2359glenn | studio
Aug 12, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #691 of 39,994
Quote:
Quote:
I've seen your vast array of boxes filled with tubes. To see you go through a few in real-time via webcam, would be worthy of my super premium ice-cream or gelato!

It wouldn't be that much fun: me talking to myself and an ecletic array of music in the background.

Also, it wouldn't be starting until now. I just got in from watching for Persied meteors. If it is still dark by you, go outside!!! I saw 17 in the last 45 min.

I'm a little late - 0540 hrs - but will tip outside anyway. Was in-session overnight; just ended due to hunger and thirst. Hope I can see these meteors...
blink.gif
instead of a bunch of cats. Thanks for the tip! Will share my experience with you later. Wish me luck!

Update: I'm late to the party! The sky had already made its transition to blue and getting brighter. Only a matter of moments before the sun breaks through the horizon. I should have logged on a bit earlier.

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #693 of 39,994
Quote:
Howdy!

I've taken some of my free-time (rigghhhtttt...) and sifted through some of the tube hoard. I've found  a handful of the 12SN7s and a ton of the 6CG7s - these are nine-pin miniature? Found a handful of 45s too.

I've a few more boxes to dig through, I can't wait to find out what else I have.

Would love to hear more about your 45s if you are willing, or possibly a photo?  Are you planning to use them for a future project?

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #694 of 39,994
Quote:
Quote:
From what I know only Brimar makes the 13D1. It does sound that the 1633 currently can be found in dark glass may work with the adapter.

If the 1633 are black glass then that is the jackpot.  Basically getting a tube worth over a hundred bucks for $4.

wink.gif

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #695 of 39,994
I guess I'm waiting for sunrise...

Last night, I made a strong effort to retire early - jumped in the sack at midnight! For 30 minutes, I tossed and turned. Tossed some more just to make sure I was really awake and it wasn't a bad dream. Yup, wide awake.

So, to complete the hour I started to count sheep, but that's so 19th Century. Instead, I decided I would count 20th Century tubes in the 21st Century. 
rolleyes.gif
 After that failed, I simply got up. And turned my thoughts to...what if:

I bought another OTL amp from Glenn and had him mono block the pair. I wonder what kind of performance it would get me and what would he advise. A clear improvement over what I have now or better served to get a 2A3/45 offering?
popcorn.gif

On that note, I'd best get back to bed for a power nap!

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #696 of 39,994
I thought that I post a YouTube clip for educational purposes from a vendor showing their method of testing 6SN7 tubes for noise or microphonics. You can get to heard the different kinds of noise that tubes can generate when tapping with a pencil. Find out which 6SN7 type has the lowest noise in general, no big surprise.  This is a 7 min clip. I have some tubes ring when I first connect a headphone in my older tube amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=205__gxWJc8&list=UUIGQDUXm67v44o6E7wXUGkQ&index=4&feature=plcp

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #697 of 39,994
Very cool video.  I wasn't aware you could just pull the tube out of the socket while it is powered on like that.  I'm guessing he was turning the volume down to zero on his output stereo before doing so each time.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #698 of 39,994
Thanks, John, enjoyed the video. Spoke to Brent by phone a few times during 2010-11...very helpful toward my inexperience. Love the scenes in your avatars, by the way!

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #701 of 39,994
Until today - Silent One has sent you a PM: (Subject).
After update - You have a new private message.

No indication from whom, let alone a subject field. 
blink.gif
 If I've got messages from 2359glenn; wotts; john57; Xcalibur255; Clayton SF; rosgr63; grokit; hodgjy or Silent One, I wanna know about it! 
deadhorse.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #702 of 39,994
Received my box of goodies today from Glenn - currently putting the pieces through their paces (voltage quadrupler; 13D1 Brimar; Ken Rad 1633 Smoked & Staggered). For one week, will get them acquainted with the three rectifiers - 5U8C; USAF-596; 3DG4. Then roll in power tubes for further impressions. Will return with initial "out of the box" impressions over/after the weekend. But will have more advanced thoughts prepared by Labor Day weekend (or sooner).

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #703 of 39,994
I just checked my PMs and didn't see one. The PM system may be having a 'moment' as my girlfriend calls it. Weeeeeeiiiirrrrdddd....

On the 45s, I'll get some picture of the tubes when I get home. I'm thinking about a 45 monoblock amp pair. I'd like to try my hand at a point-to-point amp build from scratch. I've got some more studying to do on designs though.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #705 of 39,994
I've build a few amps now, but all were kits. I really want to design the circuit, but I'll probably just see what I find online. More than anything, I want to know why the circuit I choose works like it does. I have some electrical knowledge, but have not gone deep into circuits. I'm not that far on my EE degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back