3.5mm connector buttony thing?
Oct 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Halk

Head-Fier
My Galaxy S came with a fairly reasonable (in context) set of earphones, and they have a button on them which is very handy for pausing/restarting music. They connect to the phone into what appaers to be (it isn't of course) a standard 3.5mm socket. The jack visibly has an extra

I'd like to replace them with something good, I'm looking at IEMs just now. The IEMs would be used on the phone, and also used on my PC.

Do I have any options as to getting IEMs with a button like that on them that'll work on the phone and still work in a normal connection?

Oct 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 19
Sure, there are plenty. Most headset versions of in-ears come with a mic and a one- or three-button remote. Your phone probably only supports a single play/pause button so keep that in mind.  This thread may be of interest to you even though it hasn't been updated in quite some time. Off the top of my head it's missing two good ones - the Meelectronics M11P+ and the Thinksound TS02+mic.

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 19
Be careful. Sammy does not seem to follow the (original) iPhone jack standard. A stereo earphone will work, but an iPhone-compat headset may not work properly. Perhaps because Sammy also uses the headset jack for tv out.

The Verizon flavor may be an exception, but you should try to test one before buying.

And for a PC, I think there are some netbooks using the iPhone-style jack, but otherwise you'll only get the stereo audio out, and no button/mic capability.

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 19
My Thinksound TS02+mic works fine with the Samsung Galaxy S. Haven't tried any of the others as the phone wasn't mine but they all have the same pinout.

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 19
Joker, interesting. Do you know which phone/carrier it was? It's only from my reading on some Galaxy discussions that owners were having issues with trying to use (single-button) iPhone-compat headsets, such as the mic or button not working, or even the earphones not working unless the plug was slightly out, etc.

And looking at the Sammy site, they seem to indicate that the vzw Fascinate may be different from the other three.

Of course maybe they are good, and people just having random issues, but just to point out that it may not be a given that all 3.5mm smartphones are fully compatible.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
Joker, interesting. Do you know which phone/carrier it was? It's only from my reading on some Galaxy discussions that owners were having issues with trying to use (single-button) iPhone-compat headsets, such as the mic or button not working, or even the earphones not working unless the plug was slightly out, etc.

The carrier was verizon but I'm not sure what the phone was exactly. I didn't think there was more than one Galaxy S. Quite the opposite, my gf's Nokia E63 rejects all non-Nokia 3-pin headsets outright - 'enhancement not supported', etc. 

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 19
The Shure/Audio-Technica solutions seem to be the best option. I had hoped someone made something like that but had no idea what to search for.

Now all I need to do is find out which IEMs to buy
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
The carrier was verizon but I'm not sure what the phone was exactly. I didn't think there was more than one Galaxy S. Quite the opposite, my gf's Nokia E63 rejects all non-Nokia 3-pin headsets outright - 'enhancement not supported', etc. 

4 carriers, 4 versions.

As I say, the Fascinate (VZW version) may be different than the others, considering that the stock replacement headset that Samsung sells is only listed as compatible with the other 3 versions. And I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that users found their Galaxy S (no mention of which version) works with Nokia accessories (which apparently means non-Apple).

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 19
I can now confirm the Galaxy S doesn't work with Nokia accessories (at least the one I bought off eBay).

I'm now struggling to find something. I bought Shure SE535s but I don't want to change the cable for the mic/button one since that'll make them not work properly on my PC.

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 19
All newer macs support the stop/start button and volume control on headsets, the earphone treats the computer likes it's connected to an iPhone.

I don't know of any wintel machines that support this though.

Edit: the attached mic on the headset is also recognized as an external mic when plugged into the headphone jack

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 19
Hmm, I wasn't aware of that Mr Toe.

I a Xonar Essence so I'll need to check if it supports buttons etc.

Edit : The manual makes no mention of it, additionally I've just remembered that it's not a 3.5mm jack, it's the larger size and it uses an adaptor.

All that said I don't see a reason why an inline adaptor could not be used to enable the headphones to use the phone cable all the time and still work fine on the PC.

I would still just prefer Shure to sell inline volume controls that have a button on them.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 19
It seems that the standard (old-iPhone-compatible) single button headsets do indeed work fine with the Galaxy S line. And that all (5?) models are wired the same way. Sammy does make some models with the Nokia wiring (mic and gnd reversed), but the SGS are not.

For using with a PC, you'll normally be able to get the audio output only. If you also want the mic functionality, there are adapters that will split the 4-pole plug into separate plugs for mic and stereo audio. I don't think there would be any capacity for button functionality.

And then as kameltoe mentioned, Macs have been wired (for a while actually) for using an iPhone headset.

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #13 of 19
Well, I still feel the simplest solution woiuld be an inline button and since the i9000 is wired so that old inline buttons work then that's what I'll need to see if I can find.

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 19
Nov 9, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #15 of 19
Yes, I've seen similar things for sale on Amazon UK.

Griffon Smartalk seems to be a popular one, but the product ratings would indicate it's not worth buying.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001C0LBEG
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0014AVAPO

There's a "Monster" one as well which gets bad reviews too
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012QS41S

Belkin do one, it gets slightly better reviews, however they're still bad.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002J1SCRQ

Shure make one, it's ten times the price of the other ones, and it still gets bad reviews!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UD205K

But I haven't seen the particular one that you linked, nor can I guarantee that all of the ones I have linked actually work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back