'3D' sound for cheap?
Nov 19, 2005 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Brohken

100+ Head-Fier
OK I know I might get hated on for this thread. I couldn't even really find a place to post it, but perhaps you guys can give me some help.

I am finishing college and just started renting my own studio in downtown Manhattan. It's small, but the rent is pretty cheap!

I'm in the market for 2 things right now.

1. For my personal enjoyment I am going to order some mid-range Grados. I already own the SR60's and I love them so I will look into ordering a better set of Grados with an amp. This decision is set in stone
smily_headphones1.gif

2. This is the part I know many of you won't like. Similiar to the Bose 3.2.1 system I want something for around $300 that can create a surround sound experience from just a 2.1 setup. The Bose is far too expensive for me and like I said I am just a student. This setup is mainly necessary because I have a small place and no room for the 5.1. I also don't want wiring all over the place and don't want to start mounting anything on walls. A simple 2.1 setup for me and a few friends to enjoy a good movie or a ball game. Right now I'm just using my TV's speaker and wanted to upgrade that. I know cheaper 3D systems have to exist since Bose is usually a bit pricier so I was wondering if there's anything in my range or if I should give up the quest right now. REMEMBER this isn't for audiophile sound, just something fairly decent that can SOMEWHAT give me surround sound.

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
You can get a home theater in a box for around $300 that will give you surround sound. Personally any '3D Sound' thing sounds like a gimmick to me. Also HTIB systems typically have tiny sattelite speakers and really thin wiring so you can hide it easily.

--Illah

nah man I specifically said I can't use a 5.1 system because I can't hide any wires at all. There's no where I can run the rear 2 speaker wires to where you wouldnt see them.

The 3D sound works pretty well all things considering. I won't even try to pretend that it's as good as a 5.1, but it's the best I can do. Anyone else have any idea's or products in mind?

Nov 20, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
You can get a home theater in a box for around $300 that will give you surround sound. Personally any '3D Sound' thing sounds like a gimmick to me. Also HTIB systems typically have tiny sattelite speakers and really thin wiring so you can hide it easily.

--Illah

However! assuming i was gonna do a HTiB for $300 what would your choice be? where can i get some reviews?

Nov 20, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 15
Most such virtualisers suck but maybe the best out there would be the SRS TrueSurround.I have this on my satellite receiver and it is not too shabby all things considered

Nov 20, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 15
In my experience 5.1 from 2.1 is largely a dream... But technologies like SRS can at least provide you with a wider almost 3 front channel experience. It isn't perfect (personally I prefer regular stereo to faked surround) but it appeals to some.

SRS used to sell a 3D processor as a seperate add on to an existent 2.1 system. (i.e. something you pass the signal through). Don't know if they still do.

Anyway, here is a link to their licensed products page:http://www.srslabs.com/productswithsrs1600.asp That should get you started.

Nov 20, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 15
I've got the 'fake surround' built into both my TV set and DVD player, surprised you (original poster) haven't run into something purely by chance... they're very common.

Nov 20, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 15
FWIW, the fake-surround mode in the $30 Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB sound card works surprisingly well with headphones. I don't think it works with speakers, though.

Nov 20, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 15
A little more than your $300, these Logitech 5.1s (computer speakers) are a new model and have "wireless" rear surround speakers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121133

I put wireless in quotes because the speakers obviously still need power. I'm not sure if each has a power cord or what, but it would at least be a few less wires to run since they get the actual signal wirelessly. Probably not the best 5.1 solution in that price range, but might be worth looking at.

Nov 20, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #11 of 15
Brohken: Is your computer reasonably quiet and/or running all the time anyway? Then I'd recommend to use that computer as source - combined with some better version (= not the usual oem versions that come bundled with graphics cards et cetera) of PowerDVD or WinDVD, as these come with quite a lot of virtual surround stuff (Dolby, SRS...) for both speakers and headphones.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 20, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 15
I run my rear surround wires all the way around my living room wall. You CAN see them, but most people don't notice. A couple of cables running along the bottom of a wall really aren't very noticeable at all. If you want to get fancy you could get a little cable run to hide them under, but the low tech solution works fine.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

I run my rear surround wires all the way around my living room wall. You CAN see them, but most people don't notice.

If ugly wires are the only problem there are sooo many options out there to make them acceptable in the typical "non permanant" installation which back in the day I did many of for folks who rented a house instead of owning so any modifications needed to be reversable unlike the "fixed" instalation which involves drilling
very_evil_smiley.gif
:

1-18 AWG clear wire,very low profile and will tuck nicely under the baseboard/carpet junction while not looking too blatant going around doors and windown if present
2-Flat speaker wire meant to go under rugs and such without leaving a bump and will also tack nicely to the baseboards and the tops of doors/windows
3-paintable wire so you can match wall coloring

Nov 22, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 15
guys after measuring and pondering I came to the conclusion that 5.1 simply wont work. I don't want to run the sound out of my computer because I don't want my computer to HAVE to be on just so i can get sound out of my TV.

I have an idea... a friend of mine on forums.clubrsx.com (my car forum) told me that alot of recievers offer a virtual surround sound option for just 2 speakers.... so I was thinking what if I just built it this way and bought seperate components?

For my low budget can I get a decent:

Reciever w/ DVD player (if possible) that supports 2.1 virtual sound

2 decent speakers

1 nice sub (~150w RMS)

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #15 of 15
The Logitechs I linked earlier have sort of a decoder pod so that you can use them with a few sources and no computer if you like. I have the (better, older, cheaper) non-wireless version of those speakers and I'm using digital coax, digital optical, and analog 5.1 inputs at the same time (they're switchable). You can even do 3x2.0 analog in instead of the 5.1 for more inputs.

Anyway, it still may not be right for you but you may wanna look at it. I think it's pretty versatile, the satellites are small, and the rears on those should be "wireless" except for the power cord. 2.0 or 2.1 will be just fine but you're not going to get "real" 3D sound. Though if your source material is going to be stereo (like music) you may be better off with a 2 channel system anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back