24bit music worth it for Galaxy S3
Aug 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sherrington

New Head-Fier
Pardon my ignorance but I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 which I use to listen to my music while I am out and about, using a Shure SE535 IEM. Most, if not all, of my files are 16bit FLAC, but I have also some 24bit HDtracks files. I struggle to tell the difference between 16 and 24bit files, audibly. I have searched and read quite a lot of the arguments, on your fine forum, concerning the difference between 16 and 24bit, but, my question is, does it also apply to portable players? Some of my 16bit files sound, to my ears, better than the same album of 24bit. Where's the sense in that? I am using Neutron 64bit Music Player at the moment, although I occasionally use Playerpro (poweramp just doesn't hit it for me)

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 9
The most DAPs, Phones can't do justice with the high resolution files until you connect with highend DAC/AMPs in the chain. BTW how is sound quality on Galaxy S III with FLAC files and does Neutron helps lot (just curious)?.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 9
I find the sound quality is superb through my SE535's. Neutron is the best player, very closely followed by Playerpro. The EQ on Neutron is better, although the UI leaves a lot to be desired!! I don't like Poweramp. Also Playerpro doesn't play all 24bit files, where Neutron does, flawlessly.

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 9
I to have the galaxy S3 and Neutron player.  I like the player, but for the life of me i cant figure out how to import a playlist....

I have a playlist sincked to the galaxy through windows media player, but get it to show up in neutron....

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 9
Neutron has a website and a forum, which should answer your question. If not you can always email Dmitry, the guy who programmes it and he will help you. I had an issue where Neutron was crashing when I was scrolling through my album's. I emailed Dmitry who re-wrote the programme and sent me a development app to test!!!

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 9
Take the time to read this article and understand why 24bit doesn't really matter to the music you are listening.

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the link. That made enlightening reading. So basically we are searching for better mastered album's rather than higher bit/sampling rate. Is HDTracks a waste of time then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back