's or LCD 2's? 

I remember the first time I heard the W1000's, I had one of those "wow" moments, but that was considering the fact that the only headphones I heard before were my Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii's, Sony V6, V700's, and a variety of Pioneer, Stanton and Technic's headphones.... and compared to those, the W1000 was absolutely amazing! 

I don't mean to sound cliche but every time I hear a well recorded album, be it new or simply one I haven't heard in some time I get that holy **** effect. I would argue that when I'm no longer surprised (stopping whatever I'm doing simply to listen) then I'll move on, I'll try another headphone etc. I'd consider myself to have a short attention span, so if I'm not blown away listening to music I'll stop and do something else. I think it also helps that on a daily bases I hear typical speakers, car stereos, movie theatres and can truly appreciate my audio setup at the end of the day.

When you find your perfect setup you'll stop searching and start enjoying.

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #19 of 40

I'd be interested in this comparison too. I was looking where to buy an AD1000PRM, but it's been a moot effort.

Its just a rare limited edition, I only had the chance at the London Head-Fi meet. My PRM compared against two AD2000s.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:
Love the can's so far, and have noticed a decent amount more detail on these as compared to the ATH-W1000's at the house. Very, very impressive! And I definitely plan on keeping them... however, I'm not completely blow away by them. Do guys think it's because of the amp i'm using?

And would I get the "holy ****" effect by moving on to HD800's or LCD 2's? 

I really want to experience that again, so: better amp, or move on to LCD-2 or HD800? 
Hoping ASR can chime in, since he seems to have experience with all of the above, and we listen to very similar music.

I wouldn't know about the amp you're using, can't offer anything there. As for the HD800 and LCD-2, I consider those more as different flavors than being better than the AD2K. The reviews I linked to provide more info on my opinion of the HD800 and LCD-2 in comparison - see the HD800 vs T1 review and the LCD-2 multi-way review. Both of those reviews have Notes files appended too which I recommend reading. It would probably be more helpful if you said what it is about the AD2K that doesn't blow you away. You mention listening to similar music but didn't say which genres. If the forward-moving insistent sound of the AD2K doesn't grab you and you'd prefer something more passive, the LCD-2 and HD800 could be better for you.

The only single amp I know of that'd drive the AD2K, LCD-2, and HD800 equally effectively is a B22.

Quote:
Very nice and honest re-review ASR

Wondering your thought if perhaps you ever tried the AD1000PRM to compare to your most favourite headphone :)

Never tried the AD1000RPM, not really interested either since I already have headphones that I really like.
smile.gif

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #25 of 40

Quote:
Bought the Ad2000 and am absolutely in love after 45 minutes.

Don't forget to try them with gaming ASAP. They reminded me of the SA3000 for gaming a little...
Hopefully the drivers don't touch yours ears. That annoyed the heck out of me. Always wondered if the W1000X pads would fit to fix the problem.

Hopefully they fixed this issue with the W1000X. I always wanted to try that headphone out.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #26 of 40
Really looking to purchase these to add to my collection, how good is the synergy between the HA5000 and AD2000? Thanks!

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:
Really looking to purchase these to add to my collection, how good is the synergy between the HA5000 and AD2000? Thanks!

There have been posts about those before, by people who've heard them together. If you Google "site:head-fi.org ha5000 ad2000" (without the quotes) you'll get some results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back