$250 and ripping my hair out.
Nov 13, 2013 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Smugsie

Previously known as Nec3
I honestly can't decide on a portable set of headphones. I've come to hate IEM's because of the microphonics when I walk around unless I wrap it over my ear, or the earwax that gets built up because of my disturbingly efficient glands that produce earwax. I've also come to not care what people think when I decided to sit on a bench outside with my a900x on my head.

So the result? I'm looking for a $250 portable headphone. This has to include tax and shipping though, since I'm using the other $50 to rent a mailbox.

I've considered

1) SoundMagic HP100's because:
Pros:
a) They look amazing
b) It has a flat response based off the charts
c) Decent isolation
Cons:
Earcups scratch easily

2) Audio Technica ESW9A's because:
Pros:
a) They also look amazing
b) No sound leak
c) Unique wooden sound signature
Cons:
Though it does not leak sound, it does not isolate sound from the environment

I'll be using these to commute and keep my ears warm in the winter (I'm not kidding). I'm also going to be using them for live monitoring once a week, however I commute more often to and from work more often than weekly band practices. I listen to JPopRock, Jpop, Rock, Classical, and basically every genre. I'm not a basshead, I definitely don't need an amp to boost the bass on the AKG Q701's. Although if the headphones are bassy, I definitely prefer hard thumping bass instead of fluid sub bass. Clarity is also a preferred option because due to microphonics and such, my external environment will most likely drown the bass, unless if the headphones are able to isolate sound well enough to maintain it.

I gladly accept suggestions. Though I'd prefer if the impedence rating of the headphones not to be higher than 63 ohms, my sony walkman e474 were able to drive my Q701's at decent volumes and maintain decent sound quality. However it fails to properly drive headphones any higher than that.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 14
  I honestly can't decide on a portable set of headphones. I've come to hate IEM's because of the microphonics when I walk around unless I wrap it over my ear, or the earwax that gets built up because of my disturbingly efficient glands that produce earwax. I've also come to not care what people think when I decided to sit on a bench outside with my a900x on my head.

I personally won't even consider wearing any IEM that doesn't route the cable over the ear.  It's like wearing your seat-belt.  At first it was uncomfortable, but once you get used to it, you never think about it.  I just can't stand an ear-bud or IEM that hangs the cable straight down. It seems like any movement causes the monitor to wan't to dislodge.  Over the ear is much more secure and and as you said reduces microphonics.
   As far as ear wax,  do you Q-tip daily?  Since I've been using IEMs (and not on a daily basis or even weekly sometimes) I make it a point to clean my ears with a Q-tip as soon as I get out of the shower, when the hot water has softened the wax.   I noticed that since I've been doing this I almost never see any wax on the Q-tip, and it takes a long time for enough wax to build up on my Comply tips to the point where it's time to change them and I have never had to use the cleaning tool that came with my IEMs to remove wax from the nozzles in the 3 years I've had them.

I just wanted to offer these points as I am a huge fan of IEMs for portable use.  I know they are not for everyone and if you've decided OTE are for you, good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 14
I really want to pull the trigger on ATH-ESW9's though...
THEY LOOK SO NIICE! But I was turned off as soon as I heard they were mid-range biased headphones.

I listen to

Punk Rock/Rock/Nu-Metal
-Green Day
-Three Days Grace
-Avenged Sevenfold

JPop/JPopRock
-Ho-Kago Tea Time
-ClariS
-GIrls Dead Monster

Rap/Hiphop/modern pop
-Katy Perry
-50 Cent
-Indie artists I've worked with

Acoustic/Orchestra
-Rodrigo y Gabriela
-Indie japanese orchestras

Techno/Vocaloid
-EnV
-Monstercat partnered artists
-Hatsune Miku

I only have 150 songs in my playlist. However I'm focussed on headphones that look good, have a flat response with good extension on both ends with no microphonics and good comfort.... I know I'm asking for too much, but I'm just putting what I listen to here. Thanks for the advice Cswann1 for the advice though. I often q-tip when I know I'll be using my ckm500 iem's. Otherwise I just q-tip after showers.

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 14
Monster Inspiration. Don't get turned off by the brand and not give them a try. I was very surprised. They walk a good line between the realm of fun sound and flat response. Actually they sound a lot like I imagine my MDR-V6s would sound if they were a little more fun.

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 14
Whoa. I'm definitely going to get some SMH's if I wore monster headphones, but dang those look like rectangular k550's. There are apparently non-noise cancelling versions of these that I'll definitely look into!

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 14
The esw9a is fantastic (sounds better than the momentum IMO). Vocals sound wonderful. The build is however... bad.

Id go for the ws99, mdr 1r, or k550.

How bad is the build? I mean if it's plasticky like the A900X, I don't mind. Because I've dropped the a900x, sat on it, and despite the plastic build; it still looks very new.
Oh I forgot to mention I took it out for a stroll at -10 degrees celcius while it was a blizzard outside.

Yes I know, call me careless but the thing is a tank.

Anyways, I don't know if I can find myself a frequency response chart for the WS99... odd... The looks VERY FLAT which is amazing, although I heard it has fitting issues for some.. Hm. Now if only headphones weren't so expensive in canada... heh.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 14
If you like a brighter sound, the akg k545 will provide a better seal than the k550 for bass wth a smaller cup, while keeping the overall k550 sound (not sure about the k551). The cups still go around the ear too, keeping your ears warm. The body is metal (don't know how it will do in the cold) and I am not sure if the earcups and cord are user-replaceable, though.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 14
Wow, if you can verify that the akg k545 have a replaceable cord and earcups, they will complement well with the at ath-a900x. Think about it, ath-a900x for a warmer and homely sound and k545 for a colder and lively on-the-go sound. Just be prepared to buy more music. :)

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 14
  Whoa. I'm definitely going to get some SMH's if I wore monster headphones, but dang those look like rectangular k550's. There are apparently non-noise cancelling versions of these that I'll definitely look into!

From everything I've read the active noise-canceling version lacks some of the soundstage/imaging of the passive model. I wouldn't know, since I have only listened to the passive ones, but I was really taken with them.

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 14
Well... It looks likes I'll have to resort to retail. Online orders are a no-go since my parents are fed up with my constant internet orders.
redface.gif

Yes I do work lol, I hate leeching off their wallets.

So far I have a few places for retail, which is even harder because Ontario, Toronto has barely any places to buy headphones.

There's:

The Headfoneshop
Long & McQuade
Canada Computers
Henry's
Best Buy (Unfortunately only the Sennheiser Momentums are worth buying)

Well anyways I'm currently going through all the websites, I'm going to go through all of them and see where this takes me.
If all goes wrong, and I'm out of choices. I'd have to rent a box from UPS and order a headphone under 200 from amazon/kijiji/craigslist/headfi users.

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 14
So far I have a few places for retail, which is even harder because Ontario, Toronto has barely any places to buy headphones.

There's:

The Headfoneshop
Long & McQuade
Canada Computers
Henry's
Best Buy (Unfortunately only the Sennheiser Momentums are worth buying)
Poor baby...
That many retail stores... You should come on down to Halifax and try to find a store that even sells headphones... (Not counting Best Buy and its twin Futureshop, great if you want Beetz...)
:D

All mine came from B&H, you'll just have to get yourself a prepaid credit card.
:beerchug:

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 14
Poor baby...
That many retail stores... You should come on down to Halifax and try to find a store that even sells headphones... (Not counting Best Buy and its twin Futureshop, great if you want Beetz...)
biggrin.gif

All mine came from B&H, you'll just have to get yourself a prepaid credit card.
beerchug.gif

Ehehehe, well most of them are either on the extremely high end, or extremely low end, or Monster brands.

Like I said, I'd order but I'll have to spend an extra $50 to rent out a box from UPS. I have a debit connected to paypal which is a plus.

Oh boy, I was just about to put my finger on the K167 until I found out they were extremely fragile.

Hmm. I hope the The Headfoneshop does price matching, they still sell the ESW9 at MSRP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back