300B on TV
Aug 27, 2023 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

roadcykler

1000+ Head-Fier
I was watching a re-run of Becker the other day and he went to the local electronics store to maybe buy a new TV or get his repaired since it died. When he met the salesman, he showed him a tube (to indicate how old his TV was, apparently), and it looked an awful lot like a 300B. I have no idea if those were ever used in televisions, but I kind of doubt it.

My guess is they used it because of it's size.

Jan 20, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 3
I could be wrong but I don’t think the 300B was used in TV. There are some tubes that do look similar like some of the old rectifier tubes.

If you’re interested in historical gear, there’s YouTube channels of guys repairing old TVs and old radios with tubes. Usually a common repair is replacing the capacitors. But I think the most popular YouTube channels are the ones dealing with repairing guitar tube amps from the 50s, 60s and 70s. There are guitar players that use these old amps. So if you’re listening to a modern guitar recording, it’s definitely possible that the amp is from the 50s or 60s.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 3
So not quite the same, but I was at Disneyland in line for the Jungle Cruise with my family. There is a section of the line where there is a display of some tubes on a chessboard. I was quite excited to identify some 12au7 tubes. My family thought I was weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back