325i's:Is it hype or balls????
Mar 9, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #46 of 101
can't comment if it is better than the ps-1 soundstage as I haven't listened to my PS-1's yet. Tough call on the 325i against the Rs-1 soundstage as I feel it's slightly different. The Rs-1 has a wider sound stage but the 325i soundstage has the central performer and two other performers to either side of you. I don't know if I described it well. Maybe someone else would like to comment

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #48 of 101
This is a very interesting review. Reluctantly, I am considering offering my SR-225 headphones for sale to purchase the new iteration of SR-325 headphones. Do you feel the increased performance is significant enough to justify the up grade?

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #50 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDesign
This is a very interesting review. Reluctantly, I am considering offering my SR-225 headphones for sale to purchase the new iteration of SR-325 headphones. Do you feel the increased performance is significant enough to justify the up grade?

I have the 225. I think the soundstaging aspect, better bass response and beautiful midrange of the 325i is worth it. But please see if you can audition a pair.

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #51 of 101
I remember an episode where Cartman kept saying "balls" as though it were a good thing ("That's totally balls, Kyle."). Shockingly, it didn't catch on with others. More shockingly, it seems to have caught on in real life! Or is the origin from somewhere else?

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #52 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
can't comment if it is better than the ps-1 soundstage as I haven't listened to my PS-1's yet. Tough call on the 325i against the Rs-1 soundstage as I feel it's slightly different. The Rs-1 has a wider sound stage but the 325i soundstage has the central performer and two other performers to either side of you. I don't know if I described it well. Maybe someone else would like to comment

I agree with the 325i soundstage comment. With grados in general, they are incredibly accurate in terms of soundstage, in which i mean there is nothing artificial about it, you hear exactly how the performers in the studio were miked, thats why grados sound so upfront and engaging, there is nothing about the soundstage that is artificial, you are in the studio.

The 325i tweaks this aspect and makes it much more natural, more alive, especially in the midrange, where the majority of our music lies. I have praised the 325i over and over again with voices, especially with female voices, and the reason why is because it places the center channel, which is usually the solo voice, pretty upfront, and the rest of the instruments are more or less to the side, which gives the cans a very realistic performance. Not only is that center channel tweaked up a little more upfront, it seems to sound more natural, there is a tint of warmth in there as well when i compared voices to the ms-2, which sound cold and analytical in comparison.

The imaging is wonderful with the 325i's, it is like goredwings said, the solo is right upfront and center, and seems to call you and entice you forward, but the complementing performers seem to play outside of the cans, i can actually hear images project past the cans themselves, it seems like images project as far as 6 inches outside of the headstage, whereas the ms-2 the sound is pretty much contained from left channel to right channel

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #53 of 101
I think Grado's take on soundstagin with the 325i's are really good. At a pinch I prefer it over the rs-1's soundstage. While not strictly hi fi, it places me where I like it upfront with two performers either side of me with about the same distance between me and the central performer. Psuedo surround????? Might not be to everyones liking though.

Mar 9, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #54 of 101
all the signs are saying RS-1.
The RS-1 is appearing in my mind all the time.

Make it stop, Make it stop!

or on the other hand.

Give me one
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #55 of 101
Quote:

I got to admit the 325i is quite a balanced listen. I have been using them continously seeming I have sent the Rs-1's to Ryan. Obviously any bad recording will really come out bad using Grado's but it can't be helped. The 325i is no different. I like how the 325i's have really good instrument seperation when using flats. When I use flats on my RS-1's the detail and instrument seperation gets sacrificed for more bass impact. That's why I use reverse bowls on the RS-1's. Not many people prefer reverse bowls hardly any in fact.

When I had the rs-1/ra-1 combo I liked the sound with bowls, I loved it with reversed bowls and I *never* thought I needed less treble and more bass that the flat pads would give. In fact sometimes there was slightly too much bass.
Edit: I'm hoping to get an old ms-2 or a fatboy soon.

Mar 10, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #56 of 101
I have got some different interconnects in a trade with another headfier. I swapped the Nordost cables out my system and replaced them to see what they were like. These cables are a departure from what I usually listen to. They tame the highs and focus more on the midrange. So on badly recorded albums the 325i's don't come across as bright. Yet they still sing on good recorded albums.

Mar 10, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #57 of 101
Quote:

Tough call on the 325i against the Rs-1 soundstage as I feel it's slightly different. The Rs-1 has a wider sound stage but the 325i soundstage has the central performer and two other performers to either side of you. I don't know if I described it well. Maybe someone else would like to comment

From this post and your review it sounds like the 325i has nice instrument separation and imaging while the RS1 has a spaciously larger soundstage. For me the RS1's soundstage was too small... but I did have a lot of fun with aerius' SR225 a while back so I might have to get some grados [the MS2i's sound interesting] with some headphile Alpha-Port C-Pads to help circumvent that flaw.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
I agree with the 325i soundstage comment. With grados in general, they are incredibly accurate in terms of soundstage, in which i mean there is nothing artificial about it, you hear exactly how the performers in the studio were miked, thats why grados sound so upfront and engaging, there is nothing about the soundstage that is artificial, you are in the studio.

That is a positive way of looking at it... bravo!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #58 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
all the signs are saying RS-1.
The RS-1 is appearing in my mind all the time.

Make it stop, Make it stop!

or on the other hand.

Give me one
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe I can help?
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

IMG_1015.jpg

....and they're brand new, too! Even got that new can smell!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #59 of 101
Someone needs to take that camera away from you. I mean come on torturing fellow head-fiers. That just mean. lol
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back