2015 CanJam @ RMAF Impressions thread - (October 2-4, 2015)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #77 of 269
Did someone hear the new Elac F5 speakers ?

http://www.audiostream.com/content/elac-my-favorite-room-rmaf-2015-man-thats-just-crazy#OirqqGMILzAZOv1m.97

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/10/04/rmaf-2015-elac-is-electrifying/

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137722.0

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #79 of 269

Did I win? :wink:

Not yet, we'll be holding the drawing in the next few days or so.  
smile.gif

Quote:

​Prototype audiophile quality pen by AudioQuest (center). Suggested for use only at CanJams to take notes on high end gear. Expected retail price $499 for the silver and $899 for the gold. I haven't A/B tested it yet with the beyerdynamic pen or the Sennheiser pen. I expect the SennPen to draw warmer and deeper ink and the beyer pen to be brighter and more controversial.

Make sure to swing our table later!

Silver-barreled with black caps and accents.  Not sure what tips it comes with (as the above seems to be a prototype), but knowing RHA I'd be willing to bet that there'd be a plethora of nibs available, along with a handsome case.  The clip is integrated into the unit this time, which I rather like because I keep losing those things when they come as separate pieces.

The bottom end can be a bit heavy at times - especially if you're writing about pop, rap or EDM - but the weight is nicely balanced if you're writing about acoustic music.  Overall, it's a fun write, and its performance hits well above its weight class.  A very good value.  Not sure how long the warranty period is on this one, but I'd hazard a guess that it's 3-years.  It's always 3-years.

Do you mean beyerdynamic dt1770?

Beyer has one at their booth. Assuming u meant beyer

Woo Audio had one too, but I heard that someone literally bought it from them.  lol 

As opposed to figuratively?

Great to see Jude, Warren and bunch of other guys at the show.

Yes, sorry I didn't have time to chat.  
frown.gif
  Joe's blessing left some monumental shoes to fill, we were just trying to keep up.

NEW Cavalli Portable (Name TBD)
Holy smokes. The portable that changes everything.
-   Probably the best sounding portable amp ever made. I’m serious. Keep reading…
-  Drives the HE1000 with AUTHORITY. I’m going to catch hell for this, but I think it makes the HE1000 sound better than the Oppo HA-1 and the Schiit Ragnarok. This is not even remotely hyperbolic post show hype. It flat-out sounds better on this PORTABLE amp. I’m fully aware that this sounds crazy. It is really THAT good.
-   Bigger, beefier, more dynamic, resolving and impactful sound than most full size amps, including some $1k plus flagships. Seriously, this can be an end-game desktop AND portable unit for most Head-fi’ers. It really might be the only amp you ever need.
-   This is a true game changer in the portable category. The Cavalli house sound in your pocket.
-   15ish hours or so of battery life.
-   Not sure what the final price will be, but Alex gave me a range, and at that price, this is probably the biggest no-brainer hi-fi purchase you can make.
-   Due out in early 2016

I see we're starting with da crazy talk already... okay then let's do this!  
tongue.gif

I borrowed one of the portables on Saturday night, and proceeded to run a little stress test of my own.  With a Questyle QP1R as the source, I used the Cavalli portable to drive an JPS Labs Abyss (yes, an Abyss).  It was very linear throughout the entire frequency range, acting almost as a correction circuit in bringing out the lower mids (which lesser amps can sometimes struggle to output)... while rendering the Abyss's trademark bass presentation with impact, speed and texture.  The pairing was exceedingly clean and transparent, and even had a nicely layered soundstage.  Not once did the portable sound like it was straining, nor did I even tap into the portable's maximum volume.

Does anyone want to whip out some Cavalli Portable > HE-6 impressions for a trifecta?

I tried to go to the Unique Melody booth before 3PM but they were already gone.  Sigh...  I'd dropped off my ear impressions earlier for some RE-1000 custom IEM from UM and HiFiman, but was called away for an hour.  When I returned they had left early.

On that note, I'd like to offer my personal thanks to all of the wonderful exhibitors who stayed until the end of the show.  Your professionalism and courtesy is a testament to your dedication in serving our community, and we would be pleased to welcome you back to future CanJams.  
smile.gif
  Thanks guys!

A big SHOUT-OUT to Warren, Jude, Bob, Ethan, and others like Gilly87 and Stillhart!!

Are you home yet?

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #80 of 269

Well it was a little odd, given that Beyer was right across the aisle from Woo.  

For the record, I was going for some clever metaphor, which failed my sleep-addled brain and left a vestigial "literally" in the middle of that sentence.  But I don't need grammar; I is teh Karting Champions!

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #81 of 269

Well it was a little odd, given that Beyer was right across the aisle from Woo.  

For the record, I was going for some clever metaphor, which failed my sleep-addled brain and left a vestigial "literally" in the middle of that sentence.  But I don't need grammar; I is teh Karting Champions!

Go Team Head-Fi!  
smile.gif
  I should have taken the time to teach you the Head-Fi Gang Sign.

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #82 of 269

Go Team Head-Fi!  
smile.gif

Is that the one where you hold your hand about face-height with the palm facing towards yourself and all the fingers curled into a fist except for the thumb and middle finger?

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #83 of 269

Go Team Head-Fi!  
smile.gif

Is that the one where you hold your hand about face-height with the palm facing towards yourself and all the fingers curled into a fist except for the thumb and middle finger?

Lol, no, it's close to that but not exactly that.  I actually have my palm facing down on the mouse, so that my forefinger can fire off the PM which invites people to join the grand prix.  
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #84 of 269

Lol, no, it's close to that but not exactly that.  I actually have my palm facing down on the mouse, so that my forefinger can fire off the PM which invites people to join the grand prix.  
evil_smiley.gif

I heard that Dan's invitation was going to 'accidentally' get lost next year...

...at least that's what Jude said. 
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #85 of 269
Mmmmm.... salty!

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #86 of 269

evil_smiley.gif

I heard that Dan's invitation was going to 'accidentally' get lost next year...

...at least that's what Jude said. 
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously who knows how this Interwebs thing works... just a bunch of tubes apparently... or magic.

Mmmmm.... salty!

Um... I promise you I was going to say something brilliant just now.  Anyway, um, probably best in PM as we're now way off topic.

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #87 of 269

NEW Cavalli Portable (Name TBD)
Holy smokes. The portable that changes everything.
-   Probably the best sounding portable amp ever made. I’m serious. Keep reading…
-  Drives the HE1000 with AUTHORITY. I’m going to catch hell for this, but I think it makes the HE1000 sound better than the Oppo HA-1 and the Schiit Ragnarok. This is not even remotely hyperbolic post show hype. It flat-out sounds better on this PORTABLE amp. I’m fully aware that this sounds crazy. It is really THAT good.
-   Bigger, beefier, more dynamic, resolving and impactful sound than most full size amps, including some $1k plus flagships. Seriously, this can be an end-game desktop AND portable unit for most Head-fi’ers. It really might be the only amp you ever need.
-   This is a true game changer in the portable category. The Cavalli house sound in your pocket.
-   15ish hours or so of battery life.
-   Not sure what the final price will be, but Alex gave me a range, and at that price, this is probably the biggest no-brainer hi-fi purchase you can make.
-   Due out in early 2016

I see we're starting with da crazy talk already... okay then let's do this!  
tongue.gif

I borrowed one of the portables on Saturday night, and proceeded to run a little stress test of my own.  With a Questyle QP1R as the source, I used the Cavalli portable to drive an JPS Labs Abyss (yes, an Abyss).  It was very linear throughout the entire frequency range, acting almost as a correction circuit in bringing out the lower mids (which lesser amps can sometimes struggle to output)... while rendering the Abyss's trademark bass presentation with impact, speed and texture.  The pairing was exceedingly clean and transparent, and even had a nicely layered soundstage.  Not once did the portable sound like it was straining, nor did I even tap into the portable's maximum volume.

Does anyone want to whip out some Cavalli Portable > HE-6 impressions for a trifecta?

I had my HE-6 there, but didn't think to try it.
frown.gif
 Alex didn't think it would. If I knew you had used it successfully with the Abyss, I would have given the HE-6 a go!

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #88 of 269

Seriously who knows how this Interwebs thing works... just a bunch of tubes apparently... or magic.

Um... I promise you I was going to say something brilliant just now.  Anyway, um, probably best in PM as we're now way off topic.

I have it on good authority that tubes don't actually have to make the internet sound warmer and more distorted.

On topic, those new Fostex mk3 cans were surprisingly good.  Anyone else get a chance to hear them? 

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #89 of 269

No, it's the one where you hold your hand about face-height with the palm facing towards yourself and all the fingers curled into the fist except the pinkie finger and index and middle fingers stuck together and your tongue in between the pinkie and middle finger. :wink:

BTW, I will probably be at CanJam SoCal or RMAF next year.

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #90 of 269
  I had my HE-6 there, but didn't think to try it.
frown.gif
 Alex didn't think it would. If I knew you had used it successfully with the Abyss, I would have given the HE-6 a go!

Aww man... we will probably never know how that would go down.

I have it on good authority that tubes don't actually have to make the internet sound warmer and more distorted.

Lol, no, they don't.  
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back