2008 College Football Thread!
Oct 2, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #271 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brimstone, are you still alive buddy? Is there a reason to believe your beloved Aggies (+21.5) might cover Saturday night?

Zzzzzz... ehhh... what? Oh, hey man. Yeah, pass me that bottle... Saturday? Oh yeah, we cover. Win? No way, but cover, yeah. Zzzzzz...

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #273 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FSU is @ Miami (-3). Dog or chalk S.A. Nole?

My first thought is chalk.
frown.gif

I tivo'd UM's loss to UNC and their win over TAMU, I'm going to check a little of both out and give a more informed opinion later tonight.

Oct 2, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #274 of 756
Unless FSU's defenders strap some weights to their ankles, you should not believe that Miami's players are as fast as they look on the TAMU tape. A&M players are 30% slower than anyone else's.

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #275 of 756
Well, I certainly feel your pain. I wanted to be encouraged though, so I watched mostly the UNC game

In my observation, I see FSU and UM as two very similar teams. Both have first year QB's, both have solid defensive front 4's, both have a ton of talented but green receivers, and what stood out most was both have horrendous secondaries.

Thus, my thought process is, who is better equipped to beat those secondaries, Marve or Ponder? Sadly, I think it is Marve. He has much more consistently hit on the intermediate to deep routes, while Ponder has struggled with timing, often the ball is coming out way too late, and he puts a little too much air under it. As a result, I'm sticking with chalk. I do think FSU is capable of dinking and dunking to a win, but being at UM, I'm not expecting it. With that said, I desperately want this game. A win really could build some momentum for the program.

For reasons probably uninteresting, and as such I won't express, I think both teams would benefit from a shift in defensive strategy for this game. FSU should play more in zone coverage instead of Micky Andrews' man, and UM playing more man than cover two.

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #278 of 756
Another one bites the dust: USF did not look that good in last night's game. Pitt is quietly 4-1, with just that awkward season-opening loss to Bowling Green.

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #282 of 756
Some interesting games yesterday for sure. My random thoughts:

> GO VANDY! Great game, great win.

> Duke, not so much.

> Let's see...Penn State > Illinois > Michigan > Wisconsin which is approx = OSU. Did I get that right?

> Can Alabama really be that much better than Georgia but not that much better than Kentucky?

> I am really glad Oklahoma and Texas play each other. But if it's a close game throughout, we still won't know very much. Thank goodness Texas Tech and Mizzou are also very, very good (Texas plays Mizzou, but you OU fans know the Sooners do not until/unless they meet in the B12 title game).

> How can USC crush Oregon and lose to Oregon State?

> I expect the upcoming Michigan State - Northwestern game will feature two ranked teams
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #283 of 756
I wouldn't necessarily count my chickens about Northwestern being ranked as they didn't play this week. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't put it as entirely likely either.

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #284 of 756
I know it isn't a given, but since #22, #23, and #24 all lost, and since Maryland and Kentucky also lost, I think there is a very real chance that we will be, as will the Spartans.

The MSU - NU matchup looks like a pretty good one. They both just played Iowa, with largely similar results. In NU's favor is that they beat Iowa in Iowa City, play MSU in Evanston, and will be coming off a week of rest. On the other hand, stopping Javon Ringer doesn't look like too much fun, and MSU's defense looked a lot better against Iowa than it did against Indiana. MSU has had tougher tests than we have with the CAL and ND games, to be sure. I'm very nervous about the game but I think we have a chance.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #285 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's see...Penn State > Illinois > Michigan > Wisconsin which is approx = OSU. Did I get that right?

I defer to you Big Ten guys where conference strength is concerned. For kicks, here is what an outsider like I has opined, ranking only teams I've watched..

tOSU>Penn State>Illinois>Wisky>MSU>IMichigan>Indiana>Purdue

I haven't watched Northwestern yet, which should be remedied this week. That game will be the highlight of the 3:30Et slot along with ND at UNC.

--

I don't know what to take from yesterday. The sport took a breath before next week's big collisions. My day began with Penn State - a team I'm not completely sold is top ten. To these eyes, their hog eaters aren't top tier quality. More analysis is needed, and the next three games should provide more conclusive.

The rest of the day was primarily spent with the have or have not XII. There are six good teams (three or so great), and a bunch of so so's. The South is toughed division in football, hands down. 1. OU 5. UT 7. TTU 21. OkSU who is underanked. Those guys are going to start chewin' on eachother. In the North, it's the same old story. 'zou is the class with everyone else hanging around. KU is going to fall by the wayside quickly. They're not the same team this year. So Tiger fans can book their ticked to Kansas City barring a rash of injuries.

The Texas Longhorns are about to enter a meat grinder. Check out their next four games:

#1Oklahoma (Dallas)
vs. #4 Missouri
vs. #21 Okie State
@ #7 Texas Tech

Users who are viewing this thread

Back