$299- Pre-Authorization to repair IE-800s
Jun 2, 2014 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Student_Driver

Head-Fier
I have a box filled with old IEMs which have given up the ghost. In most cases, one of the ear buds has died and the other is ok or there is an intermittent noise and connection problem with one or both ear buds. In this box are Sure, Etymotic, Monster (Miles Davis, Copper etc) and others. Most recently, I've been using IE 800s as my earbuds of choice. I've not been too kind, but they've never been exposed to water, shock or any obvious antagonistic environments. Out of the blue, one earbud stopped working last week. Normally, there is a period of intermittent or noisy connection before an IEM begins to fail. In this case, it just stopped. Then, two days later, the other failed. No connection at all. Plugging, unplugging and fiddling with the connections does nothing.

So when I go online to the Sennheiser web site, thinking that I need to fix these given the cost, I see a poorly explained web page asking me for $299- upfront credit card authorization to repair the IEMs and another supplemental $50- if I want it done in 2014. Shipping fees extra. 

Has anyone gone through this process with Sennheiser? I'm now not so sure that I want to repair these. If I can't determine why they failed and the likelihood of it happening again without spending $300+$50+shipping+tax ~=$400 then perhaps these aren't worth fixing.

I was going to use the motivation of fixing these to get me to mail in the others for repair but now am thinking that it's pointless.... 

Jun 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 6
Sounds like a cable issue to me man, I would ask someone if you could borrow their IE-800 cable for testing, or buy another one to make sure that's all it is before sending them off to be fixed when the health of the IEMs is actually fine. 

It really just sounds like the ground wires for the 3.5mm connector were detached from the connector so there isn't a current for either headphone now. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 6
  Sounds like a cable issue to me man, I would ask someone if you could borrow their IE-800 cable for testing, or buy another one to make sure that's all it is before sending them off to be fixed when the health of the IEMs is actually fine. 

It really just sounds like the ground wires for the 3.5mm connector were detached from the connector so there isn't a current for either headphone now. 

I don't think it is detachable - unless you have an exacto knife and some tape!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back