5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
Jan 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #556 of 633

Quote:
you dont use wasapi? also the "metallic highs" might be to do with your eq settings with ur particular headphones, i dont think i get this with mine.

No, not using wasapi but since I have volume control on my ZO2 amp now I might be able to start using it now in low gain. Anyway if using channel mixer to get a config that sounds more according to your preferences I bet this would sound a whole lot better for you than the settings I posted:

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #557 of 633

Quote:
No, not using wasapi but since I have volume control on my ZO2 amp now I might be able to start using it now in low gain. Anyway if using channel mixer to get a config that sounds more according to your preferences I bet this would sound a whole lot better for you than the settings I posted:

ok ill try it and btw where did u get dolby dll version 1.20.0.276? lol mine is 1.10.0.270

- i just saw now in another forum "I did not notice audible differences between versions 1.10.0270 and 1.20.0.276 of this library (though I did just a very fast comparison)."

I probably wont either.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #558 of 633

Quote:
ok ill try it and btw where did u get dolby dll version 1.20.0.276? lol mine is 1.10.0.270

- i just saw now in another forum "I did not notice audible differences between versions 1.10.0270 and 1.20.0.276 of this library (though I did just a very fast comparison)."

I probably wont either.

I don't remember where I got it but u can grab it in the foobar2000 package I posted previously but yea I doubt you hear any differences, don't think I ever did.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #559 of 633

hm i tried those but i find it isnt as clear and has a slight veil plus it adds some echo like im in a tunnel or something lol

- i think u should do some quick ab comparisons with the settings i gave u and the ones u just gave me and see if u can hear the same as i do.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #560 of 633

Quote:

hm i tried those but i find it isnt as clear and has a slight veil plus it adds some echo like im in a tunnel or something lol

- i think u should do some quick ab comparisons with the settings i gave u and the ones u just gave me and see if u can hear the same as i do.

Well those settings I just posted was based on like 5 min quick testing, I'd say reduce Rear volume from 2.00 to 1.50 and Dolby Headphone amplfication from 113 to 100% and it would already sound more neutral. Weird sideeffects happens when you go overboard on settings. :p

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #562 of 633
I actually enjoy those above settings quite a bit after reducing DH amplification to 100% and (EDIT: Oops my bad not front in rear but the rear "volume") rear volume slider to 1.50. Doesn't sound as forward as my other config obviously but I can still enjoy this kind of sound for classical or my console RPG games music library especially. It just seems the highs sound better for me with channel mixer, seems more accurate to me.

I will probably have to save this config as it's a nice change to listen to every now and then I suppose with a more relaxed sound & airy soundstage.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #563 of 633

Quote:
I actually enjoy those above settings quite a bit after reducing DH amplification to 100% and (EDIT: Oops my bad not front in rear but the rear "volume") rear volume slider to 1.50. Doesn't sound as forward as my other config obviously but I can still enjoy this kind of sound for classical or my console RPG games music library especially. It just seems the highs sound better for me with channel mixer, seems more accurate to me.

I will probably have to save this config as it's a nice change to listen to every now and then I suppose with a more relaxed sound & airy soundstage.

hm, i dont know, i used to find channel mixer more natural when i used to use it, also as it was the first one i used but now i find freesurround to sound more natural and also i prefer freesurround  because of the way you can arrange the place of the instruments and also the separation, its just more configurable in my opinion.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #564 of 633

Quote:

I probably wont either.

Dolby Headphone 1.10.0270 was included in Power DVD 7 and  Power DVD 8,9,10,11 include 1.20.0276.

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #566 of 633
I can't hear  any differences. The files produced with DH 1.1 and 1.2   have the same size so I think that if there is a difference it is very small.  But it's strange because the file size of DH 1.2 is 752 KB and of DH 1.1 656KB.
I thought that I heard a difference when I compared Power DVD  7 with Power DVD 8 a few years ago. Maybe  it is the dynamic Compression that have changed.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #567 of 633
I prefer Isone Surround ( http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isonesurround/ ) over Dolby Headphones (yes it works in foobar with http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=84947 ) using the Home Cinema preset with 50% distance. I use it for movie playback in JRiver too. 

Anyone else? DH has an annoying bass boost IMO and doesn't sound quite as clean as Isone. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #568 of 633

Quote:
I prefer Isone Surround ( http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isonesurround/ ) 

dont like 
confused_face.gif

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #569 of 633

Quote:
Anyone else? DH has an annoying bass boost IMO and doesn't sound quite as clean as Isone. 

Yea as well as treblerange reduction why I use Dolby Headphone + Electri-Q VST to EQ out the modified FR balance.

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #570 of 633
I'm only up to page 13 of this thread, but I find this pretty interesting.

I only got my first 'serious' pair of headphones recently and didn't know about all the enthusiasm for headphone surround sound.  I find this interesting because in the home audio community, listening to music with surround processing seems to be universally frowned upon, although that's how I enjoy it on my 5.1 system.  Sure stereo is purer, but with atmospheric music like shoegaze, ambient, or electronic stuff like IDM, Pro Logic can sound amazing.

Any reason surround for music is embraced by you headphone guys and not home audio audiophiles? 

I've noticed though that surround processing can bring out distortion in files prone to it.  The same way 'Theater 5CH' mode on my receiver exaggerates sibilance on vinyl records to the point of audible distortion, the more processing I add in the channel mixer, the more distortion is revealed in some files. 

Anyway, I've been playing around with this and am enjoying the following settings:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back