2359glenn | studio
Sep 5, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #751 of 39,994
Guilty!

If I remember well you mentioned something about the face plate before?

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #752 of 39,994
I did I did! 
ksc75smile.gif
 But I was just funnin' with Glenn about getting my amp Blacked out. I really am falling in love (deeper) with my vintage 1980 Pioneer SX-D7000. Would have loved to sent that back too, for enhancements. But @ 50 lbs!!! 
rolleyes.gif
 That'd be an extra $200+ round-tripper which could better be spent on caps...

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #753 of 39,994
You are getting your volume pot swapped too right?  That's basically mandatory for running the 5998 full time anyway.  The old pot isn't very accurate.

If I had to do it over again I would have skipped the switch and had the amp wired for 5998 operation only, and asked Glenn if there were any further steps that could have been taken to reduce power supply hum further to compensate for the higher gain.  I can't see any reason to ever use 6AS7G tubes these days, the 5998 is superior in almost every way to my ears.

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #754 of 39,994
Quote:
You are getting your volume pot swapped too right?  That's basically mandatory for running the 5998 full time anyway.  The old pot isn't very accurate.

If I had to do it over again I would have skipped the switch and had the amp wired for 5998 operation only, and asked Glenn if there were any further steps that could have been taken to reduce power supply hum further to compensate for the higher gain.  I can't see any reason to ever use 6AS7G tubes these days, the 5998 is superior in almost every way to my ears.

Yup, we're going "Step" baby! While the amp is in transit, do you think it's a good time and idea to ask Glenn to wire it full-time for the 5998's? No matter what power tubes I roll, the 5998's roll right over the swap and back into their rightful place. 

You brought me along this far, don't leave me now! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #755 of 39,994
I would say if, and only if, there is further improvement in doing so.  I think in my implementation the 5998 still isn't biased optimally, just more so than it was before the mod.  This I'm guessing was the maintain 6AS7G functionality.  Glenn told me it bumps the plate current 20mA.  Technically you can run the 6AS7 with the switch in 5998 mode, this makes the amp behave the way john's does but it runs hotter and most American 6AS7 tubes scream uncle.  I tried this with a pair of RCAs, they started humming 3 seconds after I flipped the switch.  A tap on the glass actually settled it back down and indeed I thought they sounded better this way, more full sounding just like the 5998 does, but the 5998 itself sounds better still.

I never actually asked but I'm guessing Glenn did this for safety sake so a person couldn't accidentally nuke a 6AS7 by having the switch in the wrong position.  Since the extra cathode resistors only change the plate current by 20mA it is technically still safe for a 6AS7 tube in either mode.

Glenn posted in here a few days ago that the ideal bias on the 5998 tube was 125mA which is considerably higher than what he told me my amp is running even with the mod, so maybe there is still room for further improvement.  A PM to the man himself would clear everything up I'm sure. 

One note though, and an important consideration for you in particular:  if that 125mA number is actually true as opposed to 80mA which is what my amp is supposed to be running, then it likely rules out the 596 as a rectifier in the amp post mod.  You would be at 268mA current draw, uncomfortably close to the 275mA max of that tube.

The guru himself will probably chime in and correct any errors in my logic here. 
biggrin.gif
  I don't want to pretend to be an authority when I clearly am not, I'm just re-posting numbers that have been quoted to me in the past.

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #756 of 39,994
I believe you're right. And it would make perfect sense for our designer to make improvements; seek improvements, as we go forward. And the fate of my beloved United Electronics USAF-596 (The Mighty 596)?

Officially down-the-street (finished)!
ph34r.gif

Nothing is forever. Will simply make the 5U8C/3DG4 recs do what they do! 
wink_face.gif
 I've got four USAF-596 and will move to sell two and keep two for display and future implementation. 

After further thought, Glenn might be able to use a '596' for future testing with various amps. If he no longer got it, he gonna get it...will gift him one! 
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #757 of 39,994
Well, don't take my word as gospel on the subject until we know it is right.  I may have misunderstood something along the way.  Plus the rectifier might hold up just fine, it is still within the rating even if just barely.  Better to wait and see.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #758 of 39,994
By not having the 6AS7G option you will not be able to try the MOV 6AS7G tubes which are worth trying.

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #759 of 39,994
This is why Glenn is installing a switch, so that we won't lose the option to run tubes in standard mode. A few times a month, I'll get to hear the Mighty 596 still! Just not in '5998' mode. The Russian 6AS7's are safe in '5998' mode though.

Now, if I could just learn more about the MOV 6AS7G you speak of...
popcorn.gif

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #760 of 39,994
Marconi Osram Valves, such as the MWT, Osram, GEC brown and black base variants with straight or curved bases.

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #761 of 39,994
In audio, looks aren't everything. But I love the way Osram glass looks with the silver metal base! I'm sure now, only sticker shock awaits...gonna look anyway.
rolleyes.gif
 What kinda dough am I lookin' at for a pair?

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #762 of 39,994
Fun! Fun!! Fun!!!

My custom built OTL amp has now been modded. And speeding its way toward the listening room. It's going to be fun revisiting some of my most recent impressions. Wednesday, a new chapter begins!
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back