$3000 budget on a portable rig !!!
Sep 20, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #76 of 124

Quote:
For portable use, you are going to use a nano + JH-3A + JH16?

I think more like this right now for 16/44 material:

• portable rig:  WhipMOD+Fat Boy WhipLOD+Pico Slim+TWagged JH13 Pros
  • ultraportable rig:  16GB iPod Nano (new gen)+Fat Boy WhipLOD w./o BG caps+TWagged JH16 Pros

The JH-3A will be a transportable rig thru the M2Tech HiFace coax from the iPad or MacBook.  I do not plan to use it on the go, but it would be ideal for travel, like in an airplane, etc.  At least that's my current thinking.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #81 of 124

Quote:
I think more like this right now for 16/44 material:

• portable rig:  WhipMOD+Fat Boy WhipLOD+Pico Slim+TWagged JH13 Pros
  • ultraportable rig:  16GB iPod Nano (new gen)+Fat Boy WhipLOD w./o BG caps+TWagged JH16 Pros

The JH-3A will be a transportable rig thru the M2Tech HiFace coax from the iPad or MacBook.  I do not plan to use it on the go, but it would be ideal for travel, like in an airplane, etc.  At least that's my current thinking.

In your ultraportable rig, what amp are you connecting the Nano to? From my understanding, you connect an LOD to an amp, not the headphones. Please correct me if I am wrong...

Sep 21, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #82 of 124

Quote:
In your ultraportable rig, what amp are you connecting the Nano to? From my understanding, you connect an LOD to an amp, not the headphones. Please correct me if I am wrong...

Ha!  Sorry, I meant to insert RSA Shadow there.  My bad!  So #2 would look like this:

ultraportable rig:  16GB iPod Nano (6 gen)+Fat Boy WhipLOD w./o BG caps+RSA Shadow+TWagged JH16 Pros

Sep 21, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #84 of 124

Quote:
warp08 I'm so going to get your rig LMAO. but I prefer the headstage arrow 2 then the pico slim XD.  question which do you prefer the jh13 or jh16 ?

With the WhipMOD/WhipLOD (Fat Boy) rig, the TWagged JH16 Pro is just too much, after about 250 hours of burn-in.  The bass becomes just too powerful and balance is lost.  This is not the case with lesser LODs, but the Fat Boy is a much thicker pipe.  Take a look at the photos in my WhipMod/LOD review and you'll see what I'm talking about.

So, as recently as last week, I have switched back to the JH13s on that rig and the JH16s are used with the HifiMAN HM-801 and the 6G Nano, whereas that +6dB midbass hump is much welcomed.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #86 of 124
and I hear jh16 can sound better at times. if I'm mainly going to be using the nano>headstage arrow> rig with the jh1* pros ? you'd still suggest jh13pro's warp08 which are the fat boy's the reference lod or the normal one ?

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #87 of 124
unfortunately, I'm not qualified to give you advice on this because I have never owned or auditioned the Arrow.  My guess based on virtually all other amps I have tried that you'd be happier with the JH16s if you're using the standard WhipLOD for most genres, or at least the bass thump would never become overly intrusive.  This is a new phenomenon for me, as the Fat Boy LOD had achieved close to full maturity (burn-in).  Until this point, the JH16s mid-bass hump was most pleasant, natural and welcome in this configuration.  

I have never read anything about the Arrow having a colored sound sig, that's why I even go this far.  Normally I wouldn't ever comment on equipment I haven't heard/owned.

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #88 of 124
warp08 I am officially confused and have questioned my decision making abilities *can't decide on anything anymore...lmao" so why the 13pro's and not the 16's. so basically if I'm looking to upgrade the my IEM's get the 13's if I'm ok sticking with a standard lod/stock cables go with jh16's gotcha XD.

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #89 of 124
dude, you are nuts and it's a funny thread..basically how I read that was; if you are getting a JH product now (NOT the JH3A) but a single IEM for use *today*, he was suggesting you first get the JH13. THEN when you get the JH3A, you pair it with the 16's. So you would have two pairs, one JH13 for use now, and one JH3A-16 for use then....in a dream world, that would maybe be my set-up..

Sep 21, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #90 of 124
Very interesting. I knew someone did something similar before. He spent about 720,000 yen(around 9000USD$) with a portable rig(tube system). However, he build it all by himself. The whole system basically store at the at backpack with roundly 11kg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back