3400 rea$on$ to stay away from Head-Fi...
Sep 11, 2007 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

illkemist

100+ Head-Fier
First, I'd like to thank everyone for their input and advice since I joined up last week. I am now the proud owner of a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. I previously owned a pair of SR60s, HD580s and HD595s. I can honestly say that I can hear and appreciate the difference that these cans make. I have also auditioned and returned the HD600s, Beyer 880s and AKG 701s. None of them gave me quite the enjoyment that I have received with the 650s.

And then there's the amps. Within the last month I have tried and returned a Total BitHead and purchased an iBasso D1. So how does one follow that up? By blowing a boatload of cash of course!

On order:

Moodlab Dice DAC
Graham Slee Green Solo
Headamp GS-1
Headroom Max Desktop
Meier Audio Corda Cantate

I'm still mulling over whether to spring for the Diyeden SVDAC05. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to throw one more DAC into the equation.

Right. By my calculations, that's about $3400 worth of sonic potential. This is way more than I ever imagine myself spending, but careful research has led me down a path of decadence. Of course, I probably won't be keeping everything. But I really want to remove all doubts as to whether I've made the right choice for headphone amplification. I'll be sure to include some impressions once I've listened to everything before and after break-in.

And now, the hardest part of everything begins...WAITING!!!
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 19
Wow, that's some serious splurging.
biggrin.gif

Hope you find something you like among all that.

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave-the-rave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try a tube amp, fer cryin' out loud.

In due time...for now, my preference is to stick with solid state amps. I'm a natural born tinkerer, so rolling tubes is bound to put me in the poor house and eat up all of my valuable time. I'm sure that will be my next project.

But since you mentioned it, would you like to recommend anything in the $500-$1000 range? No DACs necessary, but the amp does need 2 inputs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you were gonna spend that much, why not just jump up to a K1000 or maybe a Stax
evil_smiley.gif

Well, I'm not really going to end up eating all of these costs. Something's got to lose out. Returns and sales are the logical conclusion to this particular experiment.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 19
If you can spring for cash, the FS forum is the best value. If so, a SP extreme would fit the bill. If not, an upgraded (v-cap) Woo 6 would be a pretty good bang for the buck. Both are on the high side of your budget. There will be others as well. Type in your price range in the FS amp search thread and see what comes up. Then type that in on the amp search thread for reviews. Tubes aren't that bad unless you go vintage. Average 5-25 a tube.

You would need to order the amp with two inputs or use a splitter and one source at a time.

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, I'd like to thank everyone for their input and advice since I joined up last week. I am now the proud owner of a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. I previously owned a pair of SR60s, HD580s and HD595s. I can honestly say that I can hear and appreciate the difference that these cans make. I have also auditioned and returned the HD600s, Beyer 880s and AKG 701s. None of them gave me quite the enjoyment that I have received with the 650s.

And then there's the amps. Within the last month I have tried and returned a Total BitHead and purchased an iBasso D1. So how does one follow that up? By blowing a boatload of cash of course!

On order:

Moodlab Dice DAC
Graham Slee Green Solo
Headamp GS-1
Headroom Max Desktop

I'm still mulling over whether to spring for the Diyeden SVDAC05. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to throw one more DAC into the equation.

Right. By my calculations, that's about $3400 worth of sonic potential. This is way more than I ever imagine myself spending, but careful research has led me down a path of decadence. Of course, I probably won't be keeping everything. But I really want to remove all doubts as to whether I've made the right choice for headphone amplification. I'll be sure to include some impressions once I've listened to everything before and after break-in.

And now, the hardest part of everything begins...WAITING!!!
frown.gif

Should of got the Apache with that loot.. Would have prevented upgraditis for a long time..

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 19
At first, I only comes to this forum for getting opinions & suggestions...
just for a headphone.

Now?
I got 5 headphones, 2 amp, and awaiting for some ICs
and I still want more stuff...

This forum is the source of cancer!

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should of got the Apache with that loot.. Would have prevented upgraditis for a long time..

Baby steps, friend. Baby steps. I'm only at the point where I want to find out the difference between a $200 amp and a $500-1000 amp. This is really an exploratory exercise. If successful, then I'll take the next step. Maybe...

evil_smiley.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 19
I could think of 3400 rea$on$ of going to a $trip CLUB

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 19
You should have just purchased Koss KSC75's , a Corda lll, and your favorite player with a LineOut and ran far far away!!! Muaahahahahahaaaa!!!! $$$

OWNED BY HEAD-FI !!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On order:

Graham Slee Green Solo
Headamp GS-1
Headroom Max Desktop

those are some real nice amps. you'll have to remember to write some impressions. i'm sure a lot of people would be interested in reading them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back