$300 or less suggestions (closed back)
Oct 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Arsis

100+ Head-Fier
Returning Grado SR325is to amazon. Nice detail. Soooo uncomfortable! Switching to closed back. Considering AKG K55 and Sony mdr-1r Thoughts? For home use only with Fiio E10 amp. See my signature for my current line-up.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 7
Grado comfort does improve once the foam softens up (many people use a little hand soap and wash them gently to speed along that process). But yeah. Not generally the most comfortable choice for wearing for long periods.

Might help to describe what kind of sound signature you are looking for in relation to the SR325i and your HD598s.

Also, you say you want closed back but the Grados you tried are open back. Any reason for the switch (so we can better understand what you are looking for)?

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 7
The Grados were a gift from my brother (so $300 is a hard limit). As for open-backs, I'm very happy with my HD598s so I'm looking to raise the bar of detail with my closed-back selection. I'm not a basshead per se but I enjoy something with lower extension. I listen to everything. classical to dubstep, 24/96 to vinyl. I'm disabled with Lou Gehrig's and spend a lot of time with headphones so comfort is a prime consideration.

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 7
Might consider the DT880 Pro 250 ohm. Fairly good deep bass response and well known for detail. They also have velour pads (like your Senns). They are semi-open.

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 7
Closed Back:
M100-very bassy
MDR 1r- warm, kind of sennheisery, mid-bass is emphasized, they're drivers are a bit slow
Momentum- Very good at everything, except bass and soundstage.  The bass is the worst on this list (though it's not bad).
ATH WS99- Veeeeeery good bass.  The bass is the best here.  The lower mids are slightly emphasized, the highs are receessed.  They're pretty dark.
Focal Spirit One- Just as dark if not darker than the WS99.  The bass is on the same level as the ws99, it just doesn't have as much impact.  They're very intimate.  The soundstage is small but the imaging id good.  The isolation is the best on this list. Probably the best your going to get outside of noise cancelers.
KEF M500- The best imo on this list.  It's completely flat.  No treble or bass roll off.  The bass is very tight, the mids are crystal clear, the soundstage is the best on this list. It's also the most comfortable.on this list. The vocals are fantastic.
PSB M4U 1- The second best imo on this list.  Great detail and resolution, good bass presence. Great soundstage. Nothing wrong with these

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm gonna give the Momentums a try. I'm sure I'll do a write-up soon.

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm gonna give the Momentums a try. I'm sure I'll do a write-up soon.

Eh the Momentums I looked at them and eventually decided for the M-100. The momentums were $349 ( before Tax) and for $50 dollars less the M-100 I think the soundstage is much better and they are Semi-closed headphone because of the "V-ports"

I also wonder from what I read the M-100 only has around 8-9 DB bass boost which isn't To much bassy no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back