2359glenn | studio
Apr 26, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #2,641 of 39,994
Quote:
I can't even get in touch with the new owner to get his amp ?

He do was online 4 hours ago. Hope you got in touch with him.

Besides the 300B JJ's, what other other (affordable) ones do you all recommend? (sound can be a bit rolled off in the treble, as long as bass and mids are full bodied, with a good to heavy bass impact)

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #2,642 of 39,994
You might want to try the Svetlana C-Wing.

However there are a lot of quality issues so best to buy from a reputable seller.

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #2,643 of 39,994
Quote:
Can I apply for that job please?
tongue_smile.gif

Testing/checking amps and cookies..........that would be prety close to absolute bliss, woudn't it?
dt880smile.png

That job has already been taken.      It's my job 
And you are right it is bliss

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #2,644 of 39,994
Quote:
Quote:
Can I apply for that job please?
tongue_smile.gif

Testing/checking amps and cookies..........that would be prety close to absolute bliss, woudn't it?
dt880smile.png

I would be careful around the electronics with the drool......
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2,645 of 39,994
Quote:
I ponied up for a Goldpoint for my amp build.  I really wanted to use a Khozmo unit because they have 48 steps but I kept reading reports that they had unreliable wiper contacts.  It seems like a lot of money for a volume control but I still feel it is worth it.

The Valab stepped pot that I had Glenn put in my OTL when it got modded works really well but t heir physical mechanical feel when you turn them is a bit crude.  But the price and performance is good.  Glenn said it measured very well when he tested it and they're 1/8 the price of the Goldpoint.

I would like to use Goldpoint made in the USA but I cant justify the cost and no
difference in sound. $150 for a pot is allot of money. And I have found out it is not necessarily the
most expensive parts that sound best.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #2,646 of 39,994
Quote:

He do was online 4 hours ago. Hope you got in touch with him.

Besides the 300B JJ's, what other other (affordable) ones do you all recommend? (sound can be a bit rolled off in the treble, as long as bass and mids are full bodied, with a good to heavy bass impact)

Yes I got in touch with Groundzero yesterday and will be shipping him the amp on Monday.

For the price I really don't know of better 300Bs I have tried a bunch over the years and most
including the JJ had problems with the filament burning out. The worst were some Fairlie expensive mesh plate
tubes from USA but made in China. They had misaligned grids and that gave them hot spots on the plate.
I got rid of them and bought JJs

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #2,648 of 39,994
I have brought some new production JJ tubes and they can sound very good as compared to NOS tubes but suffer some consistency issues along tubes. I never had much luck in getting good sounding China tubes.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #2,650 of 39,994
Quote:

Design, Research & Development and Production must be separate from QC.

I want the QC/testing part.

Please!!!!!!
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Any suggestions?
Would an apron help?
Eric, please help!

Quote:
I have brought some new production JJ tubes and they can sound very good as compared to NOS tubes but suffer some consistency issues along tubes. I never had much luck in getting good sounding China tubes.

The JJ are not bad but for good sounding 300B's without spending a lot of money I recommend the KR 300B Balloon.

Glenn the so called Chinese Mesh plates are not a real Mesh design but a punched out plate.
I had the genuine Mesh Type AVVT AV300BM SL C37 (Ennemoser) and they sounded fantastic.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #2,651 of 39,994
Quote:
Quote:

Design, Research & Development and Production must be separate from QC.

I want the QC/testing part.

Please!!!!!!
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Any suggestions?
Would an apron help?
Eric, please help!

Quote:

The JJ are not bad but for good sounding 300B's without spending a lot of money I recommend the KR 300B Balloon.

Glenn the so called Chinese Mesh plates are not a real Mesh design but a punched out plate.
I had the genuine Mesh Type AVVT AV300BM SL C37 (Ennemoser) and they sounded fantastic.

I have a solution!

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #2,652 of 39,994
Fantastic, thanks that's exactly what I need!

I might show you my AVVT PX4 Mesh, the logos match with the bib................

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #2,653 of 39,994
Quote:
Fantastic, thanks that's exactly what I need!

I might show you my AVVT PX4 Mesh, the logos match with the bib................

LOL!!

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #2,654 of 39,994
David please rescue me!

I wanted to start an intelligent post about Mesh Pentodes driving Mesh DHT and thanks to Glenn and Eric I ended up talking about bibs and cookies!

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #2,655 of 39,994
Stavros, you are in the wrong folder. This is a discussion of treats. Yes, tubes are treats, but they do not taste well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back