2010 Winter Olympics - do you care?
Feb 14, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #61 of 103
Yeah, I care. To sound like a teenager, this stuff is awesome! I just saw Apollo Ono win a silver medal in short track skating. Stunning race. The Koreans were 1,2,3, and then, in a blink of an eye, number 2 and 3 (Lee Ho Suk, perhaps an even greater skater than Ono) took each other out, leaving Apollo with a silver. Even with all the strength and speed, what intrigues me about short track is that it is so temperamental and slight; one blink, one move, you're out. Conversely; one blink, one move, you've won gold.

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #62 of 103
Hockey tournament can be stellar if the referees manage to stand up against the pressure. Hopefully Sweden will defend their gold medal though have some problems with goalies so doubt it.

Otherwise cross country skiing and downhill is what is interesting.

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #63 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even with all the strength and speed, what intrigues me about short track is that it is so temperamental and slight; one blink, one move, you're out. Conversely; one blink, one move, you've won gold.

I must say that is my favorite event now. The whole of the above, adds up to a very tense viewing experience if one can claim a strong rooting interest.

One broadcast innovation I've come to appreciate, are the rail cams. Like during the moguls yesterday, the wide moving shot brought home how fast and eloquently the ladies navigated down the hill. That was amazing to watch.

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #64 of 103
Quote:

Yeah, I care. To sound like a teenager, this stuff is awesome! I just saw Apollo Ono win a silver medal in short track skating. Stunning race. The Koreans were 1,2,3, and then, in a blink of an eye, number 2 and 3 (Lee Ho Suk, perhaps an even greater skater than Ono) took each other out, leaving Apollo with a silver. Even with all the strength and speed, what intrigues me about short track is that it is so temperamental and slight; one blink, one move, you're out. Conversely; one blink, one move, you've won gold.

Hell Yes! That was the best short track race so far......I wonder if the Korean team mates are talking to each other,YET.......Hey davidhunterny, don't they race again next Saturday???? maybe a "longer"(laps) short track speed race!!!! I'm with you it's a good break from my cans for a hr or so......

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #66 of 103
Quote:

I love short track, it's so exciting! Though, really, Ohno just lucked out at the end, he was in no real position to place save that crash.

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #67 of 103
I am looking forward to the Olympics. I'm watching them now, in fact.

I was a ski racer back in the day, so I'm looking forward to that of course. But I enjoy a lot of different events, including the figure skating.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #73 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 2010 Winter Olympics start tomorrow.
My impression is Team USA is weak, NBC is losing over $150 million and Americans simply don't care about these games.
The opposite, IMHO, is the case in Canada, we are for once expected to dominate the overall medal count, you can't spit without hitting something olympic related, and if Team Canada makes the Gold Medal in Men's Hockey it is expected to be the most watched television event in Canadian history...not just sporting event.
So:
Do Americans care?
Do Canadians care?
Do International Head-fiers care?

crap -- that poll is horrible...I meant to add yes or no...is there anyway to edit a Poll?
(smacks self in head)

Well considering America is still in the lead in the medal count I wouldn't say we are "weak" but we certainly have a stronger team in the summer then the winter.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #74 of 103
american that cares! the olympics are one of the most positive ideals on this planet. good sportmanship is number one along with pride in all things. its a geat escape from the realities of governments gone bad. the purpose of the olympics is to put your best foot forward and run with it imo. meet and greet people from all over and show how good people can make a difference. if you dont care thats fine also,but it is extremely hard not to get caught up and feel good when the olympics are on! hopefully more people will do good things for others after feeling such a rush from the whole experience. just my 2 cents.

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #75 of 103
To be honest, I find the Olympics a big waste of money. Better things for a country to spend money on and a lot of companies and countries do not see dividends from the tourism.

I watched, off and on, bits of the opening ceremonies and I thought some of the fiddling was nice, but didn't care much for the musical performances nor the neckbeard guy at the end with his poem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back