2012 Sennheiser 650 which amp/dac to choose from *a list*
Nov 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Couch Potato

Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of sennheiser hd650, still dont have an amp/dac for it

after reading some threads off this forum im now Currently interested in:

-O2 ODAC combo (or should i wait for the ODA to come out?)
-Schiit Valhalla/Bifrost Combo
-Maverick Tube Magic A1 Amp, Tube Magic D1 Dac Combo
-Icon HDP by NuForce

any head fi'ers advice?

thanks for reading

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 18
At this point, it doesn't look like ODA will come out any time soon. V hasn't touched his blog in months, it really depends on when you want to get it.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 18
The crack would probably sound better than the valhalla actually, but it's diy, and if you don't build it you have to pay 150 dollars for them to assemble it. Anyways, i would go with crack/valhalla/lyr and the bifrost. I did not like the 650 with the o2 at all, it seemed lifeless and bored me. I'm not sure about the maverick and the nuforce, but just so you know, you don't have to get the d1 and the a1, the d1 is a amp/dac in one.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 18
if you use for the A1 (specially with NOS rayetheon tubes) and D1, IME it would be too warm for your already warm hd650 unless you like that kind of sound. i personally scratch them off your list.

also i would go for asgard/bifrost combo than valhalla/bifrost because it is abit cheaper and the asgard matches the hd650 very well.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 18
The crack would probably sound better than the valhalla actually, but it's diy, and if you don't build it you have to pay 150 dollars for them to assemble it.

They have stopped offering the $150 build service.

I did not like the 650 with the o2 at all, it seemed lifeless and bored me.
Agreed. I like the O2 for my orthos but the 650 loses a lot of its magic.

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
so no one has used Maverick Tube Magic D1 Dac /w Amp inside?
im mentioning this is because it has Toslink (Optical) plug which i can also link it up to my Z5500 speaker and PC Laptop

I have heard about the Maverick. How do you think the components compare with a nice interphase like Apogee's Duet (or Duet 2)? 

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #11 of 18
Nov 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #12 of 18
I've got HD 650 too, and I think you would be wise to add Asus Xonar Essence One (which is another HDP) to your list of options. It has the option of swapping opamps, so you can tweak the sound signature to your liking. Opamps are available on ebay. Changing the operational amplifiers on E1 is fairly easy, much like putting a RAM module in your computer, and ASUS has a manual on how to do it – warranty will not be voided.

Now, I have not done this myself, I think the thing sounds great out of the box, but people who has done it are really amazed by the performance they're able to draw out of this thing. Just search the forums and see for yourself. Currently I'm waiting for a handful of opamps I bought on ebay, and I can hardly wait to see what that yields. :)

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #13 of 18
I had the Maverick.  It is rubbish.  Skip.

Quote:
so no one has used Maverick Tube Magic D1 Dac /w Amp inside?
im mentioning this is because it has Toslink (Optical) plug which i can also link it up to my Z5500 speaker and PC Laptop

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
I had the Maverick.  It is rubbish.  Skip.

I have to agree with Hodgjy, the D1 isn't up to the task, it actually doesn't sound good. at all. imho
The A1 is better but still not good. The Crack would be the best amp for the money, even combined with a simple cheap dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back