2019 Roon Thread - is it worth it?
Dec 11, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #76 of 166
Thank you for the clarification Ableza. If someone used a player, how would they use it to have access to their local music files?

I saw that Modwright offered upgrades to the CXN which look really interesting.
That's the purpose of a media server like the Nucleus. It hosts the necessary software to send the local music files to the streamer/player for connection to your music system. Roon is one way to accomplish that - I think it's the best way I have tried. So the basic system diagram looks like this (quick sketch):

Basic Music System.jpg

Dec 11, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #77 of 166
The SOtM sMS-200 Neo would be the player and wired to router via an RJ45 and USB out to a DAC?
Yes, exactly like that. I've also used the sMS connected to a wi-fi extender via RJ45 when it was impractical to run cable from my router. Or you could add a wi-fi dongle directly to the sMS for remote operation. There's a list of compatible wi-fi receivers on their website, some very inexpensive.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #79 of 166
I finally get it...I think. The Nucleus (server) and the sMS-200 Neo (player) would be an example of one solution someone could use?

Thank you guys.
Indeed. One of many possible solutions. :)

Dec 11, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #81 of 166
I finally get it...I think. The Nucleus (server) and the sMS-200 Neo (player) would be an example of one solution someone could use?
The sMS also has capability to act as a server by connecting it to a USB hard drive or flash drive, as it has MinimServer within its operating system.

Dec 11, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #83 of 166
That is another piece to the puzzle that escaped me.
There are several devices that can combine these basic functions into one box. If you are looking for an off-the-shelf server/player combo check out what is offered by Small Green Computer in my post #70. I use their software on a server PC I built myself running Roon Core, and a combo of Elac Discovery and Sonore Ultrarendu players for remote music streaming. By the way, all (or at least all the ones I now of) server devices can also function as players, but not all players can function as servers.

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #84 of 166
That is another piece to the puzzle that escaped me.
Yes, it's very confusing because the categories are all blurred, some units are single purpose, others have several functions. Looking at the connectors on the unit helps but is not a complete answer.

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #85 of 166
The basic functionality in the system sketch I provided must always exist, but yes it could in theory all be incorporated in one device, or spread out over multiple ones. System configuration is nearly infinite in its variety.

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #87 of 166
Roon wasn't worth it to me. While the exploration features and support for Audeze EQ is nice, it lacks in local playlist management. Many times it would just show "unknown artist" while the metadata was stored properly and Foobar2000 had no issues reading the metadata from the same file.

Also when used with Tidal it can't add songs to my playlists, so I still have to use the Tidal client for that. So what was the point in adding half-assed Tidal support in the first place?

It is also quite expensive in that it needs a dedicated music server and a costly license of 500 dollars. While it is a lifetime license, you are overpaying for it.

I've also had it fail to reach my music server several times, while there were no local network issues and everything else worked just fine. Yes, I know what I'm doing since I'm a network administrator for a large IT firm.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #88 of 166
Any simple to follow DIY build threads to build an all-in-one device?
DIY approaches are as varied as the designers. Start with a Google search for "diy music server" to see what people are doing. If you can build a PC then you can probably DIY. There are also several off-the-shelf all-in-one devices that can do those functions.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #89 of 166
DIY approaches are as varied as the designers. Start with a Google search for "diy music server" to see what people are doing. If you can build a PC then you can probably DIY. There are also several off-the-shelf all-in-one devices that can do those functions.

On it. Thank you sir!

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #90 of 166
Roon wasn't worth it to me. While the exploration features and support for Audeze EQ is nice, it lacks in local playlist management. Many times it would just show "unknown artist" while the metadata was stored properly and Foobar2000 had no issues reading the metadata from the same file.

Also when used with Tidal it can't add songs to my playlists, so I still have to use the Tidal client for that. So what was the point in adding half-assed Tidal support in the first place?

It is also quite expensive in that it needs a dedicated music server and a costly license of 500 dollars. While it is a lifetime license, you are overpaying for it.

I've also had it fail to reach my music server several times, while there were no local network issues and everything else worked just fine. Yes, I know what I'm doing since I'm a network administrator for a large IT firm.
Roon costs as little as $120 per year, on an annual subscription.

That’s less than the price of a cup of coffee per day. Let’s put the price of Roon in perspective.

I’ll make the situation clear: I’m a lifetime subscriber, and I love Roon with my Linn Klimax DS/3 and my Chord DAC. YMMV

https://roonlabs.com/r/fsumbvGpoUCMnMMa846tCA

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back