4G iPod Wolfson DAC swap
Nov 17, 2009 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fenixdown110

Headphoneus Supremus
Even before I came across head-fi, I fortunately bought a 4G iPod color with the Wolfson dac. I'm wondering if you can remove the DAC and swap it into a working amp dac. Or perhaps it can be used to make an external dac. I know it sounds like a waste of a perfectly good working iPod, but my friend has a broken 4G which I plan to cannibalize.
L3000.gif
Even if the transplant works, I'm guessing the drivers would not work. Just a thought though.

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 4
Yeah, not going to happen. The DAC the iPod uses is not discrete, that is, it is on a chip with several other devices such as DSP and decoding hardware, so I don't think you will have much luck. You can do much better as far as DAC's go as well, as the DAC in the iPod is also designed to draw minimal current; the noise floor goes up a little.

On top of that, DAC's don't generally follow a standard pin out or package, so it won't be a drop in replacement for anything other than the same model of DAC.

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 4
Ok. Good to know. I figured is probably wasn't something easy to do. I guess I might just do the iMod instead then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back