2006 NBA Playoffs Thread
Apr 30, 2006 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 158

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
Lakers Win! Lakers Win! Good lord, these playoffs have been good. Last year's round 1 was so boring in comparison. Then again Lakers didn't even make those, so maybe I'm biased. But still. All love to the clips and the bulls too.

How are your teams doing?

edit: oh yeah, if you didn't see the laker game, they're now up 3-1 and nash got stripped at the last seconds of regulation and walton forced a jump ball at the end of OT so Kobe could send it to OT and then get the W with 2 gorgeous last second shots. I feel good. Time to study for finals.

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 158
I think this game can really shut up all those Kobe-haters. He did not hog the ball, was the team leader in assists, shot well over 50 percent from the field, and made the game-winning shot.

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 158
He hit two buzzer beaters in the same playoff game. The first to get them into overtime and another to win the game.

Kobe Bryant is the best all-court player in the NBA. Hands down. I can understand people not liking his personality, but recognize the game.

Controlling tempo, setting up teammates, getting the best shot for himself or his teammates, getting to the foul line, playing individual lockdown defense, closing a game, clutch shooting, reliable foul shooting, etc. etc. etc.

Smush Parker, Luke Walton, Brian Cook, Sasha Vujacic, and Kwame Brown are all playing significant minutes in the playoffs and on the verge of taking out the 2nd seed. How is any of this even possible? Kobe Bryant.

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 158
^

Couldn't have said it better. But I also have to give credit to Phil Jackson, who was somehow able to convince Kobe to change his style in the playoffs and getting him to buy into the game plan.

May 1, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 158
Yeah, I'm very surprized by the Lakers, but even more impressed with the Bulls beating the Heat again. I'm just disappointed that Chandler sprained his ankle today. Hopefully the Bulls can continue to take it to the Heat. I love it.

Anyway, living in the Detroit area, I have to say that I'm a die-hard Piston fan, which ain't bad these last few years. I was a bit surprized by the loss to the Bucks yesterday, especially a blow-out, but I gotta believe that the Pistons will wrap this up in no more than 6 games - tops. Props to Milwaukee, though, for a game well played.

May 1, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 158
I thought that the Sun was robbed of time out and foul. Steve Nash was bumped and fouled by Luke Walton and another player; on the other hand, I admire Kobe for making the game winning shot. Amazing game.

May 1, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 158
I object to Kobe for reasons other than his propensity to take shots whenever he wants.

Is he a good player who can make insane baskets? Yes.

Are the Lakers better without Shaq? No.

Whenever a team begins to cater to a particular player's "needs," it is no longer about winning. This would explain why the Lakers can't play defense and Kobe is encouraged to shoot the ball thirty times a game.

-Matt

May 1, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #11 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27

Whenever a team begins to cater to a particular player's "needs," it is no longer about winning. This would explain why the Lakers can't play defense and Kobe is encouraged to shoot the ball thirty times a game.

-Matt

I would have agreed with you if this were the regular season. Yes, during the regular season, the Lakers was nothing but a one man show with Kobe forcing shots and everyone else standing around. But the series against Phoenix is a huge turn around. Kobe did not ball hog, he wasn't forcing anything. Instead, he became more of a set-up man, distributing the ball to his teammates and trusting them to make the shots.

As for defense, the Lakers held the Suns below 100 points for three out of the four games thus far. That is an incredible achievement considering the Suns are one of the highest-scoring teams during the regular season.

And now the Lakers are up 3-1, on the verge of pulling a huge upset. And Kobe hasn't even scored more than 30 points in a game yet. He leads the team in assists in this series, and has not taken more than 30 shots in any of the games in the series. Now in the face of all this fact, how can anyone still say that Kobe is a selfish ballhog that has no team concept?

May 1, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I object to Kobe for reasons other than his propensity to take shots whenever he wants.

Is he a good player who can make insane baskets? Yes.

Are the Lakers better without Shaq? No.

-Matt

Matt, you do realize that if Dr. Buss paid Shaq the maximum for max years like he wanted (no, demanded!) then the Lakers would be in the dumps for several years. You seen Shaq his last two playoff games? You do not extend a big man in the twilight of his career for the max and handcuff your franchise for years to come with no cap flexibility. Better to lose Shaq one year early as opposed to several years too late. Dr. Buss made the right decision and I really cannot see how you can say otherwise considering Shaq is an injury machine and he is no longer dominant.

If you're a Laker fan you've got to be excited that we only had 1 down year. We're already in the playoffs since the trade and making noise. And we have the best player in the game who is only 27 years old. With players who are finally starting to show some promise in Kwame Brown (unbelievable how he has changed the last couple weeks of the regular season and in these playoffs) and Lamar Odom finally starting to play like he should. These guys are all in their early to mid twenties.

I root for the players still in the forum blue and gold, that is Kobe and not Shaq. Lest we forget that Shaq demanded to be traded, even after Dr. Buss offered him a very handsome contract extension. And dude never misses an opportunity to take shots at Dr. Buss and the Laker front office.
mad.gif
I'm grateful for everything Shaq did while he was a Laker, but he went out like a chump. I'll welcome him back years after he ends his career so that we can raise his jersey to the Staples Center rafters, but until then, peace out Shaq!

May 1, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #13 of 158
I fail to see how Kobe Bryant is indisputably the best player in the game, given Lebron James' (stronger inside, younger) and Dwayne Wade's (better defensively, younger) performances. Both of these players have higher FG percentages and are only going to get better, whereas Kobe has reached his peak and still can't out-rebound or setup players the way those two players have. The only reason why those two players don't rack up points the way Kobe has is because both of them have a better supporting cast of players.

I'd agree with you that retaining Shaq was not the best move for the Lakers; what I do disagree with is one of the underlying motives for making that move, which was to accommodate Kobe. The Lakers' draft and trade strategy in recent years has not helped their cause; whether it's nepotism (Luke Walton) or myopic talent evaluation (Kwame Brown), this team is going to fall flat on its face for want of depth.

-Matt

May 1, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #14 of 158
Borat & humanflyz,

I have to agree that there is nothing but down for Miami. Seeing how Kobe played for the last 4 games, I started to admire him. Kobe is now willing be a set up man for his teammates and willing to take over game in a critical period is showing his maturity.

You also have to credit a zen master for coming up with how to play the Sun. If the Laker beat the Sun in the first round, Steve Nash is not deserving of the MVP title.

May 1, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 158
Quote:

I fail to see how Kobe Bryant is indisputably the best player in the game, given Lebron James' (stronger inside, younger) and Dwayne Wade's (better defensively, younger) performances. Both of these players have higher FG percentages and are only going to get better, whereas Kobe has reached his peak and still can't out-rebound or setup players the way those two players have. The only reason why those two players don't rack up points the way Kobe has is because both of them have a better supporting cast of players.

Watching Lebron playing against the Wizard today indicated that he is still not up there with Kobe. He might be better than Kobe and MJ at his age, but he is yet to be as good as Kobe. Kobe is known for both offense and defense, where Lebron is still not there in defense department. Lebron also failed to realize when to take over the game. He has a PG metallity on passing the ball first, but when he needs to carry the team...he oftens failed to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back