2359glenn | studio
May 1, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #11,521 of 39,994
That police uniform looks quite 'casual'. But I guess police visibility is always a good thing, right? 
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #11,524 of 39,994

Can't wait!

SFO > DUB > AMS

There is a 2-hour layover in Dublin (11:30 - 13:30). I wonder if that's enough time to have a few pints of good brew in Ireland? :wink:

Wait: This is not Dublin.

May 1, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #11,525 of 39,994
^  Great pic  ^

May 1, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #11,526 of 39,994
  Hey Glenn, what do you think of using a 6F6G running triode connected as the driver stage?  These tubes have nicer looking plate curves than most real triodes and they don't have a ton of gain.

I have never tried the 6F6G it might be good if it is not noisy and micro phonic.  I tried using a 6V6 for the cathode follower
on the output of my #26 preamp. Sounded good but noisy and micro phonic as hell. tried several tubes they all were no
good for this application even though this stage has no gain. So I switched to a 6BL7 and I only had to use one tube.
I will try to do something with the 6F6 when I have time think I have several of them most metal tubes though.

May 1, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #11,527 of 39,994
  Hi all! I am returning to Amsterdam in August! I can't wait to see my ULTRA-Euro friends, let alone being kept behind bars (or in front of them) by the Dutch Police!

My son is getting married in July when I usually go to Greece. So I won't be going this summer depressing.
I love to go and see Stavros and family. Got to figure out how to get time off work so we can go.
We have to try and meet up in Europe one of these times. 

May 1, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #11,528 of 39,994
Originally Posted by 2359glenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My son is getting married in July when I usually go to Greece. So I won't be going this summer depressing.
I love to go and see Stavros and family. Got to figure out how to get time off work so we can go.

"Go West, Young Man, Go West!"

Congrats on your son's new direction. Can't wait for you to come out to Cali. Maybe even CanJam in L.A... 

May 1, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #11,529 of 39,994

Originally Posted by 2359glenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Go West, Young Man, Go West!"

Congrats on your son's new direction. Can't wait for you to come out to Cali. Maybe even CanJam in L.A... 

Yes it would be great to  see you guys in California

May 2, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #11,531 of 39,994
  After CanJam this year, I can't imagine missing one. I'd love to meet everyone.

CanJam was terrific! We need twice as much time between friends and gear!

May 2, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #11,532 of 39,994
My flight path (the first two minutes) to Honolulu from San Francisco, shot on April 16, 2015. I thought of all of you because I forgot my headphones!

My next trip is to The Netherlands to hook up with Ultra. Ultra-Uber Cool. Video will be forthcoming.

May 3, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #11,533 of 39,994

7119 is a variant of the 5687 if I recall correctly, and there are a couple of other close variants also.  I like the 5687 the most out of that particular family of tubes because it has the lowest gain.  These are tubes from the Apollo space era, much better distortion and overall performance compared to stuff like the 12AX7.  I'm really confused why they are not used in more designs.

Can I assume that you prefer a lower gain because it should result in less noise? The reason I ask is that a BL63/VR102 has a gain of 12, and yet I don't find the noise level to be significantly different than a 6SN7 or a 5687. But of course, there may well be other factors involved.....

May 4, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #11,534 of 39,994

Can I assume that you prefer a lower gain because it should result in less noise? The reason I ask is that a BL63/VR102 has a gain of 12, and yet I don't find the noise level to be significantly different than a 6SN7 or a 5687. But of course, there may well be other factors involved.....

There are other factors, yes, which press the limits of my understanding.  Some tubes are just naturally quieter than others too.  The 6BL7 could make a really nice driver stage in the OTL, properly biased anyway, but I tried 5 of them and every single one was noisy so I gave up.  It and the 6BX7 are both lower gain than a 6SN7 is, the BX particularly so.

May 8, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #11,535 of 39,994
It's been quiet in the Studio so Clayton and I had to go out and eat some pizza!
This week it's Gialina in SF's Glenn Park neighborhood.

We started with martinis at the dive next door.

Margherita Pizza

Wild nettles, pancetta, red onions, mushrooms and provolone

Ahhhhhh......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back