24V 6GM8 versus 6CG7/6H30 Aikido?
Feb 4, 2008 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

rodentmacbeastie

500+ Head-Fier
Can anyone tell me whether I am going to pay a significant penalty in sound by going with a 24V 6GM8 based Aikido versus a high voltage 6CG7/6H30 Aikido. I am familiar and love the sound of the 6CG7 and 6H30 but I have no idea how the 6GM8 sounds? For me to build the 24V version would be easier, smaller, lighter, cheaper... Actually the 24v version will be better in every way! The only question, and the most important one, will it sound as good or even close? I have emailed John Broske, the designer, about this but no reply. Everyone says he is great at communication but I guess my questions are to simple and mundane.

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 21
I've heard neither, but you might want to consider your decision based on tube availability. The 6GM8 is a vanishing tube. We had discussed it for a Super Millett MAX (Colin hates that name) sometime in the future. Unfortunately, my tube suppliers tell me that that 6GM8's can't be had in quantity anywhere at any price. Most likely, the few that can be found at a few individual dealers are all that's left.

Apr 29, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, my tube suppliers tell me that that 6GM8's can't be had in quantity anywhere at any price. Most likely, the few that can be found at a few individual dealers are all that's left.

Good to know, Tom. These low voltage space charge tubes were a pretty late comer to the tube game, and they were pretty specialized in their use, so it is likely that they were manufactured in smaller quantities than some others. The 6GM8 was sort of a hot tube in audiophile circles a few years back, with designers like Wavelength and Welborne Labs making preamps around it. I'd bet that, sadly, some of the others are going to start drying up before too long, too.

But, in the meantime, check out the 12U7 as low voltage equivalent (sort of) to the 12AU7.

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
High voltage is better in general. Can't comment on the Aikido, though.

Agreed, but that high current fet stage is great for dynamic drivers where wattage is not as important. What would a 6CG7 and 6H30 put out for current? The Aikido 24v hybrid puts out a lot, me thinks 450.

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would a 6CG7 and 6H30 put out for current?

30mA. 40mA if you want to push it.

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 21
If I were you (and was sufficiently experienced to deal with high voltage power supplies), I would go with a high voltage aikido. The 6GM8's are becoming pretty scarce, and if I go based on audio memory I would say the bomb of Renato's I heard is probably at least on par with the 24v version, audio memory being what it is.

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 21
High voltage one sounds great, haven't heard a low voltage one, and the tubes are in good supply.
I am using an HV Aikido with 6CG7/6H30, B+ 200V, regulated DC-heaters and output transformers. Though this is one large amp weighing in at a quarter ton it is the best out of 5 headphone amps that I own...

Resolution of minute details, pace, authority, the feeling of being there...don't want to miss it!

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 21
So that explains your "absence"
wink.gif
, lets see the pics then, no teasing allowed
biggrin.gif
..dB

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

So that explains your "absence" , lets see the pics then, no teasing allowed ..dB

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

dB, I wasn't adsent from the other places...you may have noticed...

And unfortunately you will have to wait some for pictures of my Aikido... I am in the design (styling) phase to get that thing cased up.

Then it will be a teaser
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back