$250 budget - closed headphones?
Feb 14, 2017 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

m3t4lm4n222

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. 

I am looking for some suggestions on headphones. I have a $250 budget. 

I primarily listen to hip-hop music, as well as hardstyle, EDM, etc. Bass-heavy music. I purchased Fidelio X2's upon suggestion and while I like their build quality and overall design...I am finding it hard to appreciate the sound they produce. I'm actually getting minor headaches listening to music with them on. I'm not sure if it's because of their overall sound-stage, their open back design, or..well..really why I am not enjoying their sound tbh. 

I have a couple other preferences...those being headphones with an auto-adjusting band design (Similar to the design of the 688B, AD700X, Fidelio X2, etc) as well as replaceable/removable cables. 

I've been suggested Meze 99's but they're ever-so-slightly above my budget. Feel free to leave suggestions on headphones that fall below the $250 price point as well.

I appreciate the help!

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 7
I would also suggest the Meze 99's as well. Low priced good sounding closed headphones are not as abundant as open backs at your price range. Not for sure where the pain is coming from as I found the X2's by no means offensive in their sound signature but you hear what you hear that's fine.

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 7
  Hey guys. 

I am looking for some suggestions on headphones. I have a $250 budget. 

I primarily listen to hip-hop music, as well as hardstyle, EDM, etc. Bass-heavy music. I purchased Fidelio X2's upon suggestion and while I like their build quality and overall design...I am finding it hard to appreciate the sound they produce. I'm actually getting minor headaches listening to music with them on. I'm not sure if it's because of their overall sound-stage, their open back design, or..well..really why I am not enjoying their sound tbh. 

I have a couple other preferences...those being headphones with an auto-adjusting band design (Similar to the design of the 688B, AD700X, Fidelio X2, etc) as well as replaceable/removable cables. 

I've been suggested Meze 99's but they're ever-so-slightly above my budget. Feel free to leave suggestions on headphones that fall below the $250 price point as well.

I appreciate the help!

As @buke9 mentioned, there aren't a ton of options. You might check out the NAD HP50, AKG K553 Pro, and the SoundMAGIC HP150. Sonically, my preference for you (other than the MEZE) would be the B&W P7. which would work nicely with your music preferences, but that's out of budget.

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 7
I would also suggest the Meze 99's as well. Low priced good sounding closed headphones are not as abundant as open backs at your price range. Not for sure where the pain is coming from as I found the X2's by no means offensive in their sound signature but you hear what you hear that's fine.

I might have to see if I can get away with stretching my budget. I kind of already stretched them beyond where I wanted to with the Fidelio X2's to begin with.

I'm not quiet sure either to be honest. I've heard nothing but praise about them but something about them isn't doing it for me. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 7
I might have to see if I can get away with stretching my budget. I kind of already stretched them beyond where I wanted to with the Fidelio X2's to begin with.

I'm not quiet sure either to be honest. I've heard nothing but praise about them but something about them isn't doing it for me. 
Hey they are going to be on your head so... Forgot about the NAD HP50's as serman005 mentioned but agree with him would not be my choice for the music you listen to. I can't comment on the others he mentioned as I have not heard them.

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 7
 Originally Posted by Mindcrime1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Have you considered the Sennheiser 598c ? they are cheap on Amazon right now...

How are they? I've heard good things about their open backed version. 

Does anybody know if you can actually feel the bass on the Meze 99's? I'm not looking for anything overwhelming. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back