2009 College Football Thread
Feb 3, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #1,081 of 1,108
Same here SA Nole. I've had three tabs open all morning along with the radio. That said, the Big 12 isn't that exciting anymore since so many kids commit early compared to some of the other conferences.

Still, it's fun to see the names come in, and there has been a surprise or two.

Brimstone Aggie if you're reading, payback is a biatch. Fuller was my first thought after Nelson switched.
tongue.gif
Just kiddin' old friend; had to get that jab in.

Happy NSD!

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #1,082 of 1,108
It has lost a tiny bit of luster for me too. FSU used to encourage recruits to take all of their officials, so almost our whole class would be uncommitted going into NSD. And Bobby Bowden sure was great at closing.

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #1,083 of 1,108
That's an understatement. Bowden was a legendary closer. Every year like clockwork, the Noles filled up on NSD.

The best HC recruiter ever for OU was Barry Switzer. That guy could sell ice to Eskimo. Stoops is top tier, but he has a bit of a different approach and "reportedly" (not like his number is on my speed dial) will never hard sell a kid.

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #1,084 of 1,108
We signed a very typical class for us - small, at just 17, since at NU 98%+ of our guys who come in as freshmen graduate from NU, so we have very little attrition. We return 16 of 22 starters, as well. Our class was solid, but not spectacular. But we never get spectacular recruits - we get good athletes who are smart enough to hack NU academically, and Coach Fitz shoots for kids who fit the system well, which means strong work ethic.

We did get some positions we needed - although I kinda expected more than 1 running back.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #1,086 of 1,108
It depends on how one defines spectacular, but to me it's more the depth of the class that matters. Recruits are gambles, and stars and rankings are all bets. Hence, you want as many good bets as possible. With that in mind, the story of the Big Ten this years is PSU. This is their first big boy class in a while, where depth is concerned. That hasn't been the case lately. There have been good nuggets but no the floor to ceiling prospects the elite schools land.

Obviously the real jaw droppers are Florida, USC, and Texas. No coincidence that the three current marquee schools from the three largest recruiting beds, are hauling in highly regarded prospects.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #1,087 of 1,108
With Lane Kiffin at the helm, USC could recruit every one of the top 100 players in the country, and they are still DOOMED.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #1,088 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With Lane Kiffin at the helm, USC could recruit every one of the top 100 players in the country, and they are still DOOMED.

I hope so
smily_headphones1.gif
let oregon hang onto that #1 spot in the pac-10 for a while!

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #1,090 of 1,108
Not a badger but I sure am an Oklahoma SOONER!!!!

My parents went to OU and now I go too! Truly born and bred!!!!!

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #1,091 of 1,108
It's been nice to read a little about Spring Ball - I'm thinking about taking the kids up to the Spring Game at the end of the month if the weather is nice.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #1,093 of 1,108
Yeah, nothing going on in college football at all! 
biggrin.gif

Looks like my Devils will be getting stomped by OU and Texas every year instead of USC and Oregon.

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #1,094 of 1,108
As a Sooner I think I like probable upcoming changes.  Overall better competition and deeper conference.  Might be a bit more tough to run the table, but I think it will make a team like OU stronger.  One thing that must happen is that the winner of each 8 team division gets an automatic BCS bowl bid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back