2009 CanJam@RMAF Gear Registration (Friends, Countrymen, lend us your gear!)
Aug 26, 2009 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Sherwood

Headphoneus Supremus
At the behest of JP#s, I'd like to start the thread here for gear registration for the Head-Fi room at RMAF. Any of you who have read the welcoming paragraph here know that, while RMAF's intentions are noble, they don't fully understand the possibilities of headphone listening as an alternative to speakers. Let us, together, help them understand by barraging them with awesome.

If you are attending the show and would like to set up a meet-style table to showcase your gear, here is where you let everyone know what you are bringing and how much space you anticipate needing.

Keep in mind, gentlemen, the cost of bringing an extra suitcase with you is nothing in comparison to the pride you will feel when you show all those speaker guys up with your crazy awesome gear.

There is a possibility that some of you would like to show your Head-Fi Pride by shipping gear to the meet, but cannot yourselves attend. If you find yourself in that situation, please feel free to PM me and we'll see if your gear can't be mated to a "contributor system" of some sort.

I'll keep this list updated as more individuals register. The following is a list of individuals who will display some gear at the show:

1. Sherwood
2. HeadphoneAddict
3. WiatroB
4. Jp11801
5. Asr
6. AmanGeorge
7. BarleyGuy
8. Golden Ears
9. jude
10. GreenMan9
11. Mister Crash
12. You?

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 41
My gear will be one transport, one dynamic amp, one electrostatic amp, and one or two DAC - with 1-3 headphones per amp:

Marantz CD5001 > synergistic research powered active shielded coax > PS Audio Digital Link III DAC XLR out > ALO SXC or anti-cables XLR > Jensen Transformers XLR-RCA converter > ALO SXC or anti-cables RCA > EC ZDT amp > HD800, and maybe the K1000 and LA7000.

Also using the PS Audio DLIII DAC RCA out > ALO SXC or anti-cables RCA > Woo GES > HE Audio Jade, O2 Mk1 and HE60.

If I want to skip the XLR-RCA transformer I might use the Apogee mini-DAC to feed the ZDT in parallel with the PS Audio DLIII feeding the GES, since the Marantz has optical and coax out and I can use a separate DAC for each amp. I might use the Marantz RCA out to feed the HEV70 for HE60, since it's so small and easy to transport (and the RCA out doesn't suck at all).

My son and I might bring an HF-2 and HD600 to wander around with, and listen to other rigs with our familiar headphones.

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 41
I'll be there with my sonic studio's 302 computer interface, mac mini and 1.5 TB drive but I'm not so sure on an amp at the moment. Bringing the stacker would be awesome but it is risky as it has no box, no bottom plate and is a beta build. Maybe I'll see if there us a really great amp I can borrow for the event.

Thanks Sherwood for starting this and getting people together for this event.

We'll have a 30 x 30 area and more space can be arranged if needed depending on the sign ups.

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be there with my sonic studio's 302 computer interface, mac mini and 1.5 TB drive but I'm not so sure on an amp at the moment. Bringing the stacker would be awesome but it is risky as it has no box, no bottom plate and is a beta build. Maybe I'll see if there us a really great amp I can borrow for the event.

Thanks Sherwood for starting this and getting people together for this event.

We'll have a 30 x 30 area and more space can be arranged if needed depending on the sign ups.

I might be able to loan you a maxed Woo WA6 for your rig. I'm trying to keep my load light so I don't over-do things again, so if you find another amp to use let me know.

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 41
For what it's worth, I'll be bringing my iMac as source into the ESS Sabre DAC in the Peachtree Nova out to my Firstwatt F1 clone (assuming it arrives in time and is awesome). I'll likely also have my SR-Lambdas through an energizer, and my vintage RS-1s through the Novas excellent Headphone section. Everything's gonna be powered through my spiffy PS Audio P300 AC regenerator.

Same basic rig as the last CO meet, with the addition of the PS Audio piece and the F1.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 41
I'm planning to be there, but it looks like I'll be flying in. I had thought about making the drive, but that doesn't look practical at the moment. Would it be helpful to bring some headphones? I'm not willing to ship an amp and source, but it would be little trouble to pack the HD-800 and/or a few others along. Would that be helpful?

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 41
Absolutely it would, Erik. I expect to receive some other orphaned items (amps, sources, etc.) so I'm sure we could mate your headphones up somewhere, or find you some associated equipment to make a system around your cans.

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 41
Not totally sure about the rig I'll be bringing yet. If the Rethm tube amp I'm having built is complete, I will bring my whole rig:
PS Audio DLIII -> Rethm tube amp -> K701/CD3000/SRH840

Erik - is your DLIII Cullen modded?

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 41
Hi. I'm planning to be there on Saturday. I have to work Friday and am gaming on Sunday.

My best gear is a small subset of Wiatrob's gear: CTH amp, damped YH-3 orthodynamics, and Grado SR225i. I don't have enough to justify a whole table I don't think. I can bring it along though.

EDIT: BTW, I realize this event is vacation worthy, but my company has a launch on October 6th, and asking for time off would fall somewhere between "hell no" and "are you crazy?"

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 41
I would also like to come.... do we have to pay an admission fee? Also looking for a place to crash.. in Denver- if I am there for 3 days.

I could bring Edition 9 + V3 cable Millet portable, Imod 80gig + Imod Alo LOD Jumbo possible Apogee Mini DAC

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 41
To Harley and the gentleman from Aspen: Excellent! I'll be glad to have all comers.

RMAF does have an admission fee, the link is in my sig. There is no admission fee to exhibit at Canjam, though, so just bring whatever you can, and I'll see to it that you get some space.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 41
Yep it looks like I'm definitely bringing the stuff in the post above, plus probably a set of Rethm interconnects.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To Harley and the gentleman from Aspen: Excellent! I'll be glad to have all comers.

RMAF does have an admission fee, the link is in my sig. There is no admission fee to exhibit at Canjam, though, so just bring whatever you can, and I'll see to it that you get some space.

Tyler, can you please tell me what hotel room the CanJam peeps are setting up in? I need the info for the person at the Hotel to place me close, because of my disability. She hasn't been given a vendor list, and the ones that book rooms usually know where they are displaying already.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #14 of 41
Definitely Larry. I'll get that info tomorrow, and post it up here for anyone else interested.

Also, please feel free to lean on any of us for any assistance you might need.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely Larry. I'll get that info tomorrow, and post it up here for anyone else interested.

Also, please feel free to lean on any of us for any assistance you might need.

Well, do you have a small video monitor for an Apple TV (S-video, composite or HDMI) to use that as my optical digital transport instead of the CD player?
tongue.gif

I have a cheap 6" LCD screen (composite) that is difficult to read because of poor resolution. I don't even know if the Apple TV would be a good low-jitter transport for my PS Audio DLIII, anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back