250 Ohm Impedance
Jan 17, 2011 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Arc6

100+ Head-Fier
I wasn't sure which forum this goes in.

So I am now looking at a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium (250 Ohm) Headphones. Quality-wise they have what I want, but since they hace such a high-impedance, I don't think I have the equipment to make these bad boys go. I plan to use these mostly with my laptop since all of my audio files are on there, but I don't know what type of out put it has, Inspiron 1545 with an IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. So . . .

1. Will I even be able to hear anything out of these run straight from a computer?

2. If I were to get an amp, how cheap can I get away with? Is an Fiio E5 good enough?

3. Also, will running them from a low-source, like an iPod, damage the headphones?

Thanks,

Arc6

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 25
Answers in bold.

I wasn't sure which forum this goes in.

So I am now looking at a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium (250 Ohm) Headphones. Quality-wise they have what I want, but since they hace such a high-impedance, I don't think I have the equipment to make these bad boys go. I plan to use these mostly with my laptop since all of my audio files are on there, but I don't know what type of out put it has, Inspiron 1545 with an IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. So . . .

1. Will I even be able to hear anything out of these run straight from a computer?
You will be able to hear things just not very loud and not with the same quality as if they were amped.

2. If I were to get an amp, how cheap can I get away with? Is an Fiio E5 good enough?
No a Fiio E5 is not good enough. At least an Fiio E9 or something equivalent. 

3. Also, will running them from a low-source, like an iPod, damage the headphones?
No it will just sound like crap. 

Thanks,

Arc6

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 25
computer no. but if you do really want to go cheap route for high impedance(even 600ohms) look at some vintage stereo receivers and run on your laptop as a source. lot of vintage receivers can be found cheap and have very high output impedance resistors between the speaker's power amp section and headphone out. look up at craigslist for some or local trading posts but make sure to test before buying to make sure everything is running correctly.
these old receivers can last forever if taken care of and will sound absoluty wonderful with speakers and headphones.

if you get lucky can score a nice sansui receiver or kenwood or even yamaha locally. i love sansui and kenwood myself. if you need help on receiver model let me know. can look up the schematics to check what type of resistor is used for left and right channel of the headphone out section. avg vintage stereo receiver has anywhere from 250-680ohm@1/2w-1w resistor for both left and right channels and can power about any headphone on the planet. volume of headphone comes from it's sensitivity of DB at certain mw(miliwat) range. same like speakers volume is determined by DB@1w

that's if you don't mind a big 30-40lb behemoth sitting on your desk or floor(some monster receivers can get up to over 70lbs).

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 25

Quote:

Not that I disagree with you, but why do I need an Fiio E9 or better. Those are able to power up to 600 Ohm cans, but the E5's specifications state "Output Power: 100mW (32ohms Load) 18mW (300ohms Load)." So if that's not all, what else do I need to be looking for in an amp to drive the DT990s?

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 25
it's up to you but i personally think 18mw is not enough driving power for them. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 25
So, I could theoretically hook these up to a home theatre audio-video system, right? Which in turn would have an input from my computer. What type of connection would I need from my computer's headphone jack to the AV unit?

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 25
I think a DAC/amp combo such as the Fiio E7, will probably be a better option for ya instead of luggging around a huge vintage stereo receiver.  "DAC" is short for digital to analog converter.  It converts digital information, such as mp3s, into electrical signals that produce music.  I suggest the E7 because it contains a quality DAC, a pretty decent amp and it's relatively affordable at 100 dollars.  It's not the best option, but It'll be more than adequate to power your 'phones.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 25
yes. can hook them with either hdmi to dvi or vga(if the receiver has vga input) or if only component connectors can use a component to vga for video if you want video but audio all you need is rca to 3.5mm adapter and plug it in one of the inputs. and just switch the selector with whatever source your using.

Quote:
So, I could theoretically hook these up to a home theatre audio-video system, right? Which in turn would have an input from my computer. What type of connection would I need from my computer's headphone jack to the AV unit?

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 25
well it shouldn't be a problem if it's just for home use. if it's portable then i can see what your saying but i think the dt990's are open so there not really an idea headphone for outside use. it was just a suggesting if on a low budget and if it's entirely home use cause when you go vintage you can get one hell of deal for 100 bucks or lower depending on how popular the name was and how much power the amp gives. usually kenwood falls well below the radar when it comes to vintage gear or some rotel,sansui, sony and onkyo. from browsing around here it only seems yamaha gets some attention due to their popular planer magnetic headphones or Marantz due to it being a very popular american company before the 80's when they sold out to the japanese.

Quote:
I think a DAC/amp combo such as the Fiio E7, will probably be a better option for ya instead of luggging around a huge vintage stereo receiver. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 25
Get yourself the 32 Ohm DT770 or DT880.  They are both better models than the DT990, which has a higher model number but is a lowergrade headphone.  If you don't mind not going Beyerdynamic, there is a world of headphone equipment open to you.  If you are staying home and listening to music, my first recommendation would be the Koss DJ100.  They are available at Best Buy for $80, and they don't need an amp. The Denon D2000 are about the same price as the DT990 but easy to drive.  Audio Technica has many headphones that will work in that price range.  Try the ATH-A700 or ATH-AD700

What made you jump straight to the DT990?  That is such an odd, not-very-good first choice.

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 25
The phones you're looking at can handle 100 mW on input power. The Fiio E5 is only going to give it about 20mW, not enough to sufficiently power the DT990, while the E9 gives you 80mW at 600 ohms of resistance. So the E9 might actually be slightly more power than your cans can make use of but the E5 comes nowhere close to being able to drive you phones. 

http://www.headphonesolutions.com/beyerdynamic-dt990premium-headphones.html

Quote:

Not that I disagree with you, but why do I need an Fiio E9 or better. Those are able to power up to 600 Ohm cans, but the E5's specifications state "Output Power: 100mW (32ohms Load) 18mW (300ohms Load)." So if that's not all, what else do I need to be looking for in an amp to drive the DT990s?

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 25
No 'golden ears' here, but...
I have a pair of those 'phones (DT990 250 ohm) .
I like them (better than my Grado 225s); music sounds good through them and they are extremely comfortable to wear.
The headphone out on my desktop computer (PC with Asus motherboard & Realtek sound onboard) can drive them to 'too loud for me' levels.
The laptop may provide less drive, though. I know that laptops used to have a reputation for poor sound, but that may have changed.
That said, I generally use a headphone amp and an external DAC for listening in the computer room, and I've convinced myself that the 990s sound better that way.

More toys=More fun!

John

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #14 of 25
Thanks for all the input. So, if a pair of headphones has an impedance of 32 Ohms, would that be something I could run out of both an amp and iPod?

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. So, if a pair of headphones has an impedance of 32 Ohms, would that be something I could run out of both an amp and iPod?

Yes, but the amp may not be necessary. Most headphones at 32 ohms should be usable with an iPod alone.
E.g.: 32 ohms is the impedance of the TripleFi 10, which is an in-ear. http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/triplefi-10#specifications

Having said that, impedance alone is not enough information to say whether one headphone needs an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back