$3000 budget on a portable rig !!!
Sep 12, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #31 of 124

what is the battery life of the viliv s5 when just playing music ?  I see it has 6 hours of video play not sure if it still plays music when its on standby >_<. 
Quote:
Honestly speaking, $1000 will get you an awesome portable rig (ex. Westone ES5 + Sansa Clp+). But if you want to go all the way, get the JH-3A. For an on-the-go, you have two good source options:

Option 1: iPod + AlgoRhythm Solo. You have already heard of this option. The only problem is it is big, expensive, and doesn't have the best battery life (~20 hours). Please correct me if I am wrong, but the AlgoRhythm Solo hasn't been released yet.

Option 2: Viliv S5. This is basically a 5 in. tablet PC. It can run Windows 7 or XP. It can do almost everything a tablet can, but is still on the small side. It is expensive, depending on the memory configuration it can go from ~$500 - $1200. It even has a USB port for a USB flash-drive or external hard drive. Because it has USB, you can get a digital signal straight from the Viliv S5.

In my opinion, the Viliv S5 + JH-3A would be pretty much the best portable rig available. If that money is well spent for you, than go for it!

PS: I have said it before, and I will repeat it now, when sending a digital signal from a DAP, all the SQ-changing components in the DAP are bypassed. So all players with digital out will sound identical. BTW, the Hifiman HM-801 and HM-602 do not have digital out, they have digital in.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #32 of 124
I was looking at the Viliv s5 with the 32gig ssd and I was wondering if it had the pci-e already soldered so I just have to buy the modem that would be awesome :). 650+buy a bigger ssd and a 3g modem will come out alot cheaper then getting the 1300 model with only 128gig ssd. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #34 of 124

Quote:
The Viliv s5 uses an Atom processor.  It's like a netbook but with a touchscreen instead of a keyboard.  To get good audio you'll need a USB DAC.

The OP is considering the JH-3A which includes a DAC.'

BTW, no idea on battery life. Try asking dfkt, he wrote a review on the S5 (over at anythingbutipod.com).

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #35 of 124
Okay bear with me here.  Get yourself a shopping cart, it doesn't matter how.  Buy a couple of the really nice golf cart batteries and a solar panel.  Speakers are your choice just make sure they are big enough that a normal sized person has trouble lifting them and that they cost at least $1500 combined.  Get a car audio amplifier and a nice car stereo receiver.  You might want to consider rigging up a trailer hitch on a bicycle to pull the cart(if you really want to compliment the solar panel rig up some kind of alternator to the bike and be sure to keep the rpm's up or the alternator won't engage).  As for the color of spray paint to use on the rig, I leave that up to you.

Really though: 64GB Touch($400) + ALO Interconnect($200) + Headstage Arrow($250) +JH16($1150)=$2000 and I saved you a grand.

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #36 of 124
have you heard the jha-ra ? besides depending on the source *anything bestbuy sells* I can get free or a reduced cost. plus TBH I don't ever want to deal with itunes and I should be getting the 2nd gen arrow this week I'll be testing them with my es10/re0/1 and dt880 XD lmao.

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #38 of 124

Quote:
Honestly speaking, $1000 will get you an awesome portable rig (ex. Westone ES5 + Sansa Clp+). But if you want to go all the way, get the JH-3A. For an on-the-go, you have two good source options:

Option 1: iPod + AlgoRhythm Solo. You have already heard of this option. The only problem is it is big, expensive, and doesn't have the best battery life (~20 hours). Please correct me if I am wrong, but the AlgoRhythm Solo hasn't been released yet.

Option 2: Viliv S5. This is basically a 5 in. tablet PC. It can run Windows 7 or XP. It can do almost everything a tablet can, but is still on the small side. It is expensive, depending on the memory configuration it can go from ~$500 - $1200. It even has a USB port for a USB flash-drive or external hard drive. Because it has USB, you can get a digital signal straight from the Viliv S5.

In my opinion, the Viliv S5 + JH-3A would be pretty much the best portable rig available. If that money is well spent for you, than go for it!

PS: I have said it before, and I will repeat it now, when sending a digital signal from a DAP, all the SQ-changing components in the DAP are bypassed. So all players with digital out will sound identical. BTW, the Hifiman HM-801 and HM-602 do not have digital out, they have digital in.

The 'player' is still in the DAP and they sound extremely different. It's like saying rockbox and the standard clip firmware sound exactly the same since the only difference between them is before the dig stream sees the dac and output amp. They most obviously don't. You're very mistaken about this. Squezebox dig out sounds dif from sonos dig out sounds different than tos out from your PC. Same thing.

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #39 of 124
If I had 3K to spend, it'd be going straight into my Gemma Arterton sex robot research fund. Listening to music will be confined to periods in my hospital bed while I'm in traction.

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #40 of 124
omg I am unsure now Only Thing I am definitely buying is the jh3a other than that I dont know what source to team it up with for portable use, with the best SQ. >_< I wonder since that viliv s5 has no moving parts it should be a very good *with SSD hard drive*digital out capable pmp.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #41 of 124

Quote:
The 'player' is still in the DAP and they sound extremely different. It's like saying rockbox and the standard clip firmware sound exactly the same since the only difference between them is before the dig stream sees the dac and output amp. They most obviously don't. You're very mistaken about this. Squezebox dig out sounds dif from sonos dig out sounds different than tos out from your PC. Same thing.

Please correct me if I am wrong. From my understanding, the first thing in a signal path (after the hard/flash drive) is the DAC. So if you output the digital, you are outputting the exact same file. Then the external DAC decodes and so forth. How big is the difference? Could it be cables? BTW,Rockbox and Stock OS sound the same (AFAIK). The additional sound enhancements are what makes Rockbox sound better. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #43 of 124

Quote:
Please correct me if I am wrong. From my understanding, the first thing in a signal path (after the hard/flash drive) is the DAC. So if you output the digital, you are outputting the exact same file. Then the external DAC decodes and so forth. How big is the difference? Could it be cables? BTW,Rockbox and Stock OS sound the same (AFAIK). The additional sound enhancements are what makes Rockbox sound better. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

You're wrong.
bigsmile_face.gif
The files are stored as packets that need to be reconstructed by the player into a stream with clock attached before being sent to the DAC. Some DAPs will have more noise in the stream etc. and for some reason can sound different tonally while not introducing EQ. Dither, buffers, bandwidth can all have a noticeable effect. You can hear the difference in digital cables let alone active devices like players so the idea that bits are bits is just wrong think when streaming. They are so in storage but they can be easily effected when streamed. I understand the desire to have digital be perfect all the time but it's anything but. This is an all too common attitude that harps back to the early CD days of 'perfect sound forever' and those players were basically unlistenable. This will sound odd but on a good system wit .wav, you can hear the difference in dig drives and it probably has to do with how well the player works with the controller, drive, and buffer timings. This obviously still involves the player but is pointing at a difference involving the drive itself. A single music file could be stored all over a drive and needs to be collated on it's way out. It's not just turning on a tap.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #44 of 124

Quote:
You're wrong.
bigsmile_face.gif
The files are stored as packets that need to be reconstructed by the player into a stream with clock attached before being sent to the DAC. Some DAPs will have more noise in the stream etc. and for some reason can sound different tonally while not introducing EQ. Dither, buffers, bandwidth can all have a noticeable effect. You can hear the difference in digital cables let alone active devices like players so the idea that bits are bits is just wrong think when streaming. They are so in storage but they can be easily effected when streamed. I understand the desire to have digital be perfect all the time but it's anything but. This is an all too common attitude that harps back to the early CD days of 'perfect sound forever' and those players were basically unlistenable. This will sound odd but on a good system wit .wav, you can hear the difference in dig drives and it probably has to do with how well the player works with the controller, drive, and buffer timings. This obviously still involves the player but is pointing at a difference involving the drive itself. A single music file could be stored all over a drive and needs to be collated on it's way out. It's not just turning on a tap.

Interesting. Short of actually trying a device, how can you tell if the device has a good digital out. Most devices don't advertise a bit-perfect digital out, and they also don't advertise the "controller, driver, buffer timings". Also, how significant can the difference be (in your opinion of course)? Thanks for all your help!

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #45 of 124
It's not a matter of bit perfect as most are. They still sound different and you need to listen. I was just today comparing my favored for PC Media Monkey to the latest J.River Media Center with memory play via  ASIO through a firewire TC Konnekt and wav files. Memory play made J River less ringy and to have better timing yet it's the same bits whether detoured through ram or not. This was through a DAC with the best jitter rejection input I've experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back