2359glenn | studio
Oct 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #841 of 39,994
Sorry for the confusion Rob, I meant to say Single Ended Triode output not in push pull mode.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #842 of 39,994
Right! Now that makes sense :wink: For headphones I love SET because you don't need much power for headphones. For speakers, it's tough to generate enough power with a SET amp.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #843 of 39,994
I agree 100%.
I think Atma Sphere use this design for speaker amps.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #844 of 39,994
Yup - I love the look of those Atma Sphere SET amps, and their mass of 6AS7G tubes. Would love to hear one someday.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #845 of 39,994
Can you imagine 42 GEC 6AS7 and 12 B65 per channel for the mono blocks?

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #846 of 39,994
My wallet certainly cannot imagine it :wink:

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #847 of 39,994
$9000/unit if you can get them that is!

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #848 of 39,994
Quote:
Sure, Stavros, I understand that, but you can have a SET amp that is also OTL
biggrin.gif

Pretty soon he is going to have a tube amp that is SET and OTL. 
bigsmile_face.gif

To me the timeless debate is OPT vs. OTL.  What I've come to believe, through owning Glenn's OTL, is that a well done OTL design offers superior value for the money.  You have to use the very best transformers and caps (unless you can get away with direct coupling the tube stages) to prevent those parts from smearing the low level detail in the audio signal and that gets awfully expensive (as I'm going to find out in the near future as a mater of fact).

Until I owned this amp I didn't think it was possible for something costing $500 to have this kind of low level resolution, period.  But OTL takes away 99% of your design choices when it comes to which tubes you are going to use, and the major players aren't as linear or free of noise issues as some audio triodes are so some cons come into play as well.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #849 of 39,994
I understand our amp designer has a life. And that there are others standing in line ahead of me, perhaps standing room only. But, I cannot wait to get my French bubbly pouring...French custard spoonin'...hands on a second offering from 2359glenn's studio.
wink.gif
 Even if it means Soup For One.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #850 of 39,994
Earlier this afternoon, the Sylvania 3DG4 dropped. I brought it in from the porch like a newborn kitten - let's get this thing fed! Will see what I have toward two weeks, fifty hours...

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #851 of 39,994
Great designs, OTL or SET, are forever. Companies  like Yoshino and Cary still producing some of their lines for decades, which is the best prove you can have that your product is good, imo. Of course, there are others to, but I cant speak of them, because never owned it, but from what I read up here is that Glenn put all his knowledge, love for music and possible time to make such product to, but without pushing the final user to the limit and I respect that enormously.

Thanks to Stavros for introducing me to this thread. And thank you guys for keeping this thread going.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #852 of 39,994
Quote:
Pretty soon he is going to have a tube amp that is SET and OTL. 
bigsmile_face.gif

To me the timeless debate is OPT vs. OTL.  What I've come to believe, through owning Glenn's OTL, is that a well done OTL design offers superior value for the money.  You have to use the very best transformers and caps (unless you can get away with direct coupling the tube stages) to prevent those parts from smearing the low level detail in the audio signal and that gets awfully expensive (as I'm going to find out in the near future as a mater of fact).

Until I owned this amp I didn't think it was possible for something costing $500 to have this kind of low level resolution, period.  But OTL takes away 99% of your design choices when it comes to which tubes you are going to use, and the major players aren't as linear or free of noise issues as some audio triodes are so some cons come into play as well.

xcalibur, this will be my 4th SET, OTL amp and the best by far.

To me the key for transformer coupled amps is the quality of the transformer.
Materials and workmanship are not the same anymore.

To get a first class transformer is extremely expensive.
Will one get that much of an improvement when it comes to headphone amps?

Quote:
I understand our amp designer has a life. And that there are others standing in line ahead of me, perhaps standing room only. But, I cannot wait to get my French bubbly pouring...French custard spoonin'...hands on a second offering from 2359glenn's studio.
wink.gif

SO be patient, you are not the only one who wants a second amp!

Quote:
Great designs, OTL or SET, are forever. Companies  like Yoshino and Cary still producing some of their lines for decades, which is the best prove you can have that your product is good, imo. Of course, there are others to, but I cant speak of them, because never owned it, but from what I read up here is that Glenn put all his knowledge, love for music and possible time to make such product to, but without pushing the final user to the limit and I respect that enormously.

Thanks to Stavros for introducing me to this thread. And thank you guys for keeping this thread going.

For me Glenn offers the best design, quality and value for money.

Thanks to all following this thread, I have lots to learn.

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #853 of 39,994
Quote:
Quote:
wink.gif

SO be patient, you are not the only one who wants a second amp!

rolleyes.gif

It's autumn now, a season that sees more delicate and mellow green teas; Jazz, inside my listening room. I shall relax and reflect...

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #854 of 39,994
Very nicely put, true SO style!

First impressions form the 3DG4?

Is there a European equivalent?

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #855 of 39,994
Quote:
Very nicely put, true SO style!

First impressions form the 3DG4?

Is there a European equivalent?

I'm now 11 hours in with the Syl 3DG4 and shutting it down for the morning. The tube sounds like it could use some more play-in. Maybe some 40 to 50 hours. Currently, lacking a certain smoothness, refinement and finish to notes. If the GE 3DG4 is any indication, perhaps the tube will come around shortly. Still, if it's going to compete with the USAF-596, it has some ground to cover.

Not sure about a European equivalent. Time to breakout your Goog-fu!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back