3.5mm to dual rca for headphone amp
Aug 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

renji1337

100+ Head-Fier
I use a 5$ cable, its a 3.5mm to dual rca cord from my soundcard to my schiit magni, do I lose any sound quality by using such a cheap cable from my xonar dx to my amp? my soundcard only has 3.5mm outputs.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:
I use a 5$ cable, its a 3.5mm to dual RCA cord from my sound card to my Schiit Magni, do I lose any sound quality by using such a cheap cable from my Xonar DX to my amp? my sound card only has 3.5mm outputs.

Here is a low cost "Premium" 3.5mm to RCA cable, 3FT, sold at Monoprice.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2

It's great if you order several cables (or other stuff) at a time from Monoprice, as the shipping charge stays the same.

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:
Here is a low cost "Premium" 3.5mm to RCA cable, 3FT, sold at Monoprice.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2

By the way, have you ever cut into one of those "premium" cables?  The inner conductor is as fine as human hair, and the outer shield wrap can't possibly provide more than 50% coverage.  I'm not sure what's premium about them, except the entire cable is thicker, and the connectors are a bit nicer.  Of course, they will all sound equally fantastic, just like the $5 cable you have.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
Blue Jeans make the MSA-1 - that should get you 98% of the way to the best sound. I think my 3 ft cable cost around $30 and here's a quick shot of it...

Wow.  $30 for a 3' cable and you only get to 98%? 

How about 100% of the best sound for under $2?

Seriously, there's nothing a 3' cable can do to impede 2% of the "best sound" at any price, except for one that's broken and impedes 100% of all sound.  

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #7 of 20
That's funny
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
Wow.  $30 for a 3' cable and you only get to 98%? 

How about 100% of the best sound for under $2?

Seriously, there's nothing a 3' cable can do to impede 2% of the "best sound" at any price, except for one that's broken and impedes 100% of all sound.  

Hi jaddie, I always enjoy reading your well informed posts and debates. I was previously of the same opinion that audio cables won't affect the audio quality or sig, however after buying some silver coated copper earphone cables to replace the stock copper ones on my TF10 I have completely changed my opinion about this. The perceived clarity (treble) has increased along with a small reduction in bass.
Although the copper ones are now broken I am 100% sure I could tell which is which if I was able to A/B them. I suspect it is to do with the reduced capacitance of the silver coated cable when combined with a low impedance IEM  possibly similar to how a players Headphone jack output impedance can affect the damping factor and the reason for the 1/8 rule, (ie jack should have an output z 1/8 lower the the headphones z)

Your thoughts?

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Hi jaddie, I always enjoy reading your well informed posts and debates. I was previously of the same opinion that audio cables won't affect the audio quality or sig, however after buying some silver coated copper earphone cables to replace the stock copper ones on my TF10 I have completely changed my opinion about this. The perceived clarity (treble) has increased along with a small reduction in bass.
Although the copper ones are now broken I am 100% sure I could tell which is which if I was able to A/B them. 

If the copper ones are now broken, it's possible that prior to failure you may have had a failing connection that would cause the cable to sound different, but the real key to understanding her would be a test involving an A, a B and an X, however because of the forum we're in, I cannot suggest it.  You're on your own!

I suspect it is to do with the reduced capacitance of the silver coated cable when combined with a low impedance IEM  possibly similar to how a players Headphone jack output impedance can affect the damping factor and the reason for the 1/8 rule, (ie jack should have an output z 1/8 lower the the headphones z)

Your thoughts?

I'm afraid your suspicions are in disagreement with electrical principles.  If you lower the impedance of the load (IEM), cable C becomes even less important.  If you already have a low Z output, it was unimportant to begin with.  Cable C is a problem when it becomes the capacitor of an RC or RLC high-pass filter created by a high output impedance amp (very high, so high it wouldn't work!) and the C of the cable combined with a high Z load.  You have none of that, so it's not cable C you're hearing.  You're also claiming treble improvement and reduced bass, neither of which is an effect of cable C.  

I'm not discounting what you hear, but you'd have a bit of work to do to prove it.  Probably best to just enjoy your new cables, and not try to figure out why.

Silver plating doen't change capacitance, but nobody said it did.  Just in case that should become an "idea" at some point.  

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:
If the copper ones are now broken, it's possible that prior to failure you may have had a failing connection that would cause the cable to sound different, but the real key to understanding her would be a test involving an A, a B and an X, however because of the forum we're in, I cannot suggest it.  You're on your own!

Yeah, I was just very surprised/confused at my findings, perhaps the failure of one side of the cable might explain it but I aint gonna be forking out for another standard UE cable just to A,B,X test... as they are poor quality and don't last long. As you say maybe I shouldn't worry about it and just enjoy them.

Thanks for the explanation...

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #15 of 20
Cables do make a difference. Years ago (for my speaker cable) I upgraded from an Audioquest (AQ) to Evidence Audio. In the latter, everything about the design and the materials was better, so although the AQ sounds fine enough - and in jaddie's case where he's not comparing it against something better - you just stick with your metrics.

I suggested a Blue Jeans cable because they are supplied by Belden who are known as a cable maker for sound applications. That cable should be enough quality and you won't be buying into a "hi-fi" brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back