24/96 Playback. Portability?
Jul 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

headfinoob

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I am just curious if anybody has some knowledge regarding the playback of 24/96 files with a portable device.  I figure some DAPs will work just fine, but I wanted to utilize one of the following devices below with my Fiio E17.
Currently, I have:
iPod Video 5.0G /w Rockbox - Resamples to 16/44.1
iPod Classic 7G - Resamples to 16/44.1
HTC Rezound (WM8903) - According to user a.mcdear on XDA, the Rezound is using a software implementation for conversion and isn't using the built-in DAC at all.  With no Voodoo, I don't think I would even want to use the Rezound as a source anyway, even with 24/96 files.
Samsung Charge (WM8994) - This has full Voodoo Sound support, and has the same audio hub, chipset, CPU, GPU, etc. of the Galaxy S.  The WM8994 has 24/96 support, according to the datasheet. 

Neutron Player reports that the file is 96000 and the file plays normally.  Poweramp plays the file without issue.

Does anybody know if Android does any resampling like the Windows Kmixer?  Voodoo Sound seemingly has the DAC-direct feature, so I am highly curious if that works properly for 16/44.1 as well as 24/96 content.  It seems that my only hope for proper, portable 24/96 playback is a Voodoo'ed Galaxy S (Droid Charge in my case.)

**UPDATE**
Supercurio confirmed that the Android audio subsystem resamples all non-16/44.1/stereo content to 16/44.1/stereo.  So my dreams of 24/96kHz are essentially shattered, lol. 
On the bright side, 16/44.1 content, like from CD rips, will play untouched, assuming that no software effects are enabled, such as digital volume attenuation, tone control, EQ, etc. 
**UPDATE**

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/documents/uploads/data_sheets/en/WM8903.pdf
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/documents/uploads/product_briefs/en/WM8994_ProductBrief_2.pdf

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 3
@OP

I think you are forgetting about other players. The iBasso DX100, Altmann Tera Player, HiFiMan HM-801, Colorfly C4, HM-901, and (I think a few other the other hifiman players as well) work. at least that is what I thought. I guess some of them fall into the category of 'kinda odd' devices to carry around, but they are all great in their own right. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
@OP

I think you are forgetting about other players. The iBasso DX100, Altmann Tera Player, HiFiMan HM-801, Colorfly C4, HM-901, and (I think a few other the other hifiman players as well) work. at least that is what I thought. I guess some of them fall into the category of 'kinda odd' devices to carry around, but they are all great in their own right. 

Thanks for pointing those out.  While I agree that those players would probably be great, I should have specified that I don't want to spend more money if I can utilize the devices I already own.  As it stands, it seems that the only option for devices I already own is to use the Samsung Droid Charge /w Voodoo + Fiio E17 (E17 to boost the measly power of the WM8994 HP out.)
I suppose I'm not really sure why I was pointing out the flaws of the other devices I own in regards to 24/96 playback (the Rezound would probably be fine other than that its sound quality isn't that great because of HTC's poor implementation of audio.)

Moving forward, I would find it most interesting whether Voodoo'ed Galaxy S devices will play 24/96 without resampling or degradation of bit-depth or something to that effect.

*EDIT*  I might add that as far as I can tell, 24/96 playback is working properly on the Droid Charge.  I can't tell any noticeable noise or issues with the sound that would indicate that 24/96 content isn't being passed straight to the DAC.

*EDIT2*  SEE OP UPDATE, 24/96 is being resampled to 16/44.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back