2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
Jan 13, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #16 of 430
I have read somewhere that they are using wolfson dac.

Here is some descriptions from store.sony.com

1. Compact and lightweight for easy portability and use
  2. Hi-Res audio DAC/amplifier supports up to PCM 192kHz/24 bit
  3. Direct Digital Connection for smartphones, DMPs, iOs devices, and PCs
  4. Solid Sound: Wolfson DAC w/separate operational & headphone amps
  5. Sleek and durable aluminum enclosure

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #19 of 430
interesting. This is a PHA-1 with design of PHA-3.

How much is this unit?
Does it sound close to PHA-3?

The original PHA-1 and PHA-2 are failures. They don't sound any better than normal headphone output of a laptop.
PHA-3 is known to be an amazing sounding device.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #20 of 430
  interesting. This is a PHA-1 with design of PHA-3.

How much is this unit?
Does it sound close to PHA-3?

The original PHA-1 and PHA-2 are failures. They don't sound any better than normal headphone output of a laptop.
PHA-3 is known to be an amazing sounding device.

Dude...the PHA-2 does sound very good.  I'm not sure which laptop are you using but the PHA-2 that I used to have sounded very good with lower impedance phones/IEMs and way better than all of my laptops.  

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #27 of 430
I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but Sony has added pricing ($299) and availability (end of April) to their website. They are taking pre-orders.

Understanding that some clarification of the distortion spec for this unit is required, I am thinking that this unit paired with the A17 will be my next portable setup. Just hope that it is good.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #29 of 430
Hopefully there is some quality to be had at this price point. I have amp only units that cost more than this one does. For what I will use this setup for (work and travel) I am not willing to pay more. The price doubles as you go up the product line. You would hope that there are synergies to be found with the A17 that would make the pairing a good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back